Should Ford give the minivan another chance?

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ford give the minivan another chance?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

With reactions to the new Flex now abundant, it seems obvious that it will only appeal to a certain segment of current minivan buyers. Given the fragmenting of the current market, would it be wise for Ford to also develop a new traditional minivan?

If Ford can supposedly get by on 100K units of Flex production to make it profitable, wouldn't it also be reasonable to assume that they could design a new minivan that would only need similar volume to be profitable?

With both a traditional minivan AND the Flex on the lot (in addition to their crop of SUVs/CUVs), I believe dealers would have a much better chance of appealing to every type of family buyer that comes to one of their lots. Why simply abandon the minivan segment when there are no signs that it is going away? I would think it's large enough to safely sustain a traditional minivan at 100K units or so a year. Even with the Freestar completely ignored, outdated, and discontinued, it sold around half that in 2006.

Yes, but only if they can produce it on the same platform as an existing, or future, product. If it is a stand-alone platform, it's not worth it.

Well, I'm basing this on the assumption that it could very likely be spawned from D3 or EUCD with minimal effort. I don't think it would be much of a stretch to modify the Flex to accept a more traditional minivan-type body.

The only thing it will do is fracture what Ford has now even more, Whats the sense in having the following:

Escape

Edge

Minivan

Taurus X

Explorer

Flex

Expedition

If Ford offered a Minivan, the Taurus X and the Flex, The Taurus X and Minivan would be taking sales away from one another (due to pricing), to the point that it wouldn't be profitable to have either one.

I'd rather see Ford go after a decent sized Niche instead of being players for everything and anything.

If Ford offered a Minivan, the Taurus X and the Flex, The Taurus X and Minivan would be taking sales away from one another (due to pricing), to the point that it wouldn't be profitable to have either one.

I tend to disagree, since the buyer looking for a minivan isn't even going to consider the Taurus X, and likely won't consider the Flex either.

That's the beauty of platform-sharing though. You don't need to sell a ton of either model to make them both profitable, just so long as they can share a lot of beneath-the-skin components.

Ford needs a vehicle with sliding side doors. Whether you want to call it a CUV or a minivan, if you want to sell to younger families, you need to have it.

Seriously...NO YOU DON'T! Like I said before, people will give up the "convenience" of a Minivan with sliders, just not to be in a minivan.

Most people would pick style over something that is convenient when it comes to a car...why where SUV sales so much better then Minivan sales for years? Because people didn't like minivans and SUV's where a trendy alternative to them. Also the US Population is getting older in age and there are less younger children for at least the next 10-15 years.

Well the truth is that Ford already sells several minivans...

Escape

Edge

Taurus X

Flex ( future )

These are "SUV STYLED" minivans that men will drive.

I would hate to see Ford wasting big $$$ to desing a brand new vehicle to chase a shrinking market. The "Soccer Mom Styled" minivan is quickly becoming un-fashonable. Women ( primary target of minivans ) are fashon orented and tend to follow the current fad or trends. The current trend is to move away from the "Soccer Mom Styled" minivan. Of course Men typically do not want to admit that they drive a minivan. That is why the "SUV Styled" minivan, or crossover if you will, was invented.

There, of course, are women, and some men, who could care less about the image that their vehicle displays and simply want the most practicle mode of famly transportation. The classis "Soccer Mom Styled" minivan will always make more sense. However, the number of people who do not care about image are quite small compared to the people who do care about image.

If I were Ford, I would figure out how to add sliding doors to the Flex and the Mazda CX-9 as a model option to pick up this shrinking market...

Edited by sranger

How old are your kids, if you have any? I have 3, 10 and under. At my kids elementary school, we pick the kids up while driving up to a "squawk" box and saying our families designated number. Then we drive up to the gym, and the kids are released to get into the parent's waiting vehicle. Since we have gone to this system two years ago, the number of new minivans in the line to pick them up has skyrocketed. Why? Because the parent can put the vehicle in park, press a button, and the door automatically opens and closes, thus the kindergarteners through 2nd graders can get in and out of the cars without the parent leaving the drivers seat.

We are seriously considering a minivan when the Explorer is paid off just because of this feature, and both my wife and I despise minivans.

No kids yet (or at least none that I know of :P ) but my sister has an Explorer with an almost 1 year old. Her best Friend has a 2 year old and an Explorer. Her Sister in Law has an Explorer with a 5 and 7 year old...no Minivans.

I know people who have them, but those three above have told me they will NEVER have a minivan and they are all under the age of 37...

I have a DCX minivan for a business trip and while it was nice with the sliding doors, I would never buy one just because its a minivan.

Trust me when I tell you, the majority of the parents that DONT, wish to get out of the car to open doors, SHOULD get out of the car and exercise some! That, and the kids better start helping one another getting into the vehicle, or learn to do some heavy manual labor. We are raising a generation of lazy obese kids for this very reason. How did we manage decades ago ?

Back to basics...

But yes I agree, since majority of people are getting lazier, the convinience of power sliding doors I believe are important for such vehicles. We need to adapt to consumers tastes, and this particular taste is one that won't go away.

At my kids elementary school, we pick the kids up while driving up to a "squawk" box and saying our families designated number. Then we drive up to the gym, and the kids are released to get into the parent's waiting vehicle.

Welcome to 1984. That sounds more like a prison camp than an elementary school. Scary.

When I was in elementary school they trusted us to walk the 2 miles home by ourselves.

Definately times have changed, I live across an elementary school....less and less kids walk home, even if their house is around the corner...I'm guessing they are worried about child abductions and such which are understandable.

Although picture this...trick-o'treating...parents in minivans, driving on the street, stopping on the street at the end of each driveway on my street to let their kids out to knock on my door, which is 100ft from the road...then the kids get the candy, get back on the minivan, and down to the next driveway just 100ft. away at my neighbors....and here I am just wondering "WHY dont they just let the kids walk from house to house instead using the sidewalk"...Well, when them powered doors opened up, I then understood why the kids were running out of breath....The lack of exercise, and the shape (or lack thereof) explained that maybe they shouldnt get any candy....

Speaking as a parent of three kids that currently owns a minivan, doesn't give a damn about the "image" associated with them, and realizes the practicality that they represent, I can say that I'd like to see Ford selling a minivan. If they can make it 80% common and line compatible with the existing flex, that would be perfect. It doesn't even need to sell 100K to be profitable, as long as the agregate total is maybe 150K, the line should be profitable at reasonable selling prices.

The key here is to make the vehicles look recognizably different from each other. For example, the original Pacifica was largely a DCX minivan platform morphed into a crossover SUV. Its commonality was a bit lower than 80%, but it was enough to make them line compatible. If Ford could pull off the same thing, then I think they should. There is still some market left in the minivan world. Just make it stylish, but not "out there" ala Nissan quest.

I still think that FoMoCo missed the boat. They should have created a Volvo Minivan. Those are two concepts that really begged to go together.

Mini vans are a commodity. I think the Flex has hit a sweet spot targeting those who need a mini van yet would not be caught dead in one. These are also the customers who more often than not, are willing to pay a premium for any auto company who can save them from the otherwise inevitable destiny.

There are three ways to get home. Walk, pick up by car, or bus.

If you have young kinds and aren't paranoid, you are living in a delusional world. It's not like when I grew up, and a I an relatively young.

There is a difference btw. paranoid and being careful and prudent. Squawk boxes are more because of over crowded schools, so many kids living too far from school(or schools not being in the neighborhoods), too small of parking lots at schools(esp. elementary), and the traffic safety in said lots and feeder roads to schools.

Don't think for second that Ford doesn't have plans sitting in someone's desk for sliders on this if it does not sell to expectations. They are not going to let the infamous Windstar driver's slider door debacle happen again. Don't be fooled though, its a huge undertaking.

Edited by Intrepidatious

The flex is nothing but a rip-off of the Xb. Try to build something on your own dickheads!!! :slap:

The xB seats 7 and receives 5-star crash ratings in all categories (which seems like a foregone conclusion based on the performance of every other D3 vehicle)?

Oh wait, no it doesn't.

:finger:

Moron.

The only thing it will do is fracture what Ford has now even more, Whats the sense in having the following:

Escape

Edge

Minivan

Taurus X

Explorer

Flex

Expedition

I'd rather see Ford go after a decent sized Niche instead of being players for everything and anything.

I have an idea. Make gen. 2 of the Taurus X the minivan.- Same platform, sliding doors, 4 wheel drive option.

It is possible to make a minivan, and make it somewhat styling...now, not over-done like the Quest, but something livelier like an S-Max. So, is it the doors that make it a minivan? And if so, can the minivan be made to be hip so it's no longer laughed at.

Escape

Edge

Minivan

Taurus X

Explorer

Flex

Expedition

there is no problem he market is fragmening and there will only two of the models listed that will break 100k per year. this is how we maintain market share while not selling 400k units per car.

With all the CUV's SUV's and Mini Suv's Ford is making if they can not get customers into at least one of the mulitple choices they are offering instead of a DCX Minivan, there're F***ed.

And all the mony spent on these things was flushed right down the toilet.

Matthew

With all the CUV's SUV's and Mini Suv's Ford is making if they can not get customers into at least one of the mulitple choices they are offering instead of a DCX Minivan, there're F***ed.

And all the mony spent on these things was flushed right down the toilet.

Matthew

I'm glad I bought my Freestar. I wanted a mini-van not a CUV or SUV. Ford is making a very large mistake if they give this market away. I have friends who want to buy Ford but want a mini-van,now they're looking toward DCX or even worse Japanese models. Ford made a mistake when they didn't offer the Freestar with the option of AWD. People are living in their vehicles,that's why all these companies are adding all these conveniences in a lot of their vehicles. They are also looking for value not high $$$$$ vehicles. Families need the space and convenience of mini-vans. Families are the ones who will buy more vehicles in the long run. I have been married 21 years and have owned more vehicles than most of my single friends. I don't just own a mini-van, I have also have 2-SUV's and 2-sporty sedans. If you upset families they will turn their back on you. In the end Ford will lose.