C&D: 2008 Taurus 0-60

range

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C&D tested the 2008 Taurus and did 0 to 60 in 6.8 secs.

Not bad for the roomiest and safest car in its class, and for burning regular fuel.

That sounds pretty quick compared to most other reviews.

I believe they were in the mid 7s which is about a 15.5-15-7 quarter mile.

Maybe Ford is getting the tune better or performance improves with a few miles on the clock.

C&D tested the 2008 Taurus and did 0 to 60 in 6.8 secs.

Not bad for the roomiest and safest car in its class, and for burning regular fuel.

Since the Fusion V6 does 0-60 in about 7.2, it looks like some old guy in heavier 2008 Taurus will kick your ass driving away from stop light if you are driving Fusion. Yes, Ford needs to get new engine in the Fusion pronto. The Fusion looks faster and should be faster than Taurus. Btw, just about every new Taurus/Sable I see on the street has a pretty old driver so far. I'm not even sure 240 hp Fusion will make it quicker than new Taurus. Nineteen more horsepower probably only means a couple ticks at most. The Fusion needs more horsepower and better fuel mileage. Maybe a 3.3 liter V6 with at least 250 horsepower and a few more pounds of torque. And add a sport shift. The Fusion with its great handling and looks deserves better engine. I think Ford has gone about as long as it can with its present engine lineup for Fusion. Three years is long enough for Ford to upgrade engine choices. I see more incentives ahead for Fusion if they don't do something within 6 months or so. The competition is just too tough for Ford to ride this rendition of Fusion much longer. New Malibu and Accord will be out soon. That will not help Fusion sales. Sync will help as Fusion is still very nice car, but you can't hold your cards long in this tough business.

Maybe Ford is getting the tune better or performance improves with a few miles on the clock.

No, I think it's because C&D always posts the fastest times of the car mags. They also did a 7.1 with Fusion and 4.9 with Mustang GT. They probably use different test equipment than other mags that is lighter and better drivers that know how to get most out of vehicle. Road and Track and Motor Trend always post slower times on every vehicle they test. I believe I read that Road and Track once said that they use heavier test equip. than others that results in higher times and different driving techniques in accelerating hard from dead stop. With sticks, I would bet C&D test drivers power shift while R&T drivers let up briefly on gas between shifts.

But aren't Fusions sold mostly as 4 cylinder models?

Would there be a market for a 3.5 Fusion?

Yes, but I bet you that Ford does not want to put 3.5 in Fusion because Ford is trying to price the Fusion between the Focus and Taurus. So Taurus will have the best engine and Fusion since it's priced below will get not as good an engine. Looks like the Milan will get the 3.5 since it's a Mercury, but I doubt if Fusion will get that engine. Hopefully Ford will figure it out and give Fusion more go power with the V6 since new 2.5 I4 will be almost as fast as present V6 Fusion. Maybe 240 hp will get the job done if Ford really reworks the 3.0 V6, but that remains to be seen.

Donning my flame retardant suit...

[sarcasm]

What, and you people actually buy this import biased crap! I mean, come on! C&D people! They ripe all the domestics a new one every time they come across one! They can't be the least bit credible when they talk about anything! Their bias is just unbelievable. They'd NEVER say anything nice about a domestic, especially a ford! We just have to throw this out as useless information that can't be believable in any way. I can't believe that we'd even bother posting anything from C&D on this site. Its an insult to our intelligence! An afront to our dignity!

[/sarcasm]

Really, I'm impressed with that number. Off hand, how does that compare to C&Ds test of the Avalon 3.5 and the Camry 3.5?

Donning my flame retardant suit...

[sarcasm]

What, and you people actually buy this import biased crap! I mean, come on! C&D people! They ripe all the domestics a new one every time they come across one! They can't be the least bit credible when they talk about anything! Their bias is just unbelievable. They'd NEVER say anything nice about a domestic, especially a ford! We just have to throw this out as useless information that can't be believable in any way. I can't believe that we'd even bother posting anything from C&D on this site. Its an insult to our intelligence! An afront to our dignity!

[/sarcasm]

Really, I'm impressed with that number. Off hand, how does that compare to C&Ds test of the Avalon 3.5 and the Camry 3.5?

They're still going to use the "refinement" excuse to rate imports higher.

Also, most of the time, these tests are done with fully loaded, AWD models. If you get a Taurus Limited FWD without moonroof, DVD entertainment center and other options that add weight, the vehicle will be faster. They (C/D) tested a I4 Fusion with a 0-60 of 8.1 seconds. The Mustang was the quickest car from 0-60 for under $20K (6.5 seconds).

But aren't Fusions sold mostly as 4 cylinder models?

Would there be a market for a 3.5 Fusion?

Yes, but I bet you that Ford does not want to put 3.5 in Fusion because Ford is trying to price the Fusion between the Focus and Taurus. So Taurus will have the best engine and Fusion since it's priced below will get not as good an engine. Looks like the Milan will get the 3.5 since it's a Mercury, but I doubt if Fusion will get that engine. Hopefully Ford will figure it out and give Fusion more go power with the V6 since new 2.5 I4 will be almost as fast as present V6 Fusion. Maybe 240 hp will get the job done if Ford really reworks the 3.0 V6, but that remains to be seen.

The days when a dealer would tell a consumer to "buy up" if you wanted the better engine (or certain features, etc.) is over. The marketplace is too competitive for a manufacturer to offer a substandard product and not see a sales hit because of it. The midsize sedan market demands better V6 performance than the 3.0L can offer. The only (sane) reason for continuing to offer a smaller, less powerful motor than the competition would be cost and fuel economy. The Fusion is slightly cheaper, but not enough to make a significant difference (And the 3.5L has (allegedly) lower production costs vis-a-vis the 3.0L anyway) and the 3.0L is less fuel-efficient than other, more powerful competitors. This is a lose-lose for Ford.

The (insane/weird/bizarre) thing is that Ford has a motor ready to go for the Fusion - the 3.5L. It would put the Fusion right in the middle of the pack for performance and give the Fusion zero excuses when compared to Camry/Accord/Altima. Instead, Ford has decided to spend millions upgrading an engine that at its peak won't be able to compete against the 3.5L's of the competition - and, obviously, I speak of the 3.0L PIP.

It's a real shame and I have NO idea why Ford doesn't get it.

Scott

The days when a dealer would tell a consumer to "buy up" if you wanted the better engine (or certain features, etc.) is over. The marketplace is too competitive for a manufacturer to offer a substandard product and not see a sales hit because of it. The midsize sedan market demands better V6 performance than the 3.0L can offer. The only (sane) reason for continuing to offer a smaller, less powerful motor than the competition would be cost and fuel economy. The Fusion is slightly cheaper, but not enough to make a significant difference (And the 3.5L has (allegedly) lower production costs vis-a-vis the 3.0L anyway) and the 3.0L is less fuel-efficient than other, more powerful competitors. This is a lose-lose for Ford.

The (insane/weird/bizarre) thing is that Ford has a motor ready to go for the Fusion - the 3.5L. It would put the Fusion right in the middle of the pack for performance and give the Fusion zero excuses when compared to Camry/Accord/Altima. Instead, Ford has decided to spend millions upgrading an engine that at its peak won't be able to compete against the 3.5L's of the competition - and, obviously, I speak of the 3.0L PIP.

Scott

You said the only reason to keep an underpowered engine is for FE, well they're keeping the 3.0 for FE, and they're going to offer a 2.5 GTTDI engine, which will have much better performance than any of the competitors.

Scott

You are probably right and maybe slotting the Fusion below the Taurus in price has nothing to do with engine choice. But I would also imagine that Ford may not have enough 3.5 engines right now to put into Fusion. I believe that Ford only has one plant producing new 3.5 and thus a limited supply. Maybe another reason for putting it into Milan and not Fusion since Milan sells in much lower volumes. I know that eventually Ford wants to add new engine to more vehicles, but with only one plant producing them, they certainly are constrained on how many vehicles they can add this engine to. But I'm with you...the Fusion would be awesome with this engine. I think 0-60 times in low 6's could be possible with this engine and dual exhaust like present Fusion has with V6. Then it will be just as fast as sit looks.

The MKZ also takes 6.8 seconds but I think it could get to 60 in atleast 6.5 sec if the taurus can do that.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu6tbG71GQ3EA...07_lincoln_mkz/

Hi guys. :D If you read the entire article, it really is easy to figure out. The model Car and Driver tested and timed at 6.8, 0-60 was a FWD model. The FWD models are quicker. The 0-60 figures (in the low 7's) in other Magazine's for the Taurus were for AWD models, as that is the model Ford was providing for early testing in the Automotive magazines. AWD is slower.

Same with the MKZ. Almost all Magazine tests of the MKZ have been AWD models. The model timed in the Yahoo Auto article at 6.8, 0-60 was an AWD model. FWD MKZ's do 0-60 in the 6.3-6.5 second range.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Wasn't the Milan supposed to get the 3.5L for the 2008 MY? I could've sworn I read it in something from Ford, but I checked the website and all that's listed are the 2.3L and 3.0L. I don't know why they wouldn't put it in...it would give people a reason to buy it over the Fusion.

Hi mustang84. :D No 3.5 liter for the Milan in the near future yet. What you heard and read were unsubstantiated rumors and wishful thinking that took on a life of their own. For now, the Milan and Fusion powertrains will remain intertwined. Lincoln (MKZ) will be a step up.

My guess is when they make the 3.7 liter an option (or standard) in the MKZ, the 3.5 will become an option in the Milan and Fusion. In this way, the Lincoln models are always a step above. But this is just my "educated guess".

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

6.8 is finally at the point where i would say 'plenty fast'. 6.0 would be peachy but 6.8 is tremendous considering my original manual sho was about that and the v8 sho i had was a half sec behind that.

the 6.8 is also a fair amount quicker than the edge.

i like my 500 but i bet a black taurus 35 duratec with sync would be a nice addition to my garage.........

Edited by regfootball

No, all of the other reviews were simply quoting Ford's 7.6 second 0-60 claim. These are the first actual test number's I've seen for the Taurus and exactly what I expected.

No, I think it's because C&D always posts the fastest times of the car mags. Road and Track and Motor Trend always post slower times on every vehicle they test.

Road & Track does indeed usually post the slowest times. Motor Trend's times beat Car and Driver's times at least half of the time, they are very close.

Do not discount hte performance of the PIP D30 just yet. Remember, they are STILL production constrained on the D35. And, in the near future, they are releasing the Flex using the same engine. In the next year, the D37 starts to flow out for the F-150 and Lincoln. They have only a finite production capacity for their V6s. The PIP D30 is, from my point of view, a "stop gap" move to take advantage of the D30 lines as the current exist by engineering a set of improvements for that engine that can be used on the existing line with minimal downtime for changes to it.

I suspect that the PIP D30 will have an improvement of 15 lbs of torque and around 15-20 hp. If the current Fusion FWD is hanging out in the low 7.0s, then this should drop it to below 7.0. That puts it in the catagory of "about as fast as the competition".

Also, considering the STRONG rumors of the 2.3 - 2.5L I4 GTTDI that's coming that will have numbers in the 260 range, it should have plenty of power to be competitive.