Total Volvo (I)*		24,000 	 60 	 62 

Ford Motor Co. car (D) 141,500 	 64 	 60 
Ford Motor Co. car (I)  22,300 	 67 	 70 
Ford Motor Co. car	 163,800 	 64 	 61 
Ford Motor Co. trk.(D) 348,300 	 66 	 67 
Ford Motor Co. trk.(I)  18,300 	 64 	 65 
Ford Motor Co. trk.	366,600 	 66 	 67 
FORD MOTOR CO.†		530,400 	 66 	 65

This is much better than expected -especially given the ABYSMAL July sales, on which these numbers are based -

I talked to George Pipas, and he was very excited about the inventory - Ford is so happy with it, there will be no Labor day sale ... Last yer they had this huge 0% financing for 5 years for anyone with pulse .. this year they will just continue the model clearance - if that/

Igor

What the heck is the deal with Taurus X numbers? they seem pretty damn high...

Yeah, I checked Ford's website. There is 0% financing on the Freestyle and not on the Taurus X. That right there could explain it. Freestyle's inventory is dropping to almost nil in the meantime.

All fresh new models have 1 -2 months of higher inventory - unless the model takes the market by a storm ..

Basically, making sure that everty dealer has 2 or so models brigs quite a high number of days supply when you still are just ramping up demand. And of course -the Taurus X is FAR from a "hit" "instant classic" ora "wait list" model ..

Edge has 100 day supply for first 2 or so months as well.

Igor

Basically, making sure that everty dealer has 2 or so models brigs quite a high number of days supply when you still are just ramping up demand. And of course -the Taurus X is FAR from a "hit" "instant classic" ora "wait list" model ..

Here's an idea for Ford: advertise it!!!!

aggressive TV campaign for the Taurus Duo will launch in October or later - Ford is trying to make sure the message does not get lost in the model year end clearance. Also Like some other automakers have done, they let the factories have soft launch with low demand, have customers start loving the cars, media review the cars, and minor issues resolved befure they make the bid to much higher volume. This has become quite common practice recently.

Igor

It's all over the internet. I can't go to any website without seeing a Taurus or Taurus X ad.

Television ads!

aggressive TV campaign for the Taurus Duo will launch in October or later - Ford is trying to make sure the message does not get lost in the model year end clearance. Also Like some other automakers have done, they let the factories have soft launch with low demand, have customers start loving the cars, media review the cars, and minor issues resolved befure they make the bid to much higher volume. This has become quite common practice recently.

Igor

Good! It's a sharp looking vehicle and Ford needs to get the word out.

Here's an idea for Ford: advertise it!!!!

In Metro Detroit, just starting to see the Taurus X on the road. See quite a few actually, and Taurus numbers are really starting to escalate out there as seeing younger drivers finallly driving them. That was a relief. Btw, just saw the new TV Sable ad with Jill Wagner. Similar to Mariner ad, but using Sable instead. It was a National ad, not a local one. I saw about 6 Taurus/Sable on road yesterday which is most I have seen in one day. I also saw three Taurus X on road yesterday and all were young women with kids.

All fresh new models have 1 -2 months of higher inventory - unless the model takes the market by a storm ..

Igor

Ford had at least seven plants working overtime last week according to Automotive News, not counting Mustang plant. That is more than GM and Chrysler combined and last year Ford never had more than two on overtime at any one time. Maybe so called auto analysts need to pay better attention to production numbers. It means Ford is utilizing its plants closer to capacity this year than last as it has less plants than last year. You would have to back to mid 90's to see Ford working 7-8 plants on overtime.

New models turn slower at the beginning. Starting in the late fall, the deals get better as dealers and OEMs try to clear out the old models. Most people tend to go with the deal, rather than pay more for the new model. Sales will start to track up once its no longer competing with discounted 07's (not just Freestyle's).

In addition, the Chicago products started to arrive mid-month. Very little time to sell what has arrived. The days supply calculation assumes the vehicle was on sale for the entire month.

Edited by Surgen

Ford had at least seven plants working overtime last week according to Automotive News, not counting Mustang plant. That is more than GM and Chrysler combined and last year Ford never had more than two on overtime at any one time. Maybe so called auto analysts need to pay better attention to production numbers. It means Ford is utilizing its plants closer to capacity this year than last as it has less plants than last year. You would have to back to mid 90's to see Ford working 7-8 plants on overtime.

yup,

Wayne, Kansas City (SUV and Truck), Oakville and Ohio Assembly have been in overtime since the end of July (at least), Chicago has been in overtime for past 3 weeks. This week they are joined by Twin Cities which already have confirmed overtime for 2 weeks ...

Igor

Edited by igor

The Lots on the Lot Event is rather amusing.

Somebody needs to tell Toyota there are obviously 'Lots on the Lot' for a reason....nobody wants them. (especially/specifically Tundras)

I personally think that it's low towing capacity will hurt it's sales a little. Most vehicles in this class ( Including the Edge ) can tow at least 3500lb...

That could hurt sales some, but, not everybody that buys this type of vehicle needs to tow, they could just be looking for a 6-7 passenger vehicle that can carry pretty much anything and does so comfortably, etc.

Edited by rmc523

Somebody needs to tell Toyota there are obviously 'Lots on the Lot' for a reason....nobody wants them. (especially/specifically Tundras)

That could hurt sales some, but, not everybody that buys this type of vehicle needs to tow, they could just be looking for a 6-7 passenger vehicle that can carry pretty much anything and does so comfortably, etc.

and..........NOT a minivan...........

Igor

Igor, How many cars are in a day's supply? Does it vary by model?

I have yet to see an X on the road or at a local dealer here. Taurus sedans are becomming quite common. Most of the '08s appear to be high end models with AWD which I assume are higher profit units.

Igor, How many cars are in a day's supply? Does it vary by model?

I have yet to see an X on the road or at a local dealer here. Taurus sedans are becomming quite common. Most of the '08s appear to be high end models with AWD which I assume are higher profit units.

I haven't seen a Taurus X on the road yet either, they did have one at the dealer several weeks ago though, it was an SEL I believe, still pretty nice though. I too am seeing an increasing amount of Taurus' on the road (Sables too, although not as many). I would think that the higher end models=higher profits which is good for Ford. Most Taurus' I've seen have also been high end models.