GM drops Camry, Accord test drive program

Paul Selby

About time somebody woke up and figured out this was a BAD idea.

Yeah, lets go to the Toyota and Honda dealership down the street and BUY one of theirs to put in our SATURN showroom, and pray that when shoppers come in and look at them, don't flee down the street to the Honda/Toyota dealerships to get one. Genius.....

Each time GM has released a "redesigned" Malibu, they continue to push that fact that "This one, NOW, will be the ultimate Cam-Cord killer"...and in turn, it becomes the Rental Car Queen if anything.

Maybe if they didn't have such lofty unrealistic goals, then it wouldn't look so bad when they fall on their face. As it is, just with the powertrain, it's lacking compared to what they are expecting to battle with.

Each time GM has released a "redesigned" Malibu, they continue to push that fact that "This one, NOW, will be the ultimate Cam-Cord killer"...and in turn, it becomes the Rental Car Queen if anything.

Maybe if they didn't have such lofty unrealistic goals, then it wouldn't look so bad when they fall on their face. As it is, just with the powertrain, it's lacking compared to what they are expecting to battle with.

Ohhh I remember press from the 2004 Malibu stating the quality and overall package was approaching the CamCords.

I don't believe the Five Hundred of the time was even given such applauds, but it was considered a "good package"

Ohhh I remember press from the 2004 Malibu stating the quality and overall package was approaching the CamCords.

I don't believe the Five Hundred of the time was even given such applauds, but it was considered a "good package"

Hmmm, Malibu quality and overall package approaching CamCords?

Maybe with a more recognizable name (Taurus), the Five Hundred would've been recieved better. Who knows? All I know is that the new Taurus looks great, inside and out, especially in black. Id take it over a CamCord any day.

I think Honda and Mazda both skyrocketing the bar for the midsize segment. Everyone from Ford-GM-Toyota have been left in the dust, and it is even sadder for GM as the Malibu isn't even out. Chrysler was left in the dust way before the new Avenger and Sebing were even announced and Hyundai is there but atleast at bargain bin price to attract customers.

It is a plus for Ford because when we did the same on the Fusion challenge we faired much better! I would still buy a Chevy over a Jap junker any day!

It is a plus for Ford because when we did the same on the Fusion challenge we faired much better! I would still buy a Chevy over a Jap junker any day!

Ford compared an AWD car to a FWD Camcord. Why didn't they just compare FWD to FWD? Maybe they did and didn't like the results. I own a Fusion, and think the car's best asset is its comfort..

I would never get a Malubu over an Accord. Have you even driven these 2 cars back to back? Chevy is like 2-3 generations behind in powertrain, handling, interior, quality...We'll see how the 08 will do, but Honda has their new 08 as well....

Put aside you 'Jap junker' attitude, and just focus on engineering, value and quality. You might just pick a jap junker, as many people obviously are doing.

I don't endorse Japanese brands, actually love for Ford to kick ass, but you have to be honest and give credit where it's due, learn from them and try to beat them at their own game..

The whole marketing idea was flawed to begin with. I think most people here on the board thought GM was crazy for doing this. No significanty midsize comparison test has GM at the top, so why would people all of a sudden think that GM's offering is better. :finger:

Ford compared an AWD car to a FWD Camcord. Why didn't they just compare FWD to FWD? Maybe they did and didn't like the results. I own a Fusion, and think the car's best asset is its comfort..

I would never get a Malubu over an Accord. Have you even driven these 2 cars back to back? Chevy is like 2-3 generations behind in powertrain, handling, interior, quality...We'll see how the 08 will do, but Honda has their new 08 as well....

Put aside you 'Jap junker' attitude, and just focus on engineering, value and quality. You might just pick a jap junker, as many people obviously are doing.

I don't endorse Japanese brands, actually love for Ford to kick ass, but you have to be honest and give credit where it's due, learn from them and try to beat them at their own game..

The whole marketing idea was flawed to begin with. I think most people here on the board thought GM was crazy for doing this. No significanty midsize comparison test has GM at the top, so why would people all of a sudden think that GM's offering is better. :finger:

I can't answer you honestly, because I have a conflict of interest. I was a Chevy man, and I now work at Ford. I will say this, I have not will not ever owned a Toyota or Honda. Their is more to look at than just the product! I don't believe that the domestic brands (other than Crystler) are inferior to the Japanese competition! I also think that you are misrepresenting the performance and reliability of Chevy motors. I would pit a Chevy (which has won more races than any other manufacturer) against any import any day of the week and watch you scowl as I wait for you at the finish line!!!!!!! And as for the Fusion challenge, the AWD Fusion they compared was comparably priced to the Camcord. If Honda, and Toyota can build a AWD version and sell it for the same price as an AWD Fusion then they had better do it quick, because their now selling FWD's at what it cost for a AWD Fusion!

Edited by Furious1Auto

I gotta tell ya....it is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better for the domestics. At work the other night, a buddy of mine announces he just made a deal on a '07 Toyota Tundra, and he is picking it up today, three other workers started chiming in on how good the new Tundra is compared to what is available from the big three....the whole marketing scheme is dominated by Toyota...they were marveling at a recent display at the New York State Fair that Toyota had where the truck was shown without the body on it (Frame and running gear only) and just were wowed by the "sturdy" frame, "That tripletech frame was awesome...did you see it?" When I started to laugh and tell them it was a fancy way to ballyhoo the obvious that this is a cheaper way to make a frame and that Ford F-150 has a boxed frame from end to end, they all began to bash the Ford (and GM...and Dodge..) about how much junk the domestics made and they are all tired of it.....bottom line is....two of them are going to look at a Tundra today, and my buddy is taking delivery of his this afternoon.

Sadly, I was at the State Fair too....saw that Toyota display that was jam packed with people, went to go and find the Ford display.....none to be found :censored:

I gotta tell ya....it is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better for the domestics. At work the other night, a buddy of mine announces he just made a deal on a '07 Toyota Tundra, and he is picking it up today, three other workers started chiming in on how good the new Tundra is compared to what is available from the big three....the whole marketing scheme is dominated by Toyota...they were marveling at a recent display at the New York State Fair that Toyota had where the truck was shown without the body on it (Frame and running gear only) and just were wowed by the "sturdy" frame, "That tripletech frame was awesome...did you see it?" When I started to laugh and tell them it was a fancy way to ballyhoo the obvious that this is a cheaper way to make a frame and that Ford F-150 has a boxed frame from end to end, they all began to bash the Ford (and GM...and Dodge..) about how much junk the domestics made and they are all tired of it.....bottom line is....two of them are going to look at a Tundra today, and my buddy is taking delivery of his this afternoon.

Sadly, I was at the State Fair too....saw that Toyota display that was jam packed with people, went to go and find the Ford display.....none to be found :censored:

"tripletech" That's what they call their 3 piece "C" channel frame. That will bring Toyota's total Tundra sales up to 3 this month! I guess they will have to buy one before they figure out who makes a better truck!

"tripletech" That's what they call their 3 piece "C" channel frame. That will bring Toyota's total Tundra sales up to 3 this month! I guess they will have to buy one before they figure out who makes a better truck!

Really it doesn't matter if its a better truck everyone that Toyota sells is one that Ford or Gm didn't sell and that hurts the bottom line. Where is the UAW??? They should be on TV and all these events bragging about how great American workers are and how AWESOME they help our country!! I thought it was really sick that 6yrs ago at the Selfridge air Show Toyota was the sponcer how does that happen on our American base??

Really it doesn't matter if its a better truck everyone that Toyota sells is one that Ford or Gm didn't sell and that hurts the bottom line. Where is the UAW??? They should be on TV and all these events bragging about how great American workers are and how AWESOME they help our country!! I thought it was really sick that 6yrs ago at the Selfridge air Show Toyota was the sponcer how does that happen on our American base??

They don't have the extra money to spend on advertising now! I know it looks bad, Toyota is spending billions sponsoring traditionally American events they've even sponsored our local news sports highlights!!

Consumers stopped giving a rats ass about the American worker a long time ago. Well before Accords were made in Marysville and Camrys in Georgetown. It all comes down to fufilling the consumers needs and wants, and quite frankly Toyota and Honda mastered that whereas the other manufacturers struggled.

Even when the domestics make a superior product it is saddled with negative the connotations of the past. Perception goes a LONG way when it comes to durable goods, and that Found on Road Dead (or sudden accelerating Audi with electrical gremlins up the wazoo) could be the best thing ever made but go ignored because someone THINKS it's a heap.

That's what a throw-a-way society nets you. Too busy to read and do the proper research because you are too hell bent on getting to WallyWorld for the next latest and greatest sale.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Consumers stopped giving a rats ass about the American worker a long time ago. Well before Accords were made in Marysville and Camrys in Georgetown. It all comes down to fufilling the consumers needs and wants, and quite frankly Toyota and Honda mastered that whereas the other manufacturers struggled.

Even when the domestics make a superior product it is saddled with negative the connotations of the past. Perception goes a LONG way when it comes to durable goods, and that Found on Road Dead (or sudden accelerating Audi with electrical gremlins up the wazoo) could be the best thing ever made but go ignored because someone THINKS it's a heap.

That's what a throw-a-way society nets you. Too busy to read and do the proper research because you are too hell bent on getting to WallyWorld for the next latest and greatest sale.

To be fair, the Big 3 automakers saddled the consumer with several models that were absolute SHIT for the better part of 20 years. That's a lot of earned bad blood so it's understandable that it's going to take time to win consumers back even if, like you said, they're now producing he best thing ever made. They're moving in the right direction faster than some thought possible, but it's not a surprise [to me] that people are still hesitant to take a look at a Big 3 vehicle even though they've made great strides.

That's nothing. My buddy wanted to stop at the Toyota dealer to look at the new Tundra and we were told by the dealer that this pickup should not be compared to the F-150, but it actually should be compared to a Ford Super Duty. He claimed that it is a tougher truck for work and pulling the the Super Duty is.

Toyota dealers are getting people to trade off their heavy duty pickups for the Toyota.

That's nothing. My buddy wanted to stop at the Toyota dealer to look at the new Tundra and we were told by the dealer that this pickup should not be compared to the F-150, but it actually should be compared to a Ford Super Duty. He claimed that it is a tougher truck for work and pulling the the Super Duty is.

Toyota dealers are getting people to trade off their heavy duty pickups for the Toyota.

Some people are so gullible!