2008 Euro Focus

silvrsvt

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad. But definitely bland. In all honesty, as far as 'eye catching' features go, this is not much better than the '05 Focus. FoE should not be designing FNA sheetmetal. The Mondeo is gorgeous but nondescript, the Kuga is weird, the new Focus is quietly inoffensive and the new Verve looks like a winner.

In short, Ford Europe's designs are about as mixed as Ford NA, and there's no real reason for placing one above the other.

its a refresh not a redesign. been on market for 3 years.

the redesign comes in 2009

So after one year of this, they are having the 'all new' C platform? No freaking way. Try 2011.

''Not bad. But definitely bland. In all honesty, as far as 'eye catching' features go, this is not much better than the '05 Focus.''

I'd bet that the C1 Focus wouldn't have been a big hit here as some think. It's not as exciting as the Mazda 3, and the Auto Press would have called it the 'mini Five Hundred'. And added it to the list of 'Ford's blandest cars that are not setting world afire' as they have been complaining since 2004. They would be saying 'buy the Mazda 3, it's nicer looking, and made in Japan'

If it is boring and nerdy, no one will sit in it, even if it's supposedly 'better'.

Edited by 630land

With a red LED trip computer stolen from Audi? I hope not. I much prefer the green (now blue) VFDs from Ford NA.

Or they can just offer MyColor on every vehicle in the lineup and please everybody at once. Don't know why it hasn't trickled over to other vehicles from the Mustang... :shrug:

One more example of a dropped ball on Ford's part. It's a high-take option that undoubtedly makes money. Why wouldn't you offer it on everything as quickly as possible?

Edited by NickF1011

It's a high-take option that undoubtedly makes money. Why wouldn't you offer it on everything as quickly as possible?

I've got two theories:

1) Ford is considering going with LED backlighting, which can be color filtered but not with the MyColor system.

2) It's not a trivial change to the existing IP setup. As with the aux jacks, because Ford didn't put them on the head unit, it took a while to roll them out.

I've got two theories:

1) Ford is considering going with LED backlighting, which can be color filtered but not with the MyColor system.

2) It's not a trivial change to the existing IP setup. As with the aux jacks, because Ford didn't put them on the head unit, it took a while to roll them out.

The first one I could see, but the second would have been easy enough to integrate into the vehicles that have been redesigned/launched new since the Mustang came out. Why not design it into the Fusion? Edge? etc...

The first one I could see, but the second would have been easy enough to integrate into the vehicles that have been redesigned/launched new since the Mustang came out. Why not design it into the Fusion? Edge? etc...

Edge uses the Fusion's IP guts. Fusion was engineered before the success of MyColor was known. Focus was underway. I'm not sure why the IP doesn't have it, but the rest of the cabin has it in a different form.

It's also possible that the system is just kind of kludgy at present, a la the Escape hybrid--and not modularized into a plug-n-play unit.

Edge uses the Fusion's IP guts. Fusion was engineered before the success of MyColor was known. Focus was underway. I'm not sure why the IP doesn't have it, but the rest of the cabin has it in a different form.

It's also possible that the system is just kind of kludgy at present, a la the Escape hybrid--and not modularized into a plug-n-play unit.

Yet more examples of Ford clearly not thinking ahead or demonstrating an ability to react quickly to market demands.

The more things change......

Yet more examples of Ford clearly not thinking ahead or demonstrating an ability to react quickly to market demands.

The more things change......

Meh. I don't know. Three years to sort of extend a surprisingly popular feature to half the lineup? That's not awful (referring to the MyColor inserts in the Focus, Escape/Mariner, and CD3s). Said feature also being, IIRC, an OEM exclusive. Again, could be better--has in the recent past been much worse.

And hey, in the mean time, customer surveys may have revealed that changeable IP lighting was not as 'cool' as changeable 'mood lighting'.... Hence, there might be a higher take rate on colorful cupholders than on changeable instrument lighting.

Edited by RichardJensen

Meh. I don't know. Three years to sort of extend a surprisingly popular feature to half the lineup? That's not awful (referring to the MyColor inserts in the Focus, Escape/Mariner, and CD3s). Said feature also being, IIRC, an OEM exclusive. Again, could be better--has in the recent past been much worse.

And hey, in the mean time, customer surveys may have revealed that changeable IP lighting was not as 'cool' as changeable 'mood lighting'.... Hence, there might be a higher take rate on colorful cupholders than on changeable instrument lighting.

They should have had some foresight to know it would be popular. Just going by message boards and conversations I knew that MyColor would be hugely popular well before the Mustang even debuted. Heck, go the whole way and make every light changable on the interior. That would strike a negative off the list for a lot of non-buyers: interior lighting they don't like.

They should have had some foresight to know it would be popular. Just going by message boards and conversations I knew that MyColor would be hugely popular well before the Mustang even debuted. Heck, go the whole way and make every light changable on the interior. That would strike a negative off the list for a lot of non-buyers: interior lighting they don't like.

Yeah, but who knows how much of that was shared outside the Mustang team, and at a point early enough to impact work on the Focus, Escape/Mariner, and CD3s?

I would hope that Ford, now, has done something to tear down the "mineminemine" mentality of vehicle teams. But it undoubtedly existed in the past, and it may have held MyColor implementation back for a year or so. That's why I say 3 years is not great, but not awful either.

Well if you noticed my sub title..it says....most underwhelming refresh ever...

This is as bad as what Ford did with the NA Focus in 2005...

And people where all over that like stink on shit, but yet again FOE gets a free pass

It took FordNA 5 years to give us the 2005 Focus Refresh.

FOE took 3 Years to give us this Refresh, which is far more in depth, than the FNA 2005 Focus.

I'd say it is an effective Refresh.

They should sell ~ 3 times more than the NA fusion does.

I don't see why there is criticism of the interior. This is pretty impressive for a c car:

fofo00_46e62fa403944.jpg

The center stack is the only thing they changed, but sure it looks nicer than the current one.

Oh and if anyone can notice the container on the top of the dash, yes you guessed it, it's a mini-fridge! I think it works using the AC (well, you can guess by it's location).

I think you meant NA Focus there...

But anyway...

Even if the NA Focus was sold in Europe it would probably sell 3 times as much as it does here. It's just that kind of market for Ford.

Don't think so,as an example Toyota could not sell the Camry in Europe it lacked the cachet to compete. Following long-term poor sales, the Camry was withdrawn altogether from Europe in 2004. Not that this proves it would not sell, but still a fact to consider why I stated I don't think the NA Focus would sell so well in European maket. Is that OK to say RJ?

I beleive I am correct to say the studies show resuts the higher expectations of the European car consumer in comparison to the North American car consumer.

Edited by MKII