Toyota unveils 2007 Tundra. Does it have what it takes to beat the F150?

robertlane

Qualifications? I wouldn't consider that any kind of qualifications to be an expert on the auto industry.

P.S. I don't think the moderator is supposed to swear.

1) What ARE your qualifications

2) The Moderator gets to do what he wants. Just thank your lucky stars that I'm as nice as I am

3) This is a jackass:

jackass.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing wrong with 5-bolt wheels on 1/2-ton pickups as long as the bolt circle is sufficiently large to keep the forces on the lugs manageable. I think the advantage to a 6-bolt pattern is you can decrease the bolt circle size, lose some rotating mass from the hub, wheel, and rotor, and perhaps gain some swept area on the brake rotors in exchange for a little more machining and assembly work.

Heck... my granddad has a medium-duty farm truck which has 5-bolt budd wheels all around, even on the rear duals, and it GVWs at 10 tons. The bolt circles are huge (9"-10" IIRC) but I don't think the wheels have ever been much of a problem (those old IH trucks are TOUGH.)

Ford has always taken the full sized pickup market very seriously and they will do whatever it takes to keep their F-Series one step ahead. Other then more power, this thing really does not improve on the last Tundra. Sure they copied Ford and added the tailgate assist and the outboard mounted shocks, but their frame still appears to be weak. Also, everyone says this thing is bigger then the F150. The biggest criticism that I hear about the F150 is it's weight and size. Do you really want a 1/2 pickup any more bulky?

Toyota will continue trying to copy the F150, but in the end there is only one F150. Very few people have a negative opinion of the F150. It's legendary in the automobile business. Ford just has to remember how high they have set the bar and keep working on rasing it.

I say bring it on. If there is anything that will energize Ford to give us an even better pickup we are all winners.

How so? I haven't even seen a horsepower rating for the new 5.7L. Toyota's 4.7L w/ DOHC and VVT only made 282hp, yet Ford has their 4.6 making 292-300hp with SOHC and moderate VVT, there's still room for DOHC on Ford's motors (last DOHC 4.6 made 320+hp, last DOHC 5.4 made 385+hp) as well as more advanced VVT.

Imagine that the 2007 Tundra model is using the NASCAR 5,8 liter engine at a lower trimlevel giving "only" 400 Hp at 5,7 liter instead of the NASCARs 650 HP. Imagine that they have the new CGI-material in the block.

Then Ford might need new engines from Navistar to stay in the market. Navistar just told that they will use CGI in their BIG BORE in 2007.

BIG BORE with CGI

read more about this supermaterial at

Sintercast

and the Navistar-connection at

Navistar-ICC-CGI

Imagine that the 2007 Tundra model is using the NASCAR 5,8 liter engine at a lower trimlevel giving "only" 400 Hp at 5,7 liter instead of the NASCARs 650 HP. Imagine that they have the new CGI-material in the block.

Then Ford might need new engines from Navistar to stay in the market. Navistar just told that they will use CGI in their BIG BORE in 2007.

BIG BORE with CGI

read more about this supermaterial at

Sintercast

and the Navistar-connection at

Navistar-ICC-CGI

I'm going to guess you work for Navistar, or someone else selling CGI products, but do you know that Toyota is using a detuned Nascar block made with the same materials? Do any other manufacturers use anything from their Nascar vehicles in production models?

I'm going to guess you work for Navistar, or someone else selling CGI products, but do you know that Toyota is using a detuned Nascar block made with the same materials? Do any other manufacturers use anything from their Nascar vehicles in production models?

no

Edited by one2gamble

Imagine that the 2007 Tundra model is using the NASCAR 5,8 liter engine at a lower trimlevel giving "only" 400 Hp at 5,7 liter instead of the NASCARs 650 HP.

Let's see - their "NASCAR" engine is a pushrod engine. They are calling the new 5.7 an I-Force engine, so its design is probably related to the OHC 4.7. I'd bet money there is no relation to the NASCAR engine.

The NASCAR engine is a competition/race only engine... That's like saying Frod is going to release a turbocharged 2.65L V8 soon. The NASCAR engien isn't even close to have production concerns involved in it's design. You can't taek a NASCAR engine and have a hope of getting it certified let alone pass internal testing. The only thing you could keep would be the cylinder spacing... In fact the only thing remaining production in NASCAR is the Ford Cleveland cylinder spacing.

" and the legendary 4.7-liter i-Force V8,"

Who deemed them legendary ? Where the "F" did this come from ? Legendary? What a crock....

:lol: ROFL, Now Now, They ARE Legendary! :lol:

Who else but Toyota would put a "rubber band" in a truck motor??? :rolleyes:

If the new 5.7L Tundra engine has belts instead of steel chains ( or better still a gear train ) running the cams :o :blink: you can pretty much bet Ford has nothing to worry about.

Too bad, seems to me the FTX show truck was nicer than this new Tundra. They are so close... and yet so far...

Realistically from individual sales, I would say that the Tundra has a good chance at increasing marketshare taking probably a small slice out of Ford, GM and Dodge but probably to a small degree. Perhaps, a bit more of Dodge than Ford and GM, but I really don't think even Dodge will suffer hardly any at all. I suspect that Nissan in its half-ton truck infancy could be most vulnerable to Toyota. I purposely exclude Honda for obvious reasons as with the Ridgeline, I don't think traditional truck buyers will likely buy into Honda's first effort.

One thing is for certain though. If you do cringe a bit and consider the Ridgeline in with the half-tons, you've got (6) domestic half-ton trucks with Ford's offerings (F-150 & Mark LT), GM's twosome (Silverado & Sierra) and Dodge Ram. Now, from Japan you have Tundra, Titan and...Ridgeline. That's nine individual brands of half-ton trucks being sold in the US. Due to the domestics' hold on the market and their reputation being better with trucks, I doubt the Japanese are going to 'cake walk' all over Ford, GM and DCX. However, we all know that they're likely here to stay in the half-ton market, and they will chip away. I even suspect that Honda will eventually move to a BOF platform eventually to be taken more seriously. Remember, Toyota has had some growing pains over the years with the T1000 and then the first Tundra attempt. They didn't go away. Nissan's first attempt was a pretty good one. Honda will either give up on their efforts or go back to the drawing board.

If you do cringe a bit and consider the Ridgeline in with the half-tons, you've got (6) domestic half-ton trucks with Ford's offerings (F-150 & Mark LT), GM's twosome (Silverado & Sierra) and Dodge Ram. Now, from Japan you have Tundra, Titan and...Ridgeline. That's nine individual brands of half-ton trucks being sold in the US.

New Math?

That looks like 8 to me. :lol:

Either way you have a point -- the market is getting crowded.