Ford Taurus: What’s in a Name Change?

pcsario

Source

In announcing the name change in Chicago, Fields said the reason for the change was name recognition and money. Taurus is recognized by 80 percent of consumers. At the same time, Fields argued it would take millions of dollars and years to build the Five Hundred and Montego names to the level of the Taurus and Sable, with no guaranteed success.

But the name change has not helped the Ford trio.

In September, Ford sold 3,562 Taurus models, compared with the 6,054 Ford Five Hundreds it sold last September. It was even fewer than the 4,482 Taurus models Ford sold in August. The Five Hundred’s high-water mark was 13,555 vehicles sold in July 2005.

In September, Ford 1,551 Sable models, just slightly more than the 1,375 it sold in August and off the pace of the Montego in the same months of 2006.

In the conference call on September sales, George Pipas, Ford’s top analyst for U.S. sales, said part of the reason for the lower sales is the fact that large full-size sedan sales industrywide are lower as consumers downsize their transportation.

As usual, Geoge Pipas, aka "The saint who can't lie" (right Richard?), did nothing but provide yet another excuse/invention.

Here's a tip:

Next time, just admit

:finger: Edited by pcsario

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Source

As usual, Geoge Pipas, aka "The saint who can't lie" (right Richard?), did nothing but provide yet another excuse/invention.

Here's a tip:

Next time, just admit

:finger:

Is it really so unbelievable that the full-size sedan segment is softening? I mean, the segment has been softening for almost 25 years now. Those cars were the bread and butter of the Greatest Generation, who bought them in droves all the way until the late 1980's and early 1990's. At this point, it's a matter of how fast Baby Boomers and Gen X/Y will start buy them compared to the Greatest Generation dying off or downsizing into smaller vehicles.

It's disconcerting to see the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger still selling in huge numbers (9-10,000 per month) compared with the Taurus, Sable, Lucerne, and Avalon. Almost in spite of its polarizing design, the 300 and Charger have done something amazing in appealing to a very broad range of customers. Young guys and "urban" types like the fact it looks like a Bentley, and otherwise has very intimidating looks, and can be had way cheaper than an Escalade or other big SUV. Performance-oriented types like the RWD and available Hemis. Families like the fact that it's a big roomy and safe car. Old people like it because, once again, it's a big car that harkens back to the glory days. And finally, rental car companies like it because it's big and can be had fairly cheaply. Therefore, Chrysler and Dodge can simultaneously capture all of these markets at once, and hence, enjoy consistently high sales, where the others listed appeal to maybe one or two of those markets.

Chevrolet can hit this market head-on with a properly done RWD Impala, and significantly eat into the 300/Charger sales. However, I really can't see Ford getting the "urban" market, even with a properly done Interceptor.

As the Taurus picks up steam, it will establish its own customer base, mostly of families and older people, I imagine. Now, as for the rumored RWD Taurus... that would be another story altogether.

Is it really so unbelievable that the full-size sedan segment is softening? I mean, the segment has been softening for almost 25 years now. Those cars were the bread and butter of the Greatest Generation, who bought them in droves all the way until the late 1980's and early 1990's. At this point, it's a matter of how fast Baby Boomers and Gen X/Y will start buy them compared to the Greatest Generation dying off or downsizing into smaller vehicles.

It's disconcerting to see the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger still selling in huge numbers (9-10,000 per month) compared with the Taurus, Sable, Lucerne, and Avalon. Almost in spite of its polarizing design, the 300 and Charger have done something amazing in appealing to a very broad range of customers. Young guys and "urban" types like the fact it looks like a Bentley, and otherwise has very intimidating looks, and can be had way cheaper than an Escalade or other big SUV. Performance-oriented types like the RWD and available Hemis. Families like the fact that it's a big roomy and safe car. Old people like it because, once again, it's a big car that harkens back to the glory days. And finally, rental car companies like it because it's big and can be had fairly cheaply. Therefore, Chrysler and Dodge can simultaneously capture all of these markets at once, and hence, enjoy consistently high sales, where the others listed appeal to maybe one or two of those markets.

Chevrolet can hit this market head-on with a properly done RWD Impala, and significantly eat into the 300/Charger sales. However, I really can't see Ford getting the "urban" market, even with a properly done Interceptor.

As the Taurus picks up steam, it will establish its own customer base, mostly of families and older people, I imagine. Now, as for the rumored RWD Taurus... that would be another story altogether.

Back in the day the big three could appeal to that same broad customer base...

The poor Taurus marketing campaign sucks wih the commercial I have seen. It's obvious they are trying to attract boring breeders who want to cocoon their family in safety... The images in the ads.. The sanitary light blue Taurus...The typical suburban neighborhood, the pussy-whipped husband, and yes even the music sets the tone is boring and unexciting like an ad that encourages you to go to a doctor about getting checked for cancer before it's too late...

Just think, it the world went the right way we would be seeing ads for a 427 Concept stled sedan in badass black, sort of like how Chevy does the ads for the Impala SS...

Edited by Watchdevil

Back in the day the big three could appeal to that same broad customer base...

The poor Taurus marketing campaign sucks wih the commercial I have seen. It's obvious they are trying to attract boring breeders who want to cocoon their family in safety... The images in the ads.. The sanitary light blue Taurus...The typical suburban neighborhood, the pussy-whipped husband, and yes even the music sets the tone is boring and unexciting like an ad that encourages you to go to a doctor about getting checked for cancer before it's too late...

Just think, it the world went the right way we would be seeing ads for a 427 Concept stled sedan in badass black, sort of like how Chevy does the ads for the Impala SS...

i said it on another thread, months ago....The new Taurus as competent a model it is, is just windwo dressing, unappealing to gen public, too $$ for those that knew anything about the old Taurus,and with no marketing to boot.

i said it on another thread, months ago....The new Taurus as competent a model it is, is just windwo dressing, unappealing to gen public, too $$ for those that knew anything about the old Taurus,and with no marketing to boot.

There are many issues with the new Taurus. I can't possibly fathom how one could think price is one of them though.

Its too expensive for what people are used to paying for a Taurus

Never dawned on people thats why you buy a Fusion instead :doh:

Not like anyone was buying the last Taurus retail, so I doubt anyone really knew what they cost anyway. Regardless, it's actually quite a steal for what you get. A safe fullsize car with some great features and available all-wheel-drive for about the average price of any new car.

I still really doubt the Taurus will go anywhere saleswise until it gets a ground-up makeover though...and dammit...shrink the freaking badges!!!! :rant:

There are many issues with the new Taurus. I can't possibly fathom how one could think price is one of them though.

My wife and I were browsing around in Barnes & Noble last night. I ran across two middle-aged men leafing through some car magazine's annual new-car lineup issue and they were muttering something about the Ford Five Hundred. I was about to mention to them that it had been renamed Taurus but they found it before I said anything. The next thing out of one's mouth: "Wow, look at the starting price. When did they get that high?"

So there you have it. Solid scientific market research. :D

I think part of the reason that the LX cars sell so well is that the rest of Chrysler's car lineup sucks!

They dont even have a small sedan on the market for crying out loud!

I think its because the LX cars have a very attractive and distinctive exterior. People probably tend to overlook the average interior for the better exterior. The Taurus is exactly the opposite. I'm still drawn to the 300C after several model years into production. I'd buy one in a heartbeat over a loaded Taurus.

Maybe if they Advertised the car with emphasis on something other than the 5 star safety rating they would be more successful in getting butts in the seat for a test drive. The 500/Taurus/Freestyle ads just suck. I havent even seen a TV ad for the Taurus X yet. I'm sure it will say nothing about the utility of the car and just focus on the safety rating. Show the Damn Car and its features already.

Maybe if they Advertised the car with emphasis on something other than the 5 star safety rating they would be more successful in getting butts in the seat for a test drive. The 500/Taurus/Freestyle ads just suck. I havent even seen a TV ad for the Taurus X yet. I'm sure it will say nothing about the utility of the car and just focus on the safety rating. Show the Damn Car and its features already.

agree...the advertising is about as exciting as a bath with a pasty fat chick on social security.......

What I want to know is what gives with the lack of product in some markets. Everytime I drive by the local Ford dealer, I've seen one or two Taurii. Compare that to the plethora of Fusions/Edges/Escapes, and it just doesn't make sense.

Besides if the Escape can garner a year over year increase then there is no reason why the Taurus can't. It is a well crafted and safe vehicle available at a decent price. Those that gwak at the sticker of the new ones, need to remember what the el-cheapo Taurus used to get you.

What I want to know is what gives with the lack of product in some markets. Everytime I drive by the local Ford dealer, I've seen one or two Taurii. Compare that to the plethora of Fusions/Edges/Escapes, and it just doesn't make sense.

Besides if the Escape can garner a year over year increase then there is no reason why the Taurus can't. It is a well crafted and safe vehicle available at a decent price. Those that gwak at the sticker of the new ones, need to remember what the el-cheapo Taurus used to get you.

Maybe they don't want to sell them, I unno....

My wife and I were browsing around in Barnes & Noble last night. I ran across two middle-aged men leafing through some car magazine's annual new-car lineup issue and they were muttering something about the Ford Five Hundred. I was about to mention to them that it had been renamed Taurus but they found it before I said anything. The next thing out of one's mouth: "Wow, look at the starting price. When did they get that high?"

So there you have it. Solid scientific market research. :D

well if they two would do a bit more research they would realize the taurus is no longer the mid size car, its larger now.. the fusion has taken that mid size role.. again, people making assumptions without having full info etc.

back to the advertisng...public awareness is zero...car has a LOT to offer for the price but Ford seems its better to tout safety...to me that is just icing....that and I'm sorry but even the re-style is bland...

Ford should have the Taurus in every mall in America. There just isn't enough auto shows to attract the kind of audience needed and besides that, often regular consumers won't go to an auto show just to look around. Ford needs to deliver the Taurus into the hands of the people. Let them sit behind the wheel, sit in the backseat, and look at the large trunk. Have a qualified salesperson from a local Ford dealer to be there to go over all that is important and have all the safety awards mentioned on a large cardboard display so that its unmistakable.

Then, give them a voucher for a free test drive with no strings or high pressure. Even offer them a $25 gift certificate for a test drive. Trade in competitor's car and get an extra $500 rebate. It really doesn't seem like Ford knows how to market their image...let alone their products. Only F-150 and Mustang really have fierce loyality and sales to go along with it.

Edited by Traveler

Source

Here's a tip:

Next time, just admit

:finger:

have to agree...people are downsizing because of gas prices and thus economy....BUT the Taurus gets better mileage than a fusion no?????? THATS what Ford should be touting, mileage features and BANG for the buck....safety smafety.....people now EXPECT safety so it is pretty much a given...

Ford should have the Taurus in every mall in America. There just isn't enough auto shows to attract the kind of audience needed and besides that, often regular consumers won't go to an auto show just to look around. Ford needs to deliver the Taurus into the hands of the people. Let them sit behind the wheel, sit in the backseat, and look at the large trunk. Have a qualified salesperson from a local Ford dealer to be there to go over all that is important and have all the safety awards mentioned on a large cardboard display so that its unmistakable.

Very good idea. I completely agree. It would be an easy way to reach a very large audience.

how bad is this....we have the cars....STILL don't have brochures....someones head should roll.......