Comically large badges!!

I just pulled into the parking lot next to a Taurus X. How freaking big does Ford need to make their blue ovals these days?!?! The one on the front of this Taurus X must have been 6" across. It looks freaking ridiculous. Does anyone remember the original Fusions that had the entire blue oval contained within the center cross bar on the grille? That looked FAR better than what they've morphed into with the chrome surround on the oval connecting all three bars.

Enough Ford!! It looks gaudy as hell!! :rant:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, it seems most new sedans coming out these days are pretty damn gaudy or even ulgy looking....the Accord and the new Malibu are two good examples...Ford's stuff isn't that bad, except the new Focus ;)

Seriously. Go look at a Taurus X or Taurus in person and tell me the badges aren't too big. It's laughable. People know the blue oval when they see it already. There's no need to make it some enormous attempt at a styling element. In the end, it's a pretty ugly, albeit familiar, logo and, if anything, should be MINIMIZED.

I think they did the same thing on the Mercury Sable. Since they moved the plate down to the bumper out back, they must have thought there was too much blank space. Put a monster Merc emblem out back. Too big IMO. But it's one way to distinguish it from the Milan...

I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I remember seeing my first Fusion in real life and I thought the Oval was too large. I think it's safe to say people know the Ford Blue Oval when they see it. I haven't seen the Taurus X yet but I always thought the Fusion, Edge and even the Five Hundred was a little too large. F-Series, I don't have an issue with. Maybe Ford will just stamp 'FORD' on the tailgate metal again. Thank you Captain Obvious.

Edited by Hugh

I haven't come to accept the trend of putting the BIG EMBLEMS right smack dab in the middle of a tailgate. Its too gawdy...too floaty. I like it better down near the bottom to the left or right myself. Heck, my truck doesn't even have the Dodge logo like they started doing in '05. Mine just as chrome letting that reads, "DODGE". All of the other companies have followed Ford's lead on the tailgate thing.

To me, extremely large logos are about as tacky as Dodge having to put the crosshair grille on every single vehicle they make. Its a fine market statement to make on your trucks and truck-based SUVs but Dodge has grown excessively predictable. That is until the latest pics of the Challenger which doesn't seem to show a cross-hair grille. Trendish grilles (like Ford's 3-bar) will grow old with time. Dodge's has already. The design of the entire car is more important than what grille is used or how big you can make your logo.

Maybe Ford will just stamp 'FORD' on the tailgate metal again.

We can only hope! What a classic - and classy - styling cue.

I sort of understood the use of the emblem on the '97 edition, which was a little softer and more rounded, but now that "bricks are back" in terms of styling, nothing says "tough" like a name embossed in metal for all time. By comparison, a badge can fall off.

Agreed also on the original post - the grille emblems are indeed getting out of hand. I especially HATE the chrome ring around the collar emblem on the Fusion.

An emblem should be understated. The car should draw you in and make you say "what's that", and you have to hunt for it. THEN you remember it.

I always loved how the 80's T-birds and later mustangs had no blue ovals at all. Those cars spoke for themselves.

I don't think they were ever on the front. Of course the BO itself is relatively recent bauble (used since 1982). But with T-birds they (nor any other "FORD" logo) were never on the rear either, until the MN12's.... which had birds AND ovals AND the car name on the back (talk about stupid overkill)! I used the necessary repainting following a sideswipe to remove all but the birds from mine.

The BO looked bad on the rear of the early SN95's as well... like it was crammed in there. But I like the spelled-out "retro" FORD on the new Mustang.

The BO looked bad on the rear of the early SN95's as well... like it was crammed in there. But I like the spelled-out "retro" FORD on the new Mustang.

Eh, I don't mind the blue oval on the decklid of my SN95....of course, there's the SVT emblem on the opposite side that gives it a bit more visual balance compared to the rest of em...

I guess the little bird and horse on the front had nothing to do with it. :shades: Just Kidding.

If I'm not mistaken, the fox body Mustangs, at least the last generation of them (87-93) actually had no Mustang badge up front. They in fact had Ford badges up front (exception being 93 Cobra ..).

No, you're not mistaken. There were no factory horses displayed on the exterior of fox-body Mustangs from the eighties into the early nineties (exc. 93 Cobra). That was one big change was the return of the horse in 1994 for all Mustangs. However to me, it's perfectly acceptable in that time frame to have seen the Blue Oval on the front end of the Mustangs. It was either the open grille floater oval for the LX or the fully enclosed (no grille) for the GT with the blue oval.

I do believe if I remember, there being a pony on the red, white and blue tri-bar on the dash, however. I sure do miss my 90 GT right now. I had some great times in that car. Used to see it every once in awhile, but its disappeared. Probably long since been crushed.

Edited by Traveler

I just pulled into the parking lot next to a Taurus X. How freaking big does Ford need to make their blue ovals these days?!?! The one on the front of this Taurus X must have been 6" across. It looks freaking ridiculous. Does anyone remember the original Fusions that had the entire blue oval contained within the center cross bar on the grille? That looked FAR better than what they've morphed into with the chrome surround on the oval connecting all three bars.

Enough Ford!! It looks gaudy as hell!! :rant:

I think bigger emblems look good, as long as they're proportional to the rest of the car, which most of the time they are. I believe the F-150 (and Super Duty) wears a 9" Ford badge.

i don't like the chrome band around the oval on the Fusion.