Taurus Idea...

silvrsvt

The more and more I see the new Taurus X, I think Ford should have used the nose on the Taurus sedan...the Taurus X nose has a bit more flair to it and its a bit more "edgier" then the Current Taurus Nose which still is suffering from the blandness of the 500 that proceeded it, even though it has the 3 bar grill.

Thoughts? The only thing thats going against it is that the car is slated to get a totally new Tophat in about 3 years from now.

The more and more I see the new Taurus X, I think Ford should have used the nose on the Taurus sedan...the Taurus X nose has a bit more flair to it and its a bit more "edgier" then the Current Taurus Nose which still is suffering from the blandness of the 500 that proceeded it, even though it has the 3 bar grill.

Thoughts? The only thing thats going against it is that the car is slated to get a totally new Tophat in about 3 years from now.

Personally, from the chops I've seen anyway, I don't think the X nose works very well on the sedan.

What Ford should have done was add bars to the lower grille/intake area like the Fusion.

What Ford should have done was add bars to the lower grille/intake area like the Fusion.

I agree. One area where all of Ford's products have been lacking lately is the lower intake. The Fusion managed to do something unique and attractive to this often overlooked area, but now they seem to be back to completely ignoring it again. The lower fascia openings on the Taurus, Taurus X, and Focus all look horrible.

I agree. One area where all of Ford's products have been lacking lately is the lower intake. The Fusion managed to do something unique and attractive to this often overlooked area, but now they seem to be back to completely ignoring it again. The lower fascia openings on the Taurus, Taurus X, and Focus all look horrible.

"I know! Let's get rid of this whole nasty 'upper' and 'lower' thing altogether!"

6p65nix.jpg

:stirpot:

6p65nix.jpg

I guess No one has caught onto this yet..... You know that the Gov. has lowered the bumper standards now to a 2.5 MPH crash limit. What happened? Did the automakers pay off the insurance industry? I see this now on a lot of new cars. NO actual bumpers...

And what's with that swipe of plastic on the headlights? The Jokers grin?

In my opinion, the next Taurus should drop the three bar grill theme and use the Ford of Europe Kinetic Design theme. Those new European Fords are sharp!

And then it would look like....hmmmm, what do you know? It would look like the 500.

No, it would not look anything like the Five Hundred, it would look like a bigger Mondeo.

No, it would not look anything like the Five Hundred, it would look like a bigger Mondeo.

This might interest you:

Long-wheelbase Ford Mondeo spotted in China

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/sedans/...otted-in-china/

Ford has developed a special long-wheelbase version of the new Mondeo sedan and the model was spotted recently in China where it joins other China-specific LWB models from the likes of BMW and Volkswagen Group. The first pictures of the stretched Mondeo have turned up on the Chinese forum SoulImage, and clearly show the lengthened Ford sedan’s longer wheelbase and extended rear door.

In China, it’s not uncommon for even mainstream models like a Mondeo to be chauffeur driven. Even if a LWB Mondeo is released in China, it’s unlikely it’ll be sold in any other markets. Ford is clearly on a winner with the new Mondeo, which has been a sales success in the UK and throughout Europe.

With a V6 and longer wheelbase, an extended mondeo would have the same internal and trunk space as the current Taurus.

Edited by jpd80

I dont see why a stretched Mondeo wouldn't fit the Taurus needs as well...well next generation that is. Camry is to Avalon, Altima is to Maxima, Accord is to TL. Provided the sheet-metal is entirely different, it can be successful.

I don't think the problem is so much just the Taurus, but what happens to the other D3-based vehicles? Can EUCD be stretched enough to underpin the Flex and MKS? Keeping a separate large FWD platform may be the most viable option.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think the problem is so much just the Taurus, but what happens to the other D3-based vehicles? Can EUCD be stretched enough to underpin the Flex and MKS? Keeping a separate large FWD platform may be the most viable option.

I thought I read somewhere that it cannot be stretched enough to use for the Flex/MKS, and friends.

Well, with the plan to use platforms world wide, the next gen D class cars will share whatever with 2011+ Mondy.

How do you figure? The Mondeo is a CD, not a D. There is no direct relation between them or their designs. If EUCD2 is flexible enough to handle the duties of the D3, that'd be fine. But it appears so far that EUCD is better suited for downsizing as opposed to upsizing, likely due to its roots in C1.