Mustang - glass roof

SVT_MAN

Sorry if this is a repost .. please delete if it is.

“Top” Choice: Mustang now offers customers three roof choices: traditional coupe, convertible and a new factory-installed fixed glass roof.

Glass Roof Growth: Production of large sunroofs in North America has increased nearly 200 percent since 2003 and is expected to top more than 2.5 million units by 2013.

Affordability: Available as a $1,995 option, the new glass roof allows Mustang customers to let the sun shine in for half the price of moving up from a coupe to a convertible.

MustangGlassroof_03.jpg

MustangGlassroof_01_MR.jpg

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=27361

You gotta love the sun all the time to want that roof. I like the idea of it, but I'm not sure I'd want it like it like that all the time. At least with the convertible, you get some shade with the top up. I think I'd rather have what I have now...a traditional power moonroof. Not as much open sky, but you can actually open the glass for ventilation and close the whole thing up when you want some shade.

That would have to be one of those cars I'd want to drive around in for 2-3 days before making up my mind.

You gotta love the sun all the time to want that roof. I like the idea of it, but I'm not sure I'd want it like it like that all the time. At least with the convertible, you get some shade with the top up. I think I'd rather have what I have now...a traditional power moonroof. Not as much open sky, but you can actually open the glass for ventilation and close the whole thing up when you want some shade.

That would have to be one of those cars I'd want to drive around in for 2-3 days before making up my mind.

:redcard: The article says that there is a manual roller blind that will allow you to have shade when desired. I will definitely consider this when I am ready to buy my new Mustang.

Why not use photochromic glass, which darkens as the light gets brighter, like Ray-Ban uses?

Just a guess, but probably cost ... what else could it be? It would definitely make sense.

The only other thing I can think of is that a sunshade is more opaque and offers more protection from both the light and uv rays.

:redcard: The article says that there is a manual roller blind that will allow you to have shade when desired. I will definitely consider this when I am ready to buy my new Mustang.

I missed that. :finger:

The only other thing would be that its fixed glass right? You can't open it like a sunroof. Of course, I rarely open mine. Usually I just pull the shade back, as well. It is nice to open it on pretty days though.

My 6 yr. old son and I were at one of the local Ford dealerships the other day looking at Mustangs. They had 2 2007 GT's with the glass roofs. One even had a functional Shaker hood scoop as well as other mods. Both of these cars were Glassback conversions I think. The sales rep said that the glass is UV coated and the inside of the car wouldn't be any hotter than any other Mustang. W/O any kind of a shade offered on these conversions, I'm not so sure about that, but I gotta tell ya that glass roof is cool. It is second only to maybe the BAMR on the Edge as far as glass acreage is concerned. I know that three of the cars I've owned that had sunroofs would cook you if you didn't close the shade when it's 100 degrees in the summer. What would be interesting to see is a top like the early 70's Buick Skylark Sun-Coupe on a Mustang. It would add alot of weight for sure but it would give you another option for open air driving. :shades:

post-30237-1197427356_thumb.jpg

Definitely could see the glass roof for a weekend cruiser fixed up with all the options. I wonder if you could do a limo tint on the roof glass? That would at least knock down some glare. It seems that the roof is no darker than the side windows.

Edited by Traveler

My 6 yr. old son and I were at one of the local Ford dealerships the other day looking at Mustangs. They had 2 2007 GT's with the glass roofs. One even had a functional Shaker hood scoop as well as other mods. Both of these cars were Glassback conversions I think. The sales rep said that the glass is UV coated and the inside of the car wouldn't be any hotter than any other Mustang. W/O any kind of a shade offered on these conversions, I'm not so sure about that, but I gotta tell ya that glass roof is cool. It is second only to maybe the BAMR on the Edge as far as glass acreage is concerned. I know that three of the cars I've owned that had sunroofs would cook you if you didn't close the shade when it's 100 degrees in the summer. What would be interesting to see is a top like the early 70's Buick Skylark Sun-Coupe on a Mustang. It would add alot of weight for sure but it would give you another option for open air driving. :shades:

I went to high school with a guy who had a Buick Sun Coupe. It was a nice car. Convertibles were still fairly common back then and I never saw many Sun Coupes. I guess it would be pretty rare these days.

Sorry if this is a repost .. please delete if it is.

MustangGlassroof_03.jpg

MustangGlassroof_01_MR.jpg

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=27361

All it needs is a stainless steel roof band and it can be a Crown Victoria... :hysterical:

Give me either the hardtop coupe or convertible. I don't like such a functionless compromise in between. I can understand a real functional sliding glass sunroof but for me making the Mustang a functionless fishbowl is just a big no.

Edited by Watchdevil

I never use the sun shade in my MKX, the Vista Roof is so darkly tinted that the light coming through is never a problem.

One of the great things about the glass roof is that there is no pinging from rain drops or ice pellets so the roof is particularly quiet in rain. However, I have noticed that the the roof rubber seals squeak in the cold (25 or below) which is rather obnoxious.

Just a guess, but probably cost ... what else could it be? It would definitely make sense.

The only other thing I can think of is that a sunshade is more opaque and offers more protection from both the light and uv rays.

Well, the other option is the glass that you can turn opaque at the flip of a switch. It's becoming pretty common in new construction on bathroom windows. Pretty cool stuff. I believe a few luxury cars have it now also.

I never use the sun shade in my MKX, the Vista Roof is so darkly tinted that the light coming through is never a problem.

One of the great things about the glass roof is that there is no pinging from rain drops or ice pellets so the roof is particularly quiet in rain. However, I have noticed that the the roof rubber seals squeak in the cold (25 or below) which is rather obnoxious.

You live in Michigan. In Orlando I'd think the first time you left the car out all day with no shade you'd return to a melted dash.