So now that the Taurus flopped.

LincolnFan

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is said that when the last B-2 Spirit is parked beside the B-1 at the USAF Museum, its crew will get a ride home on a B-52.

So they say....the rate of change in the defense industry is rather unpredictable though. Not to mention B-52's aren't typically used as transports. :P I get the point though.

2005 Ford Five Hundred 0-60 is 7.61 and 15.9@89.9mph in the 1/4

2008 Ford Taurus 0-60 is 7.08 and 15.6@92.1mph in the 1/4 mile

.53 and .3 seconds respectively

I have farts that last longer than that. So not long at all. No where near your 30 yards when you use the actual numbers. So for an ugly car, they both scoot along plenty well. And about as well as the previous iteration.

:hysterical:

Well in my defence, you were the one saying one second difference.

Would still be interesting to see a side by side race down the quarter,

probably find the difference is much more than those separate testing times.

BTW, 0.3 seconds difference over the 1/4 mile at 90 mph = 30 feet.

I'll stick to my Falcons - much faster than that!

Edited by jpd80

The rationale with front-drive tracks is that the front drive sprocket is pulling the track from the back return sprocket, and pushing the track along the ground surface. Because the track is not under drive-tension until it rounds the back return sprocket, it was felt that the track would be more compliant and have longer life than a rear-drive track, where the top is pushed and the road-contact track is under drive-tension.

It doesn't seem to make much difference which is used when it comes to terrain performance, but the rear-drive has better configuration capability, if the designer takes care to use it, especially for tanks.

If the D3 turds don't sell, what makes you think the fugly interceptor would sell?

aside from the front end, nice car.... but Panther worshippers....how about YOUR altar...RWD, V8?????? Full size sedan......you guys bitch about the demise of such a beast and bitch at a potential replacement?????

aside from the front end, nice car.... but Panther worshippers....how about YOUR altar...RWD, V8?????? Full size sedan......you guys bitch about the demise of such a beast and bitch at a potential replacement?????

V8??? Knowing Ford, they will scrap any V8 from the line up and instead use a V6 with hairdryers attached to it.

V8??? Knowing Ford, they will scrap any V8 from the line up and instead use a V6 with hairdryers attached to it.

yeah...screw the 6.2............but fess up....you guys bitch if you can't have, bitch if you can....is there a trampoline on both sides of the fence?

My wife drove almost everything at the "Mega-Dealer" and finally I said to her why not drive the Five Hundred. We went 200 yards and she said "This is the car I want". We discussed how the press said it was underpowered, et all. Her response was "Why do I need all that power? It feels like it accelerates just as well as that Toyota and almost as well as the Nissan. I never get over 75 mph, so what's the big deal?"

53,000 miles later, she still loves her car.

Your wife is an intelligent woman, sir. :shades:

Those hairdryers'll do just fine.

It's just too bad they're 12 months away, along with the Ford-Getrag transmissions.

They can't arrive soon enough; Ford has to have an AWD transmission that can take 400-500 ft-lbs of torque.

Then we can have a SHO Fusion and a SHO Taurus as showroom 380 hp sleds, without wimp-launch. SVT can produce the 500 hp versions.

Note to Mull: at the weekly meeting, please make sure that all the pickles have been pulled out on this one.

Edited by Edstock

2005 Ford Five Hundred 0-60 is 7.61 and 15.9@89.9mph in the 1/4

2008 Ford Taurus 0-60 is 7.08 and 15.6@92.1mph in the 1/4 mile

.53 and .3 seconds respectively

I have farts that last longer than that. So not long at all. No where near your 30 yards when you use the actual numbers. So for an ugly car, they both scoot along plenty well. And about as well as the previous iteration.

The older car's engine problem wasn't so much a power problem as it was an image problem. The old engine had the image of being coarse, rough and old. I've heard both on tape, and the new 3.5L V6 definitely sounds much nicer to the ears. It doesn't sound like it is struggling like the 3.0L Duratec did in the 500. The 500 will go if you need it to, it just doesn't like doing it.

When Ford can no longer justify V8 engines for passenger cars nor RWD, look out Mustang fans. We'll be revisiting the Probe II before you know it. I better try to find a way to obtain another Stang or it too will be a victim. Of course, by then you'll have those asking why get a two-door?

Its apparent...Americans are allowing the Japanese to direct our own automotive trends. Why should people buy an Americanized Honda from Ford? You might as well buy a Honda.

When Ford can no longer justify V8 engines for passenger cars nor RWD, look out Mustang fans. We'll be revisiting the Probe II before you know it. I better try to find a way to obtain another Stang or it too will be a victim. Of course, by then you'll have those asking why get a two-door?

Its apparent...Americans are allowing the Japanese to direct our own automotive trends. Why should people buy an Americanized Honda from Ford? You might as well buy a Honda.

actually they are addressing the Americans market desires /demands better,,,hopefully soon to change....

Wow I can't believe what I just read...unlike the Panther, the Mustang is an ICON...and thus why its survived to this day in its current form.

Are Panther Fans this seriously fucking stupid?

Wow I can't believe what I just read...unlike the Panther, the Mustang is an ICON...and thus why its survived to this day in its current form.

Mustang and it's Aussie half brothers, Falcon and Territory will survive.

Could you imagine the indignation if a post 2010 Falcon replaces a Panther,

the 30 year old platform retired in favour of a 50 year veteran, LOL.

Edited by jpd80

now now...not all, they are loyal to the death, admirable...but some posts by said Fans speak for themselves....we all know which fit the bill of your description...

GM will most likey pull the plug on a RWD Impala, now that the Senate has passed the 35 MPG CAFE bill. And, according to news, Bushie will sign it, since it gives breaks to his oil buddies, he doesn't care about big V8 cars for System Engineers.

So, dream on about US spec LHD Falcons, 5.4L Vics, and the return of LTD's with "road hugging weight".

Oh, and another thing, no one at Ford ever said the D3 would be #1 car. And the idea that RWD cars alone will save a car company? Look at Chrysler sinking away.

Edited by 630land

Holden are well advanced on the RWD Impala and are also advanced on Zeta Turbo Diesel and Hybrid versions.

I wonder if the whole plan will fall through, GM are prone to commit early and repent for years...

Ford more circumspect with Falcon or any new RWDs until clearer picture of future is known.

Ford NA will do a rear wheel sedan but the details are still sketchy.

Edited by jpd80

GM will most likey pull the plug on a RWD Impala, now that the Senate has passed the 35 MPG CAFE bill. And, according to news, Bushie will sign it, since it gives breaks to his oil buddies, he doesn't care about big V8 cars for System Engineers.

So, dream on about US spec LHD Falcons, 5.4L Vics, and the return of LTD's with "road hugging weight".

I see no reason why a RWD sedan with a 3.5L V6 won't be able to pull down 25-27 MPG out on the highway.

There is a market for RWD Sedan (not a huge one, unless you want fleet sales) but I'm sure that the "poor" MPG they get will be offset by B-class and Hybrids sold in the fleet.

I see no reason why a RWD sedan with a 3.5L V6 won't be able to pull down 25-27 MPG out on the highway.

There is a market for RWD Sedan (not a huge one, unless you want fleet sales) but I'm sure that the "poor" MPG they get will be offset by B-class and Hybrids sold in the fleet.

As a gauge to RWD fuel economy Aussie Commodores (G8) and Falcons get the following US mpg: City - 20-21 and Highway 27-28

That's with 3.6 litre and 4.0 litre engines respectively.

Edited by jpd80