Explorer America Concept

You know, the Explorer Concept has the exact same doors (stylized for the concept but generally the same) from the current Explorer, I'm really wondering if they intend to carry those over on the next vehicle and that may explain why this whole concept looks too much like the same old story.

Edited by BORG

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, the Explorer Concept has the exact same doors (stylized for the concept but generally the same) from the current Explorer, I'm really wondering if they intend to carry those over on the next vehicle and that may explain why this whole concept looks too much like the same old story.

Yeah. They're going to take the door stamping dies from a BOF vehicle built on a modified F150 frame and reuse them on a D3 based CUV with totally different dimensions.

Well, I went searching the web after Rich's comments (never heard that the Explorer frame was based on the 150, and still can't find any facts that support it), and low and behold what did I stumble upon....

LINK

Ford has revealed in media press releases, along with a gallery of photographs[1], a new Explorer America concept vehicle, scheduled for public unveiling at the 2008 North American International Auto Show[2]. The concept represents a new design direction for a future, more fuel efficient Explorer[3]. The Explorer America concept is built on a unibody platform to reduce weight and improve driveability, migrating from the body-on-frame platform of the current Explorer. It is designed for up to six passengers, and can tow 3,500 pounds, while improving fuel economy by 20 to 30 percent relative to the current V6 Explorer.

Don't worry, guys. No apology necessary.

Well, I went searching the web after Rich's comments (never heard that the Explorer frame was based on the 150, and still can't find any facts that support it), and low and behold what did I stumble upon....

LINK

Don't worry, guys. No apology necessary.

None of that changes the fact that its a concept, and that the fact that you tow 7000 lbs with your Explorer makes you an oddity among owners.

You know, the Explorer Concept has the exact same doors (stylized for the concept but generally the same) from the current Explorer,

So the exact same Explorer doors (stay with me), when stylized for the concept, are generally the same? Your acuity of observation is stunning.

I'm really wondering if they intend to carry those over on the next vehicle

Yes, it will have doors, too.

and that may explain why this whole concept looks too much like the same old story.

Well, what did you expect? It had doors, too.

(never heard that the Explorer frame was based on the 150, and still can't find any facts that support it)

The hydroformed frame rails in front of the firewall were derived from the F150's design, and the tube-through-tube ladder section aft of the firewall is strikingly similar to the F150s, because the F150 was the starting point for the Explorer's frame. There are no shared frame components between the F150 and the Explorer, but the F150, not the previous Explorer was the starting point for the '06 Explorer.

06Explorer_15_HR.jpg

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_di...&make_id=92

The hydroformed frame rails in front of the firewall were derived from the F150's design, and the tube-through-tube ladder section aft of the firewall is strikingly similar to the F150s, because the F150 was the starting point for the Explorer's frame. There are no shared frame components between the F150 and the Explorer, but the F150, not the previous Explorer was the starting point for the '06 Explorer.

06Explorer_15_HR.jpg

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_di...&make_id=92

Thanks, Rich. To be honest, I stopped looking after I found the crow the others are eating. :)

That's what I thought as well, but there is a group here that seems to think Ford is totally redesigning it before it's launched.

I could see those numbers getting bumped up as high as 4500lbs, but I don't see them going much higher than that. Certainly not as high as the current Explorer.

Oh well, maybe they'll make an Expy Junior for you... It can come in three sizes then...

I could see those numbers getting bumped up as high as 4500lbs, but I don't see them going much higher than that. Certainly not as high as the current Explorer.

Oh well, maybe they'll make an Expy Junior for you... It can come in three sizes then...

Falcon and Territory are both rated at 5000 lb towing capacity.

Probably the limit for unitary without getting as heavy as BOF vehicles.

I have a unit-body SUV it creaks like a warped floor.

My V8 Explorer can tow over 7,000 lbs. Way more than 3500, unless my calculator is broken.

I have three kids and two dogs. Lets see, 2 adults, plus 3 kids, plus 2 large dogs = no new Explorer for me.

And, I speak the truth about Ford vehicles. If I haven't said anything good about them, that means there is nothing good to say.

Pioneer was right...for once.

"But the new setup could cut into a key element of the Explorer's traditional appeal. Crossovers are not typically as adept off road or for towing loads as traditional 4x4s. For instance, the current Explorer is capable of towing more than 7,000 lb., whereas most crossovers can haul only about 3,500 lb. "A lot of traditionalists think this is a soft way to go," admits exterior design manager Stuart Jamieson of the carlike approach." Business Week Article

:hysterical: GO PIONEER!

Hey, even a broken analog clock is right twice a day. It was only a matter of time. ;)

Oh, and just for the fun of it.

But the new setup could cut into a key element of the Explorer's traditional appeal. Crossovers are not typically as adept off road or for towing loads as traditional 4x4s. For instance, the current Explorer is capable of towing more than 7,000 lb., whereas most crossovers can haul only about 3,500 lb. "A lot of traditionalists think this is a soft way to go," admits exterior design manager Stuart Jamieson of the carlike approach.

Eat crow, bitches. :hysterical:

"But the new setup could cut into a key element of the Explorer's traditional appeal. Crossovers are not typically as adept off road or for towing loads as traditional 4x4s. For instance, the current Explorer is capable of towing more than 7,000 lb., whereas most crossovers can haul only about 3,500 lb. "A lot of traditionalists think this is a soft way to go," admits exterior design manager Stuart Jamieson of the carlike approach." Business Week Article

:hysterical: GO PIONEER!

the public has spoken...compare the #'s of Explorers sold to the # of edges......whilst I agree to some of the advantages of BOF etc etc ( another damn subjsct ) Ford is going where the $ are....sorry boyz, park the BOF Explorers out back by the Panthers.........

the public has spoken...compare the #'s of Explorers sold to the # of edges......whilst I agree to some of the advantages of BOF etc etc ( another damn subjsct ) Ford is going where the $ are....sorry boyz, park the BOF Explorers out back by the Panthers.........

I have to ask, how do you look people in the eye when selling them a Ford, driving to your job in a Mini? Do you hide it out back, or proudly park it in front of your dealership knowing that all the potential customers have to drive by and look at it? When people ask you what you do for a living, do you lie to them when they know what you drive?

I have to ask, how do you look people in the eye when selling them a Ford, driving to your job in a Mini? Do you hide it out back, or proudly park it in front of your dealership knowing that all the potential customers have to drive by and look at it? When people ask you what you do for a living, do you lie to them when they know what you drive?

absolutely not...Ford did not have a comparable alternative that fit the desires or budget....in atttack mode Pioneer? relax and take a chill pill or go pop some pimples will ya....

Edited by Deanh

I know, he bitches and complains about Ford and Michigan...its not like he's some undereducated dolt working on a line..he has a skill trade that could use outside of Ford, quite possibly making more money....people these days...

AND hes pisseed I didn't buy a Ford product....I didn't because the SVT was an overpriced underperforming semi- dependable TURD, and it was the only thing in Fords lineup evn CLOSE to my parameters....shame on me! If they had the verve at that time witha small TF engine...NO problem....

Edited by Deanh

Good, then we can mark you down as a conquest buyer?

Shows you Ford is on the way back.

if you haven't already guessed my big hot point is styling, always has been from a background in Illustration and graphic design, Fords coming back, bout time, some of the new design thoughts are fantastic, Lincolns Flex, the Explorer concept, the Verve...good signs AND they look more feasable than some of the prior concepts....currently the EDGE is holding up stylistically exceptionally well, Fusion needs a jolt, Mustang the same, Focus just SUCKS....opinions of course....