Negatoids Wrong Again

FordBuyer

what does that have to do with ANYTHING in this thread

Well I'm feeling quite confident about this, so lets make a bet.

I say Escape's fleet sales are about on par with those for the old model.

You disagree, you expect them to be down and FNA will be vindicated.

Whoever wins will Paypal the other guy 20 bucks.

Deal?

Edited by pcsario

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The negatoids can spin it anyway they want, but the fact remains that Escape is one of Ford's best sellers and remains so after redesign. The 2009 Escape that goes into production in a few months will only make it better. It will finally have a 4 cylinder that should offer significant improvement and a V6 with much more zip. Add in the new trans and they should have the performance to match the new look. Optioned correctly, the new Focus is a nice, little car. Buyers are seeing it as attractive buy. Not many vehicles out there get 35mpg and offer the room, features, and trunk space that Focus does. The Escape/Focus are nice one-two combination for Ford. In fact, lately I have noticed a lot of driveways around town with new Escape and Focus sitting in them. Focus for driving to work and back and Escape for weekends.

I'd drive a Focus, if I needed something cheap that was decent on gas. The Escape on the other hand would be a hard sell. The engine and transmission combo basically SUCK. I'd be more than willing to put it back on my shopping/recommended list after the upgrades see the light of day.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

One of my neighbors across the street has a Focus and 2 Fusions. :shrug: On my street alone there are at least 4 Fusions.

In fact, I have seen quite a few driveways with two new Focus sitting in them. It seems to be a hot seller right now. I personally would prefer I4 Fusion or hybrid over Focus. I know I could get 33mpg+ out of I4 Fusion no problem. I would wait for 2010 Fusion though with new I4 and new 6 speed trans. An SEL with nice option list and new I4 would be nice ride. I have a feeling hybrid Fusion production will be very limited and thus no special deals. The new Focus is tempting though. Nice car.

Now I know Pscario uses the CRV as his benchmark for Ford success. But the Escape is what it is and is a nice ride for a very good price. It remains a good seller for Ford and if anyting is selling better, not worse. Since Ford no longer pushes fleet sales to rental car companies, any fleet sale is probably profitable to them and I imagine every manufacturer pushes good fleet sales. Government fleets probably buy Escapes just like retail buyers do....nice vehicle at good price.

And Ford now seems serious about improving each and every product in its portfolio and will soon have every product with new 6 speed trans and more hp and improved fuel mileage.

I'd drive a Focus, if I needed something cheap that was decent on gas. The Escape on the other hand would be a hard sell. The engine and transmission combo basically SUCK. I'd be more than willing to put it back on my shopping/recommended list after the upgrades see the light of day.

I sort of agree with you on that. A friend has a Edge, likes it....but thinks it's too big. I'd of recommended the regular Escape except for the thrashy drive train....the Hybid is nice though.

Slow day at the Cottage Grove FD? Noticed a huge amount of posts from you... What are you, holed up in a back room somewhere instead of watching soaps with the rest of the guys?

probably pulling a "K" day...24 hr shift spent mainly cooking and basic maintenence and sleep catchup.....unless theres a call of course...Fluffy caught up a tree again, or a :redcard: driver having a turn.....MEDIC!

Edited by Deanh

In fact, I have seen quite a few driveways with two new Focus sitting in them.

The first time I saw it, I couldn't get used to the design being so busy. All they had available was the SES model.

Now that I've see the SE model, I have to say that it looks a lot better without the ad-ons like the vent on the side.

I'm seeing a lot more around town now as well. One thing for sure, the price has gone up except for the two-door model which is probably due to the fact that it doesn't sell. I have as yet to see one two-door on the road.

Curious....I still haven't seen on of the "Negatoids Wrong" threads concerning what a joke the Five Hundread and now D3 Taurus is versus the :redcard: 's. FORD'S NUMBERS!

So, when will that thread be happening again....or shall we wait for restyle number 3 in 2010? :stirpot:

As far as the Fukus goes, I was turned off by the pics of it, but it does look better in person.

Edited by Armada Master

Curious....I still haven't seen on of the "Negatoids Wrong" threads concerning what a joke the Five Hundread and now D3 Taurus is versus the :redcard: 's. FORD'S NUMBERS!

So, when will that thread be happening again....or shall we wait for restyle number 3 in 2010? :stirpot:

As far as the Fukus goes, I was turned off by the pics of it, but it does look better in person.

As soon as you decipher fleet sales from retail, on both platforms. Let us know?

I will not own another new vehicle without the SYNC or a close variant being optioned in it. I just called my sales person and work a deal on a new vehicle, I was adimate at the negotiatings onset that it must be SYNC equipped. She told me everthing I wanted to here, the deal was right and then the last thing she told me was that the SYNC was not an option on the vehicle I chose. Sorry I will wait till it is then, the 09' 4X4 SuperCrew F-150 will be mine! :shades:

As soon as you decipher fleet sales from retail, on both platforms. Let us know?

Because commercial fleet sales are teh devil.....

So now that we've deflected my original inquiries now onto margins, what kinda profit margins do the LONG since paid for :redcard: 's see versus the most likely still not anywhere close to being paid for D3's bring to the table....hmmm?

VW-OhSnap.gif

Edited by Armada Master

Because commercial fleet sales are teh devil.....

So now that we've deflected my original inquiries now onto margins, what kinda profit margins do the LONG since paid for :redcard: 's see versus the most likely still not anywhere close to being paid for D3's bring to the table....hmmm?

VW-OhSnap.gif

Your missing my point. The meat of the market (you know all that fruit that Toyota and Honda snatches up) aint related to fleet sales. Do you have profit margins for both the CV and D3s?? Lets not act as if this platform was engineered from scratch, nor that they haven't spawned other variants.

Your missing my point. The meat of the market (you know all that fruit that Toyota and Honda snatches up) aint related to fleet sales. Do you have profit margins for both the CV and D3s?? Lets not act as if this platform was engineered from scratch, nor that they haven't spawned other variants.

As far as that goes, the "meat of the market" ain't buying either one of these cars, but at least commercial fleets are still buying the :redcard: 's. As far as profit margins go, anyone with a lick of common sense will now it costs more to make the 3 year old D3 with extensive since launch upgrades versus the 10-16 year old :redcard: . And those D3 "variants", aren't selling either.

It would be more informative to compare retail to fleet year over year on the Focus. This car sold heavily to the daily rental agencies and that explains the bulk of its volume (at least 40%). The Focus otherwise has always sold poorly to real people. If they increased sales while dropping fleet by 20% or more, than the new Focus is making a positive impact. The Focus has also benefited from a very aggressive and expensive ad campaign.

IMO, Ford has a real winner in the Escape hybrid, yet its marketing is non existant.

You don't see Toyota advertising the Prius either. Capacity constraints and high sales mean spend your marketing funds on something else.

As far as that goes, the "meat of the market" ain't buying either one of these cars, but at least commercial fleets are still buying the :redcard: 's. As far as profit margins go, anyone with a lick of common sense will now it costs more to make the 3 year old D3 with extensive since launch upgrades versus the 10-16 year old :redcard: . And those D3 "variants", aren't selling either.

Yeah, lets talk profit margins...

How much money did Ford make in January when they sold a laughable 986 Sables?

Answer...not near what the GM made...:hysterical:

And on top of that, the figures are from 12 months ago.

Big changes have occurred since that last Fleet Central 2007 MY report and to say that

selling Escape hybrids to fleets somehow diminishes the accomplishment is laughable.

Edit,

When is the Fusion Hybrid due?

Edited by jpd80