GM cashes in with new Malibu

pcsario

hotelshot.jpg

Buyers showering GM with cash for the new Malibu

"This is very significant and it's a major plus for GM," said Tom Libby, an analyst with J.D. Power's Power Information Network. "It's rare that you see that much of a jump."

GM, with a dramatic makeover and massive promotional campaign, has transformed the Malibu from one of the worst-performing vehicles in the midsize field to a respected competitor.

"The Malibu is probably one of the most significant intros GM has had in recent history -- it's a very positively received redesign," Edmunds.com Senior Analyst Jesse Toprak said. "And now it's legitimately competing against the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, which is something no domestic midsize sedan has been able to do."

Ouch. Can't say I disagree.

fusion.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hotelshot.jpg

Buyers showering GM with cash for the new Malibu

Ouch. Can't say I disagree.

fusion.jpg

your hate for the Fusion knows no boundaries PC.......do like the look of the malibu though, barring the rear end which is just plain ugly...will be interesting if they hold up long run compared w the fusion.....have had a few prev gen malibus/ Impalas and chevy products turned in as fleet cars, needless to say they DO NOT seem to hold up well......

It's not hate. It's disappointment.

hey, give it some credit...the Malibu is new and fresh so not surprizing it has raised the domestic bar...easy to do if you have a target...HOPEFULLY Ford will one up the Bu.....course we have been dissapointed before ( ie 08 focus )

All this praise and the Malibu still isn't setting the sales charts on fire. I thought it was supposed to be the Second Coming.

truth be told nick...NOTHING is setting the world on fire, NOTHING, public extremely wary of spending cash right now, the "impulsive" buyer is no longer, the majority of purchases i am witness to now are those that NEED a car, and even then the trend is to compact fuel misers...sales are a direct reflection of the "economy" or perceived lack of.....

truth be told nick...NOTHING is setting the world on fire, NOTHING, public extremely wary of spending cash right now, the "impulsive" buyer is no longer, the majority of purchases i am witness to now are those that NEED a car, and even then the trend is to compact fuel misers...sales are a direct reflection of the "economy" or perceived lack of.....

I'm guessing Toyota will still sell 40,000 Camrys for March. If the Malibu was so much damn better than the Fusion, you'd think it would at least be a LITTLE closer to the Camry's sales than the Fusion's.

I'm guessing Toyota will still sell 40,000 Camrys for March. If the Malibu was so much damn better than the Fusion, you'd think it would at least be a LITTLE closer to the Camry's sales than the Fusion's.

unfortunately the camry has developed its own Eco system, its sales are self sustaining....the power of word of the brainwashed mouth......

All this praise and the Malibu still isn't setting the sales charts on fire. I thought it was supposed to be the Second Coming.

I thought it was supposed to be a flop when pricing was announced?

What was your stance then Nick? "I can already smell the rebates" / "Good one GM"? Now it's no big deal? lol_2.gif

Ford is practically giving the Fusion away, and the Malibu is already about to outsell it.

At significantly higher prices no less. :shades:

It's not hate. It's disappointment.

Yup. I have dignity and expected a quality effort from my favorite automaker. :(

PC you have a lot of issues with the interior of the Fusion? Have you sat in a Malibu?

I've only been in the black interiors. They just felt superior right from the start, car felt more comfy at speed.

Fusion only has more soft plastics, a worthless expense when the cabin looks like shit.

People spending up to $5,000 extra on a new model Malibu compared to the old one.

Still think the Mondeo is too expensive?

People are prepared to spend to get a quality product.

Agreed.

Don't tell Nick, though.

He really wanted GM to fail for not following FNA's strategy of becoming the american Kia. :hysterical:

Edited by pcsario

What was your stance then Nick? "I can already smell the rebates" / "Good one GM"? Now it's no big deal? lol_2.gif

Ford is practically giving the Fusion away, and the Malibu is already about to outsell it.

I wouldn't say give away at all, 2000 rebate ( for the minute % that pay cash ) or 2.9 for 60 months....right in line.

your hate for the Fusion knows no boundaries PC.......do like the look of the malibu though, barring the rear end which is just plain ugly...will be interesting if they hold up long run compared w the fusion.....have had a few prev gen malibus/ Impalas and chevy products turned in as fleet cars, needless to say they DO NOT seem to hold up well......

I discovered where GM got it's inspiration for the taillights of the Malibu today.....

08_Chevrolet_Malibu_LTZ_038.jpg

06.vw.passat.act-r34.500.jpg

2007_Volkswagen_Eos_ext_2.jpg

Edited by rmc523

I've only been in the black interiors. They just felt superior right from the start, car felt more comfy at speed.

Fusion only has more soft plastics, a worthless expense when the cabin looks like shit.

I'd rather have soft touch plastic then a back seat trimmed in nasty cheap plastic. The versions I've sat in included quality things such as ill fitting side impact airbag covers to plastic flash lines. Why GM decided to trim the entire back seat in plastic beats the hell out of me. The center console with the extremely odd sliding door and the plastic trim on the door didn't strike me as exceptional either.

Your issue with the Fusion is that it is a Fusion. If Ford rolled out the same exact interior I'd be willing to bet you would have problems from the get. There is nothing about the Malibu that is class leading, it is competitive (whereas the Fusion isn't) but it sure isn't segment leading.

The car still isn't convincing droves of customers to trade in their Camrys and Accords. Only 1.4 percent of Malibu buyers traded in a Camry, which has long dominated the massive midsize segment, according to J.D. Powers. Another 1.4 percent traded in a Honda Civic and 1.3 percent traded in a Nissan Altima. And fewer than 1 percent traded their Accords.

It hasn't exactly set the sales charts on fire, so by some measures, it very well could be considered a flop.

"Significantly higher prices"? The only prices that are significantly higher are those compared to the OLD Malibu that fleets barely even wanted.

Malibu is "already about to outsell" the Fusion. Congrats. A brand-new product that is being marketed as the best thing since sliced bread is ABOUT TO outsell one of the oldest midsize sedans on the market that you consider to be a horrible effort all around. Wow. That ought to make GM sleep well at night.

Good for GM. More sales of Chevy's is always better then more sales of Toyota's, Honda's, Nissan's, etc. The updated Fusion will hopefully do much better in comparison to the Camcordimabu.

I drive by a large Ford dealer everyday on my way home from work. I've noticed that about the only thing they have an abundance of is F-Series, Expeditions & Explorers. They had just a few Fusions, a few Tauruses, just a couple of Escapes & Rangers and not a single Focus. They were completely out of the TaurusX (they said they can't keep them in stock) as well. People are migrating towards vehicles with better fuel economy. The Fiesta can't come soon enough...

anyone have current sales figures for both new malibu and fusion so far this year? wonder if malibu is outselling it yet... would be considered a failure in my mind for a company as large as GM to have this highly praised vehicle still get outsold by a 3 year old car lol.

Malibu production goes down this week with American Axle strike continuing. This strike is really starting to hurt GM. April sales will be horrible. After 9/11, GM's zero financing helped American economy big time and now this time American Axle strike is helping to buy U.S. economy.

It hasn't exactly set the sales charts on fire, so by some measures, it very well could be considered a flop.

"Significantly higher prices"? The only prices that are significantly higher are those compared to the OLD Malibu

LOL... playing dumb already Mr. "I can already smell the rebates on this thing"? lol_2.gif

Didn't you even made a big deal about how expensive it was in comparison to the Fusion? Well yes, yes you did. ;)

And no, it's NOT a good thing to have the Fusion barely ahead of a car retailing for almost $2,000 more, and costing almost $28,000 in one of its more popular trims. In comparison, as we all know, Ford is having trouble moving the Fusion even at 17k.

Have you ever wondered what would happen if the Malibu was also 2k cheaper?

"Bubububu our car costs thousands less and barely outsells the Chevy bububu no big deal bububu" :cheerleader:

Edited by pcsario

And no, it's NOT a good thing to have the Fusion barely ahead of a car costing almost $2,000 more, and costing almost $28,000 fully loaded (in a trim that turns out is quite popular). In comparison, as we all know, Ford is having trouble moving the Fusion even at 17k.

And your basing this on what fact they are having problems moving them?