New Focus to be global

Ford-150

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YAY - about 12 months after it became obvious ... and after it was already widely reported ... but do not worry - we will have it "finally confirmed" about 6 more times between now and the release - much of the media has attention span of a kitten.

Igor

Curious, why would only 87 percent be shared global parts when the car is all global? Does this mean the Focus will still be noticeably unique to the US market?

There is still no confirmation here that Europe and NA will share the same Focus. They could remain on independent development tracks (Please God, no more!).

Curious, why would only 87 percent be shared global parts when the car is all global? Does this mean the Focus will still be noticeably unique to the US market?

I don't think the percentage has any implications for the Focus being unique to the US market. Kuzak was quoted in AN as saying (by way of contrast) that the new Fiesta only shares 66 percent of its parts globally - yet we know that it essentially has the same appearance in all markets. Kuzak was pointing out the progress that has been made by the globalization of the development process in terms of commonizing the parts being used (the Fiesta was engineered prior to the implementation of the global approach).

Edited by Harley Lover

Think differences in engines/transmissions being used, that accounts for what, 20% of the content on a car?

Different safety and emission standards account for some of the difference. The front end of Europan cars are also designed to be "pedestrian friendly" while U.S. cars are not. I'm sure there are other "local considerations" too.

C1 with a new top hat that is slightly bigger and more economical to build,

it's abit like an enlargement of Mazda 3 shell variation except styling is different.

The 13% comes from funny things like tires, brake pads, ect.

Edited by jpd80

Think differences in engines/transmissions being used, that accounts for what, 20% of the content on a car?

Don't forget cupholders and seats. Americans on average weigh much more than average European. Seats for American cars have to handle a lot more weight and girth.

Most vehicles sold on a global scale differ quite a bit. From de-contenting option availability, to emission controls, to changes in the color of turn indicators. The list goes on....

Engines will be set up to comply with all world emission regs at the one lab - big savings there!!

Engines will be set up to comply with all world emission regs at the one lab - big savings there!!

But I doubt we'll see Ecoboosted 1.6L I4's sold in the States anytime soon...I think the only way we'll an ecoboost I4 in a Focus or Fiesta is in a performance app.

But I doubt we'll see Ecoboosted 1.6L I4's sold in the States anytime soon...I think the only way we'll an ecoboost I4 in a Focus or Fiesta is in a performance app.

Sure, you wont see all the engines but it too early to count anything out.

Just because a Euro car is available with over eight different engines doesn't mean you need all of them for the US.

Most vehicles sold on a global scale differ quite a bit. From de-contenting option availability, to emission controls, to changes in the color of turn indicators. The list goes on....

The turn signal thing always baffled me. Why they don't use amber rear turn signals (and side turn signal repeaters) in the U.S. is baffling -- they have much better contrast than than all red.

Instead we end up with the Current Escape and Mariner that look like they should have amber turn signals but don't. That falls under the making something different that should just be common. Maybe one day the U.S. and Europe will stop the pissing match in safety standards and just adopt the best of both and be done with it.

Edited by jasonj80

The turn signal thing always baffled me. Why they don't use amber rear turn signals (and side turn signal repeaters) in the U.S. is baffling -- they have much better contrast than than all red.

Then you cant have the cool sequential signals like my Cougar has :D

Then you cant have the cool sequential signals like my Cougar has :D

Being they are illegal under current lighting codes among other things with the lights, you still could (if they were legal) they would just be amber -- like they are in the rest of the world.

Instead we end up with the Current Escape and Mariner that look like they should have amber turn signals but don't. That falls under the making something different that should just be common. Maybe one day the U.S. and Europe will stop the pissing match in safety standards and just adopt the best of both and be done with it.

But then who decides which safety standards are the "best"?

the current Mustang has kits to do that too

Yeah, completely off topic, but time to rant a little bit. I ordered said kit for my Cobra several months ago. It was on back order. When I finally got it last month, one of the harnesses didn't work properly. AAAAAGH!!! Had to ship it back to them, and I'm still waiting for a replacement. :banghead:

as said before the 87% is quite a high value ..

little things like brakes, suspensions (remember US likes softer than EU), seats, some bits about engine, and you are quickly at 13%

I very much hope Ford leaves the amber turn signals on global cars - I think they look better and classier on small cars.

finally, the 66% of the Fiesta has one BIG reason for being so low - ENGINES - US will use the brazilian ROCAM -

Igor