wescoent

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

car_photo_258123_25.jpg

Less information is available about the Mazda2 MPS, but expect a turbo'd 1.5-liter mill sending around 170 hp to the front wheels, a sport-tuned suspension and some exterior and interior tweaks to bring it up to Mazda Performance standards. If and when the Mazda2 makes it to the States, we'd expect the Mazdaspeed2 version to follow shortly thereafter.

SVT Fusion, Igor?

unlikely - EB will be tuned differently from MPS - it will focus on efficiency - the 2.5l EB in the Fusion will be positioned as V6 alternative - 30+ MPG and 260+HP .... (compared to 28-29mpg of the V6)

Igor

unlikely - EB will be tuned differently from MPS - it will focus on efficiency - the 2.5l EB in the Fusion will be positioned as V6 alternative - 30+ MPG and 260+HP .... (compared to 28-29mpg of the V6)

Igor

Cool I think I found my next car ;)

It should have a DSG in it also correct?

Sounds good to me anyway. Not that 260+ isn't enough in the Fusion, but I hope they make room for a higher HP sport model (SVT). Are these engines showing up in the upcoming refreshed Fusion?

There is also talk of the 3.5L finding its way into the Fusion as an ST or GT model...

I'm pretty sure. But, word has it that the US gets the 3.7L V6 making over 270 HP. I don't think the rest of the world gets that engine.

both CD3, but the US version is slightly bigger - and yes has the exclusive 3.7l V6

Igor

What I don't understand is that in all of the Explorer America Concept it mentions a 2.0I4 EB engine making 275hp (or so). Was this a typo, and they meant a 2.5I4? Or if it really is a 2.0 where does this engine come from? Is it the smaller version of the 2.3 that is in the base Mazda3 or is it a version of the new 2.5I4? Thanks.

There is a third SVT vehicle coming, if it's a Fusion it sure won't have just 260 horsepower, well over 300 would be needed or it wouldn't even be worth the effort.

Then my guess would be a 3.5EB for the SVT Fusion if it needs to make that kind of power. Although, with some lightweight parts a 280hp 4 cylinder EB would do just fine. The wait for these EB engines as well as the "5.0" is killing me. I guess we will be more certain as to the plans for the EB engines after the first ones appear in the MKS.

So in the case of the Mazda6, there will be a 2.5L and 3.5/3.7L V6...why have the 2.5L TT making 280HP if the 3.5/3.7L can make anywhere from 263/275HP easily?

So they can share the engine with the Mazdaspeed3? Plus I'd assume the 2.5L is lighter then a full dress Cyclone

i read that the 2.5 in the new 6 was a new engine designed by just mazda.

is this the case or are they using the ford 2.5l?

Define all new engine....

thats the confusing thing with the Ford/Mazda relationship at times. For example, the rumormill stated that the Mazda designed 2.3L engine didn't meet Ford's specifications for longevity in boosted applications and they where going to come out with an "all new" I4 that could. In the past couple months, that "new" engine seems to be the 2.5L I4 that is coming out in the new Escape and later the CD3 duo....But this engine is still based on the current 2.3L engine.

Then we have Mazda, They have a 3.7L V6 that they state is wholey new engine, when in fact its based on the 3.5L unit that is found in the Edge and D3 cars. Its not the same engine as the upcoming Lincoln 3.7L either....

I guess they define a "new" engine by different heads or different turbo charging equipment...but they all are the same engine block, with Ford or Mazda making changes to suit their needs.

There is a third SVT vehicle coming, if it's a Fusion it sure won't have just 260 horsepower, well over 300 would be needed or it wouldn't even be worth the effort.

Well, I don't know if over 300 would be NEEDED. Certainly it would be nice. However, there's more to a sport sedan than power. If they can tune the suspension to give it a MUCH more sporting flair (think BMW) and do their normal round of body/brake/interior upgrades, it would be just fine by me. Oh, and it better have a manual transmission.

I think the amount of power it offers up would be dependent upon the price too. Hopefully SVT will go back to a day when their models didn't cost twice what the car they are based upon did.

From my understanding:

The MAzda 2.5L is largely just a scaled up 2.3L MZI 4 banger. The Ford 2.5L is largely based on the D23 design, but is more thoroughly updated and supposedly boasts longevity and reliability improving features.

The D35 is the foundation for a family of engines that have mix and match improvement parts. The Mazda 3.7L V6 is, for all practical purposes, just a slightly bored and stroked (it may just be stroked) D35 in its original form. The Lincoln D37 has some NVH mods as well as some minor breathing revisions (that's from bits and peices found on this board). There will apparently be another "different" D37 that will go into the trucks. It will have a different "trim" as well and will have a performance profile more suited to trucks.

Look at the D35 like a Banana Split that only has the three scoops of ice cream and one cut banana but no toppings. In the base engineering, they designed the banana split to work with about 15 different toppings, to grow into a large bowl with large scoops of Ice Cream, and to work with Sherbert and Ice Milk as well. In its full trim, It's in a 20% larger bowl, its got chocolate, strawberry and pineapple toppings, a second banana, and tons of whipped cream and cherries on top. But, you get all that on your split, and its gonna cost you. The base split is fairly inexpensive as banana splits go and still gives you plenty to be happy about.

Why am I hungry all of a sudden?

that is a reasonable assumption

For others (Nick) - remember - SVT designation is reserved for extreme performance vehicles. A mild-performace trim would only get ST or other designation.

SVT will be for the extreme types - like Raptor, like GT500 ... or SHO-type Taurus with 350hp. For a Fusion that would mean well over 300hp and probably forced induction. Remember - Blue II a while back mentioned supercharged 3.0l V6 being developed ;)

Igor

Look at the D35 like a Banana Split that only has the three scoops of ice cream and one cut banana but no toppings. In the base engineering, they designed the banana split to work with about 15 different toppings, to grow into a large bowl with large scoops of Ice Cream, and to work with Sherbert and Ice Milk as well. In its full trim, It's in a 20% larger bowl, its got chocolate, strawberry and pineapple toppings, a second banana, and tons of whipped cream and cherries on top. But, you get all that on your split, and its gonna cost you. The base split is fairly inexpensive as banana splits go and still gives you plenty to be happy about.

Why am I hungry all of a sudden?

Use an open face club, a sand wedge!

Mmmmmmm, open faced club sandwich

that is a reasonable assumption

For others (Nick) - remember - SVT designation is reserved for extreme performance vehicles. A mild-performace trim would only get ST or other designation.

SVT will be for the extreme types - like Raptor, like GT500 ... or SHO-type Taurus with 350hp. For a Fusion that would mean well over 300hp and probably forced induction. Remember - Blue II a while back mentioned supercharged 3.0l V6 being developed ;)

Igor

Why does SVT need to be "Extreme"? For much of its first 10 years (its most successful years) SVT products were hardly extreme. They were just well-tuned, well-balanced versions of vehicles already on the market. Is there even a market for an uber-performance FUSION?