:hysterical:

On a related note, I've seen actual TV adverts for the Lincoln Towncar and Grand Marquis before, but only in Florda, which by no great coincidence is the most aged state in the Union. It's also the only place were a see a lot of new GMs and TCs.

Ah I knew I'd run foul of the sizing changes....

Mid-Sized cars in the 1960s and 1970s are the same as Today's Full Sized cars.

1974 Torino is the same size as today's Crown Vicky, would you call the CV Mid Sized or Full Sized?

Pontiac G8 is classed as a Full Sized car, the Falcon is near identical in size.

Edited by jpd80

IIRC, wasn't the last full size Ford with a manual the 1969 XL with a 429-4V.

Affirmative. I had 2 Galaxie XLs, both 69s. A guy I used to get parts from in Maine had a 69 XL GT fastback-red with black stripes, black vinyl roof, all the toys and the 360 horse 429 4V. What a bad-ass car that was! A few years back I saw a guy at a car show who converted a 95 Impala SS to a stick shift. He used a t-56 from a Vette and some Camaro parts to make it work-it looked like factory issue!

1974 Torino is the same size as today's Crown Vicky

Only on the outside. ;)

(Hint: The 72-76's back seat leg room was about as good as today's Focus)

And the only manuals were on the 6s and small-block V8s. The only manual big-block was a fictional red one on a certain cop show (even if the shifter itself looked suspiciously like an auto)

I don't recall what show I was watching, but the show was on drifting. This teacher of drifting liked to show how just about any car can do it, if you know how to drive. He would take CV/GM (don't recall exactly which), but mated a manual up to it. I was quite surprised at how well he could drift around the track on it. He did also some conservative power upgrades as well, IIRC.

Personally, I'd have fun finding a cheaper used CV/GM beef it up and put a manual in it. Drifting would remind me of running my old 1980 LTD on a frozen lake, whipping cookies and having hella wipeouts on it. See just how much you could loose control on the ice was fun. I learned a lot about how to drive a rear wheel drive car by doing that.

Affirmative. I had 2 Galaxie XLs, both 69s. A guy I used to get parts from in Maine had a 69 XL GT fastback-red with black stripes, black vinyl roof, all the toys and the 360 horse 429 4V. What a bad-ass car that was! A few years back I saw a guy at a car show who converted a 95 Impala SS to a stick shift. He used a t-56 from a Vette and some Camaro parts to make it work-it looked like factory issue!

Those 69 XL coupes were good looking cars. And, IMO, under appreciated today.

443750_3_full.jpg

I mentioned to my friend Jake Lamotta, who owns the foremost Mustang Performance shop in Central Florida, that there was a post on this forum about how to put a manual trans in a Crown Vic. He owns a Shelby GT 500 and a Mercury Maurauder.

His answer in his words "I can't think of a bigger waste of money". LOL

Edited by Ralph Greene

443750_3_full.jpg

I always loved those XL's! A freind of mine used to have one back in the 1970's. It was a cinnamon color with a white vinyl roof, white interior with black carpet and trim. She had chrome Cragar mags on it... She kept it after she got her brand new 1978 Thunderbird in Midnight Blue with chamois interior and split vinyl top.

443750_3_full.jpg

I agree....mine were both ragtops but I always liked those cars, they looked mean in the front. See, I do like some Fords-unfortunately most are long gone or priced in the stratosphere!