2008 MKS First Encounter

BORG

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, BTW, are we going to bellyache about how the MKS has Sync in it, just like the Focus?

I'm not really bellyaching about the wheel so much as I'm curious what's the criteria for a unique steering wheel. After looking at the various models in the FLM lineup, I can't see and rhyme or reason to it.

Makes sense to me. People use their phones a lot more often than they change the temperature on the climate control.

I've had temp controls on the steering wheel in 2 vehicles - a Lincoln LS I had for 6 years and an Aviator I had for 4.5 years. I think I've used the steering wheel temp controls twice. I need to see the temperature as I'm changing it so I always just reach for the HVAC control.

In other words - I don't miss it and didn't even realize they were gone until someone mentioned it.

I'm in love, I love the car. I don't think I can afford this one, we're looking at nearly 50K ...

Same feeling. Plus I'm not going to shell out that kind of money without a V8 (which the MKS could have had) or a V8 "like" performance (EcoBoost).

Of course this is now standard procedure for "The Way Forward".

Introduce a new vehicle and wait for the Powerrain guys to catch up. Other examples: 2007/2008 Zephyr/MKZ, 2008/2009 Escape, 2009/2010 F150. I feel sorry for the "early adopters", especially if they bought their vehicle. Resale price shot to heck be really "new" (not warmed over) Powertrains 1 year later.

Edited by theoldwizard

Same feeling. Plus I'm not going to shell out that kind of money without a V8 (which the MKS could have had) or a V8 "like" performance (EcoBoost).

Of course this is now standard procedure for "The Way Forward".

Introduce a new vehicle and wait for the Powerrain guys to catch up. Other examples: 2007/2008 Zephyr/MKZ, 2008/2009 Escape, 2009/2010 F150. I feel sorry for the "early adopters", especially if they bought their vehicle. Resale price shot to heck be really "new" (not warmed over) Powertrains 1 year later.

So you think it's better to delay those vehicles for a year or longer waiting for the powertrains?

The A/C systems on Fords have been frustrating me for years... I think now they are being rectified from their chief complaint, being, you had to set it for 60 degrees, to get the maximum cooling affect. Whenever I left it on AUTO, it would take wwaayyy too long to cool the car down as oppose to doing it manually. I think in the new vehicles there's a Max A/C button that takes care of it somewhat...

What setting would you guys recommend for FE? Regular or recirculating A/C?

Who are you and what did you do with PC? :P

Anyways, Regular AC is a waste, all your doing is taking outside air and cooling it down. Recirculating AC use the same air in the cabin that is already cooled down, thus making the compressor run less...which means less parastic drag to the engine and lower FE.

Who are you and what did you do with PC? :P

Anyways, Regular AC is a waste, all your doing is taking outside air and cooling it down. Recirculating AC use the same air in the cabin that is already cooled down, thus making the compressor run less...which means less parastic drag to the engine and lower FE.

I just do it so i dont have to smell stinky diesels out on the road.

The auto system, according to the owners manual in our Montego, when in auto will decide whether or not to be in recirculate or fresh air mode. So I just leave it in auto.

On Mustang and Explorer with manual AC, use Max (recirculate) when it's real hot....or when behind something smelly like a truck, bus, or a car with no cats. Will dial in heat if necessary on outside air mode. Here in Florida, I usually keep the air on all the time to reduce humidity, and add heat if it gets too cold. I never roll down a window.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Yes, traditionally on all my previous Fords, MAX A/C will recycle the air. It takes already cooled air from the inside, and make it cooler. For me to maximize it with EATC, I have to set the A/C at 60, then adjust the fan speed. And the most annoying aspect is, I must hit "recirculate" each time I turn on the car because it resets it off. I dont care for outside air, it's FL...it'll be too humid and hot anyways...but I must press it each time.

So I have to enter the car, turn the key to start the engine...

1) Then hit the Recirculation button

2) then hit the fan speed a few notches

3) Oh yeah, hit the "I Agree" disclosure on the Navi system

4) And last but not lease...turn on the A/C driver seat as well since it resets as well when you turn off the car...

THEN, I'm ready and set to move on with the spaceship...

I think all of these are pretty much un-necessary "things" to do various times a day.

1) I'm a fan of the German rotary dials for heated/cooled seats. They are the only things on the insides of German cars that I like.

2) HA HA. On my el-cheapo Sable, if I turn the car off on 'recirc' it's on recirc when I turn it back on. Why? Because I have to twist a knob.

3) You'll never see an end to the "I agree" button on Nav systems.

Yeah, like the Edge/MKX & Mustang too... Oh wait....

Funny thing that. Back when the SN95 was new, I ordered one. Recall that there where carryover engines in 94/95, waiting on the Mod series. The accepted car fan wisdom at the time was that cost was the issue, as Ford could not do both the powertrain and the chassis/body/etc. I am also sure there was more to it, just like this time.

I also thought that there would be fewer issues with a carryover powertrain, as to get the first of a new model is always fraught with guff from dealers and the factory. And it was. Multiple issues, from throwout bearings(? of all the things to go duff with a 5l 5 speed, they should have caught that one!), to airbag systems, and ABS crapping out totally, etc.

Nice car, being the first in the area with a dark green SN 95 was pretty sweet, but spending most of the first three months of ownership drving past the thing in somebody elses car while mine was in the service lot was a trying experience. And yet I was loyal when I traded it in for a shiny new 97 COBRA, hot off the line.

I still don't see why Ford can't get all this stuff done, are they not one of the worlds largest manufacturers of machinery? Do they not have enough capable engineers? Or is it deeper issues still dogging this company's can't do attitude?

Because I didn't understand it then, and unlike then, I don't have any money on the line this time.

And won't either, unless the last decade shows some progress.

It's about man-hours. To get an engine done a year early would require turning a 5 year development budget into a 4 year budget. It also requires either turning all future programs into 4 year programs, or dismissing a number of contract workers at the end of that project.

Where it serendipitously occurs that a new engine is ready at the same time as a vehicle launches ('96 Taurus/Duratec, '96 Contour/Zetec, '05 Mustang/3v Mod, '04 F150/3v Mod, '07 Edge/Duratec 35) Ford doesn't halt the launch of one to ensure quality with the other. However, it doesn't really make sense to push one to time the launch with another.

Why?

Because, for instance, the Duratec35 will eventually be used in the D3s, CD3s, and pickups. The Boss will be used on the full F-Series line as well as the E-Series and probably the Mustang. EcoBoost technology will be used everywhere.

Therefore, it's not essential to the long term success of the project to time its launch to occur simultaneous to the launch of some new product (among many) that will be using this engine.

Ultimately, Ford's goal is a 'rhythm' of engine and chassis cycles that may coincide from time to time, but not necessarily so. You see a similar strategy at Honda which is, IMO, the better company between it and Toyota when it comes to engineering practices.

Edited by RichardJensen