Cost of Closing Mercury: 2 Billion Dollars

Mercury perhaps doesn't.

I think that's about as close to the truth as can be said by anyone (maybe even those at Ford).

Mercury has such a small budget that I'm sure keeping it alive past 2012 would require minimal expenditures and lead time. And as such, it's not likely that anything is set in stone at this point.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merc will get squeezed out like Plymouth, which was down to 2 dealers, and sold only stripped Dodges.

Olds dealers were angry since many had re-modeled expecting 'rebirth' and sued and had to be given hush $$$. Also, there were thousands of stand alone Olds dealers. I think the one Merc only dealer closed in Penn.

A few years ago, our Mercury dealers went the way of the Dodo. Some dealers became Lincoln-Ford and the rest just closed. Was Canada just a testing ground for the U.S.? Probably. There was a time if you wanted more chrome, you bought a Mercury. Now, just order a higher trim package. SE, SEL, Limited. Remember when a different trim package meant buying a "different" car? Rideaux 500, Montcalm, Marquis and Grand Marquis. Four trim levels of the same car but sold as four different cars. Times have changed.

Merc will get squeezed out like Plymouth, which was down to 2 dealers, and sold only stripped Dodges.

Olds dealers were angry since many had re-modeled expecting 'rebirth' and sued and had to be given hush $$$. Also, there were thousands of stand alone Olds dealers. I think the one Merc only dealer closed in Penn.

Yes, a while back now the last Mercury-only dealer closed.

Well, I think the hope is that by the time Mercury dies, enough L-M dealers will either be merged or Lincoln will be high volume enough (at a RETAIL level), that the death of Mercury won't seem so bad. The models will slowly fade away one by one... Sable, then Mariner, then Milan, until all that is left is Lincoln. If they're making money, it won't matter if Mercury, at that point, stays or goes.

Not really. if mercury can't (and won't) provide a reasonable rate of return on the money(s) invested...cut it.

...Remember when a different trim package meant buying a "different" car? Rideaux 500, Montcalm, Marquis and Grand Marquis. Four trim levels of the same car but sold as four different cars. Times have changed.

The times may be changing back in the near future,

(not just-for or specifically-for Mercury)

IF the 'modular construction' hinted at by GM's Commodore/G8+Camaro+Senator/ParkAve. is expanded like in the thread that mentions F-A-Rwd on one platform/architecture,

along with more emphasis on flexible assembly plants,

& IF American mfgs decide to capitalize on the wealth of heritage nameplates that are largely unused currently.

I would have to argue there is no cost in closing the mercury franchises. If the dealers really want to bitch then convert the mercury franchises to Volvo. Another way could be to not renew any mercury franchises and slowly let it die. But to do that they would have to start taking action now.

I would have to argue there is no cost in closing the mercury franchises. If the dealers really want to bitch then convert the mercury franchises to Volvo. Another way could be to not renew any mercury franchises and slowly let it die. But to do that they would have to start taking action now.

There aren't nearly enough Volvos sold here to make that swap plausible.

And you would be wrong. Franchisees have the authority to either accept or reject any changes to their franchise contract that Ford attempts to impose on them. That includes sunsetting the franchise.

i seriously doubt franchise agreements continue indefinitely. when they do expire Ford simply doesn't renew them. Problem solved.

I was planning on my next car being a Mercury (driving an '06 Fusion now) seeing as I don't quite feel I am ready to step up to Lincoln and want more style than my Fusion has. But with all this talk of Mercury closing up around the same time I am going to get into the market (2010-11)....I guess it will be another Fusion for me....

Reviving Mercury would not be that hard and not too costly I believe, How about a Cougar based off the Mustang? It could compete with the G35 by having a some premium options and a much nicer interior and would also bring some young people into Merc.

Isn't every Mercury a clone of a Ford? So why does it lose money?

They are not pure "clones". Grills, fenders, hood, tail light and deck lids are different. Different cloth on the seats and trim on the door panels and and dash.

If you think designing and releasing all of those part (and then stocking them for repairs) is free, you know nothing about the automotive business.

If you want it to fail, just stop advertising it.

Every Mercry dealer in the US would have a lawsuit going within 30 days.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/84114-why-...cy?source=yahoo

Further verifying what I've been saying...

You all missed the most important point in the article.

Given how your bonus is paid for this year's performance, it's easier to kick the can to the next person.

In other, "I don't want to deal with it on my watch ! It might hurt my bonus !" So they will keep it going (word inside is that Billy personally asked to keep it alive a few years ago) even if the smart thing to do is kill it now.

No one in Ford's middle level management (LL4-LL2) seems to stay around long enough to reap what they have sowed.

Where were those who recommended Ford do the 6.0L diesel with Navistar when the warranty bills start rolling in (for many months the warranty cost on the 6.0L were more than all other gasoline engines combined !) Gone ! Moved on, moved up or moved out, all with big bonuses !

Reviving Mercury would not be that hard and not too costly I believe, How about a Cougar based off the Mustang? It could compete with the G35 by having a some premium options and a much nicer interior and would also bring some young people into Merc.

Many, myself included, have made this suggestion before many times, but to no avail.

Many, myself included, have made this suggestion before many times, but to no avail.

It would make more sense to use the extra dealer network (w/o Mercury) to increase Mazda sales. As for a new Cougar, why attempt to make a sporty, young Mercury when Mazda already has a great foothold in that demographic? Drop the EcoBoost 2.0L in a RX-8 platform and target $22k top end.

Mercury would not be profitable as a stand alone company, and Ford won't sell the name.

Mulally is not going to throw any of Ford's remaining cash down that chute, and if Lincoln cannot keep the LM dealers profitable, they will simply go out of business.

I can see this happening, but what might be more likely is the consolidation of Lincoln/Mercury dealers into being Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealers. The problem is that you will have consumers seeing a Fusion, Milan and MKZ in the same lot and be served at the Ford dealer level instead of the reportedly better Lincoln/Mercury dealer level of service.

The fair thing about Mercury, from where I stand, is that it has a different uphill battle than its competitors.

Buick? Staid.

Lincoln? Right now, still a geezer's car.

Mitsubishi? Heh, us young folks went that route a while ago and learned what crap cars they build.

Mercury, though... ah Mercury isn't labeled as anything. Mercury is, well, a Mercury. It's basically nothing but an upscale Ford and doesn't say much of anything except for being a piece of transportation that is slightly different than the crowd.

So, with that said, Mercury actually can turn heads.

What I'm wondering is what kind of turnover Mercury has in finding new buyers. Repeat customers, conquest sales and the like.

Anyone know?

Eliminating Mercury would require Ford to find a way to compensate their mercury franchise customers in some way. Ford could possibly influence Mazda to offer franchises to soem of the Mercury dealerships (that don't already have a MAzda dealership close by), they could offer substantially cost reduced Volvo franchises to some of them, provided that there aren't any volvo franchises too close by. The could offer them Ford franchises if there wasn't another Ford dealership next door (though, there likely is one across the street for most L/M dealershis). Their last option would be a buyout and leave them Lincoln only.

With a new Global Ford, Mercury does offer Ford the opportunity to add more niche vehicles to some platforms that will already be in production here. With C2 production in the US, there might not be a Ford C-max, but, there could be a Mercury version of the Ford C-max. Just an example.