Ford Kicks Off Fiesta Details

ANTAUS

no hybrid diesel ... in any sort of a plan for Ford ...

the rest - I do not know - it is possible

Igor

Igor, to continue your line of thought, hasn't Ford stated that the Gen 2 hybrid components debuting in the Fusion have been designed in such a way that they are much more flexible in terms of adapting them to different installations? Unlike the Escape's components, which are seemingly pretty much bespoke to that chassis? If all of this is correct, then that at least supports your thought process (at least a little).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Igor, to continue your line of thought, hasn't Ford stated that the Gen 2 hybrid components debuting in the Fusion have been designed in such a way that they are much more flexible in terms of adapting them to different installations? Unlike the Escape's components, which are seemingly pretty much bespoke to that chassis? If all of this is correct, then that at least supports your thought process (at least a little).

correct - 6 months after the Fusion - the D35 should come out with its hybrid system - so Edge, Flex, and Taurus can all have their hybrid as well.

the new system is not complete plug and play - I do not think any hybrid system is like that - but it is more flexible - this of course allows easier applications for smaller I4 engines such as the Fieste or Focus. This laso in theory allows its application to Diesel or EB egines, but those seem like futile excercises in excess torgue - all for extreme amounts of $$$.

Igor

Edited by igor

The generation 2 Hybrid system was designed for the 2.5 L. I can't see how it would fit into a Fiesta. It would add too much cost to the Fiesta. They are better to use some parts from the gen 2 and design smaller versions of the electric motor, and batteries for the Fiesta. Getrag is working on a hybrid Powershift transmission. This with some Ford parts might be the best way to go. You won't get 100 mpg, but I would be happy with a 60 mpg Fiesta.

The generation 2 Hybrid system was designed for the 2.5 L. I can't see how it would fit into a Fiesta. It would add too much cost to the Fiesta. They are better to use some parts from the gen 2 and design smaller versions of the electric motor, and batteries for the Fiesta. Getrag is working on a hybrid Powershift transmission. This with some Ford parts might be the best way to go. You won't get 100 mpg, but I would be happy with a 60 mpg Fiesta.

It's a shame there is no hybrid

http://jalopnik.com/397712/diesel-ford-fie...us-gets-625-mpg

The generation 2 Hybrid system was designed for the 2.5 L. I can't see how it would fit into a Fiesta. It would add too much cost to the Fiesta. They are better to use some parts from the gen 2 and design smaller versions of the electric motor, and batteries for the Fiesta.

I concur.

Getrag is working on a hybrid PowerShift transmission.

This is very back burner/skunk works as of about 4-8 weeks go.

The only diesels planned for the US are the 4.4L and the 6.7L Scorpion, both are V8s.

If they are US legislation environmently friendly compliant maybe they should fit them in a Fiesta then?

I'd love to see a Fiesta with either the 4.4 or 6.7. 500-700 ft-lbs of torque at 2,000 rpm and a 6-speed? Works for me. :)

There is nothing in that European article, issued from London, that says anything about what engine or transmission choices will be available in the USA, only that the USA version will be built in Mexico and available in 2010, which means MY 2011.

Maybe Ford wants to keep Toyota and Honda guessing as to the models, engine and transmission choices that will be available in the USA. After all, if you don't plan to market the car until 2011 MY, why show everything now?

Very good point. They are not going to release that information until a few months before launch. The media and everyone else will but Ford will not officially publish the info.

I'm pretty certain (but I can't find the press release at the moment) that the Getrag PowerShift 6 speed was announced for the US Fiesta. Getrag has announced that they are building a factory in Mexico near the Ford facility.

Yep !

I seem to remember reading about this transmission as well.

I wonder if our Fiesta will have models such as Titanium, etc. or if the US version will have "US" names, like S, SE, SEL, etc.?

Most likely the US names. I would like to see sport models using the ST and RS names over SVT. Save that for a Mustang or F-150.

Overall; IMHO, If the Fiesta is competing with the Yaris, Fit, Aveo, and Accent and has a 118 hp DOHC 1.6L I4 and avail. Getrag. This car WILL sell. I looks like it beats the competition in looks, features and is priced in the same range. Can't wait.

Edited by Hugh

Most likely the US names. I would like to see sport models using the ST and RS names over SVT. Save that for a Mustang or F-150.

I too think US names would be more appropriate. No need to confuse the customers, IMO, although with the globalization going on, I don't know.

A cheaper, less sophisticated single overhead roller finger follower cam (hence RoCAM) 2 valve/cylinder engine originally developed for Ford of Brazil but now found in several other countries. It is also called the Duratec 8V and is in some versions of the Ka, Fiesta (depending on country) and EcoSport.

Key word, "cheaper". Also less powerful.

And this is going to be put into a supposedly-cutting-edge vehicle that is supposed to redefine the direction of Ford NA because...?

And this is going to be put into a supposedly-cutting-edge vehicle that is supposed to redefine the direction of Ford NA because...?

2 reasons:

1) the engine is absolutely bulletproof much like old-tech truck engines - it will not quit - no matter what is thrown at it

2) it is Flex Fuel - it would be the smallest,most efficient E85 car on the road.

third one is obvious

3) it is cheaper for Ford and for the customer (if Ford decides to pass along the savings).

However with Fiesta's NA assembly being in Mexico, I am hopeful this plan has changed, or that there is an optional engine available.

Igor