Ford Kicks Off Fiesta Details

ANTAUS

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 reasons:

1) the engine is absolutely bulletproof much like old-tech truck engines - it will not quit - no matter what is thrown at it

2) it is Flex Fuel - it would be the smallest,most efficient E85 car on the road.

third one is obvious

3) it is cheaper for Ford and for the customer (if Ford decides to pass along the savings).

However with Fiesta's NA assembly being in Mexico, I am hopeful this plan has changed, or that there is an optional engine available.

Igor

Having LPG as a flex fuel in gasoline/diesel Fiesta would great as LPG is half the price of gasoline in the UK, it would great selling attribute and costs would be recovered buy the buyer within a couple of years of average use in the UK.

Fiesta pick-up maybe then Ed it will beak the silly rules on diesels they have in the US the laws an arse.

From what I've heard, a small diesel Hybrid system won't work because small diesels won't pass emmision standards.

However that HUMUNGOUS 6.7L Diesel would be great :rolleyes:

But a small gasoline hybrid as well as a full electric system would be very chic.

Fiesta pick-up maybe the answer then Ed it will beak the silly car/pick-up rules on diesels they have in the US, the laws an arse.
FIesta treuck is cvoming - what exactly that means is up to anyone - my source knew only that - Fiesta Truck ...

Igor

From what I've heard, a small diesel Hybrid system won't work because small diesels won't pass emmision standards.

However that HUMUNGOUS 6.7L Diesel would be great :rolleyes:

But a small gasoline hybrid as well as a full electric system would be very chic.

LOL, even better why not use an RB-211 that's fitted to most aircraft and ships in the US, with each powerplant putting out the same Nox levels as 8,000 diesel London buses would be fully compliant under US EPA rulebook, but l can understand the damage a Fiesta diesel hybrid passin LAX airport, Californians would faint knowing a 1.6L hybrid diesel just passed by on the local roads it would be enough to put eco friendly Californians off their flying at the worlds busiest airport.

Yes a gasoline hybrid all electric would all be great and add a duel fuel vehicles incliding LPG like Igor mentioned.

LOL, even better why not use an RB-211 that's fitted to most aircraft and ships in the US, with each powerplant putting out the same Nox levels as 8,000 diesel London buses would be fully compliant under US EPA rulebook, but l can understand the damage a Fiesta diesel hybrid passin LAX airport, Californians would faint knowing a 1.6L hybrid diesel just passed by on the local roads it would be enough to put eco friendly Californians off their flying at the worlds busiest airport.

Yes a gasoline hybrid all electric would all be great and add a duel fuel vehicles incliding LPG like Igor mentioned.

You don't understand, we Californians HAVE to feel guilty about our emissions! We have the highest HPA (Hippies Per Acre) factor in the nation, so with all the "smoke" they emit, we have to make up for it somewhere!

Ha ha! All kidding aside, I read about the difficulty passing small diesels on the Aptera website. They chose to use gasoline because of this difficulty.

Plus diesel soot has a VERY bad reputation. Ford has to do everything necessary to nab sales from Toyota & Honda, including sucking up to the collective 'green-think' here.

You don't understand, we Californians HAVE to feel guilty about our emissions! We have the highest HPA (Hippies Per Acre) factor in the nation, so with all the "smoke" they emit, we have to make up for it somewhere!

Ha ha! All kidding aside, I read about the difficulty passing small diesels on the Aptera website. They chose to use gasoline because of this difficulty.

Plus diesel soot has a VERY bad reputation. Ford has to do everything necessary to nab sales from Toyota & Honda, including sucking up to the collective 'green-think' here.

We to in Europe envy Arnie the Californian hippie leader, l wish we had more of his environmently friendly EPA compliant 8 MPG gasoline Hummers over here to help us be green like you are in California, but he is telling Bushie off at the moment about global warming, maybe Bushie needs to get a bit more Green and buy a EPA compliant Arab oil friendly/Massive Oil Trade Balance defecit 8 MPG Hummer off Arnie, but don't gasoline vehicles pump out massive amounts of CO2 compared to frugal diesels?

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/20...arzenegger.html

Maybe your all be driving around in Fiat 500's and Mini gasoline cars in the US if Arnie get's his own way with Bushie on cutting CO2, as 998cc gasoline engines and 1500cc gasoline/hybrids will be as big as it gets in Europe after 2012 when the new EU legislation CO2 emissions of 120g/km kicks in.

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/informati...bles.asp#petrol

What will Arnie do with his fleet of environmently friendly EPA compliant 8 MPG gasoline Hummers if he gets Bushie to change to low CO2 gasoline cars only in the US?

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I do not understand why people drive mustangs with a V6. A mustang is a sports coupe and should be driven with a V8 under the hood. But with gas prices at $4.00 a gallon and over, i guess it really does not matter. I always thought the 4.0 in the mustang was a little slow on pick up, thats why i say get one with a V8.

Edited by FordFanForEver

I do not understand why people drive mustangs with a V6. A mustang is a sports coupe and should be driven with a V8 under the hood.

That's because the Mustang bridges two completely different buyer demographics.

The V6 is $7,000 cheaper and if Ford uses the D35 or D37 and 6-speed under the hood,

the V6 Mustang might be a sleeper, quietly culling the odd Camaro or two.....

Edited by jpd80

I'm pretty certain (but I can't find the press release at the moment) that the Getrag PowerShift 6 speed was announced for the US Fiesta. Getrag has announced that they are building a factory in Mexico near the Ford facility.

Yep !

Maybe you mean this:

"Besides the hatchback, the compact sedan that will come out of Cuautitlán plant will be entirely inspired by the Verve Sedan presented at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show (possibly only with minor changes). The plant will go through massive modifications in order to produce the compact vehicles, once it nowadays is settled to produce F-Series pickup trucks. The fabrication processes for cars and trucks are very different, what explains the long time the plant will take to start delivering Fiestas first units, only in early 2010. The total investment for the reform amounts to US$ 3 billion and includes producing diesel engines at the Chihuahua plant and a new transmission plant in Guanajuato, in a joint venture with Getrag (GFT), to produce DSG-like gearboxes, the best ones for reducing emissions and improving fuel consumption. The investment will also generate 4,500 direct new jobs and 30,000 indirect jobs. "

Source: Ford

and this:

"Getrag expects to sell 500,000 DCTs a year growing to 2 million by 2014. That doesn’t include the 700,000 units that will come from the Chrysler-Getrag joint venture starting in 2009."

The VW has paddle shifters on the steering wheel and for maintenance they recommends that you change your DSG oil every 40k miles, which is a $400 charge at the dealer.

Wonder if Ford will have the paddle shifters and have the same maintenance recommendations?

2 reasons:

1) the engine is absolutely bulletproof much like old-tech truck engines - it will not quit - no matter what is thrown at it

2) it is Flex Fuel - it would be the smallest,most efficient E85 car on the road.

third one is obvious

3) it is cheaper for Ford and for the customer (if Ford decides to pass along the savings).

Right on the money with #1 and #2. The way I look at #3 is, it will allow Ford to make a reasonable profit and still price the vehicle at a "competitive" level. Remember this car will be competing against cars assembled in China and Korea. (Which will have huge shipping costs !)

However with Fiesta's NA assembly being in Mexico, I am hopeful this plan has changed, or that there is an optional engine available.

Not likely for Job #1, but hopefully a year or 2 down the road. If Ford doesn't do it, Roush, Saleen or someone else will take the 2.0L engine out of US Focus and cram it under the hood of a Fiesta !

"The VW has paddle shifters on the steering wheel and for maintenance they recommends that you change your DSG oil every 40k miles, which is a $400 charge at the dealer. "

Wonder if Ford will have the paddle shifters and have the same maintenance recommendations?

Paddle shifters are a gimmick for "high performance" vehicles. No one is going to mistake the Fiesta as a "high performance" vehicle.

I have not heard of any special maintenance requirements for the Ford/Getrag DSG (PowerShift). While similar and sharing some patent licenses, the VW trans is not made by Getrag. At $400/change, that must be some "magic" oil !!

Will the fiesta debut in the USA with that diesel?

There are currently no plans for diesels in any Ford US cars, period.

This is not due to "evil" government regulations, but rather corporate marketing management who still keep bringing up the Oldsmobile/Cadillac diesel disaster from the 1980s and engineering management who think that EcoBoost is a better solution and certainly can't afford to split their limited workforce.

I do not understand why people drive mustangs with a V6. A mustang is a sports coupe and should be driven with a V8 under the hood. But with gas prices at $4.00 a gallon and over, i guess it really does not matter. I always thought the 4.0 in the mustang was a little slow on pick up, thats why i say get one with a V8.
I agree...I bought an 08 GT convertable and I love the thing.....awesome power, handles great and looks awesome...don't drive it alot though, I park it in the winter...bought it last Aug and have only 2400 miles on it.

I agree...I bought an 08 GT convertable and I love the thing.....awesome power, handles great and looks awesome...don't drive it alot though, I park it in the winter...bought it last Aug and have only 2400 miles on it.

It's a shame we don't get the Mustang in Europe it would relieve the boredom that is FOE.

The VW has paddle shifters on the steering wheel and for maintenance they recommends that you change your DSG oil every 40k miles, which is a $400 charge at the dealer.

The VW DSG is by Borg-Warner. The 1st generation used wet clutches, and this 40K oil change may refer to these units. The 2nd generation B-W DSG uses dry clutches, as does the Ford/Getrag. They may not have this service requirement.

The VW DSG is by Borg-Warner. The 1st generation used wet clutches, and this 40K oil change may refer to these units. The 2nd generation B-W DSG uses dry clutches, as does the Ford/Getrag. They may not have this service requirement.

VW's DSG must had made the Ferrari's of this world go green with envy Ed, all cars should have it the only problem being the extra cost it's about another $2500 in the UK.

2 reasons:

third one is obvious

Those aren't reasons-- they're excuses.

Someone cross-shopping with Honda or Toyota will take one look at that valvetrain and cross the Fiesta off their list.

Seriously, Honda has been using variable valve timing since the mid-90's, and are among the most bullet-proof engines on the road, with HUGE aftermarket modding potential to flaunt.

In an age when Ford needs to change public perception by taking technological and quality leadership, instead they reach into the archives, dust off a lump of iron, and stick it in what would otherwise be a good car. Like the Five Hundred and the V6 Mustang.

Using an engine in the United States designed for the Third World is a fundamentally bad idea. Even Kia has a DOHC 1.6 with VVT, for crying out loud!!!!!

Edited by calypsocoral

Not everyone who buys a Mustang is in high school. When I bought my Mustang, I wanted a car that was both quicker and more fuel efficient than my previous car, an 87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. The V6 Mustang filled the bill perfectly.

BTW, the current V6 Mustang has the same 0-60 time as a Mustang with a 429 Cobra Jet.

Those aren't reasons-- they're excuses.

Someone cross-shopping with Honda or Toyota will take one look at that valvetrain and cross the Fiesta off their list.

Seriously, Honda has been using variable valve timing since the mid-90's, and are among the most bullet-proof engines on the road, with HUGE aftermarket modding potential to flaunt.

In an age when Ford needs to change public perception by taking technological and quality leadership, instead they reach into the archives, dust off a lump of iron, and stick it in what would otherwise be a good car. Like the Five Hundred and the V6 Mustang.

Using an engine in the United States designed for the Third World is a fundamentally bad idea. Even Kia has a DOHC 1.6 with VVT, for crying out loud!!!!!

Not to jump on anyone; Is the MZR DOHC 1.6L any less bullet proof? Is there an issue with them? It's like saying we'll wait to put the D35 in a car because it's new and just use the PIP D30 because it's reliable. That train of thought doesn't wash with me. Is there a logical explaination why there is a new car and one year later a new engine? Is it a budget issue? A rollout issue, testing, EPA validation for example? Are the RoCAMs being phased out so lets use the rest of them before we move to a new powertrain? This is all speculation at best I admit and there is no concrete evidence as to what is going in NA Fiesta except for some sources. I'll wait and see.

Not everyone who buys a Mustang is in high school. When I bought my Mustang, I wanted a car that was both quicker and more fuel efficient than my previous car, an 87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. The V6 Mustang filled the bill perfectly.

BTW, the current V6 Mustang has the same 0-60 time as a Mustang with a 429 Cobra Jet.

Oh c'mon.....the same pickup and go as a Cobra...prove it pal.