Camaro Officially Revealed

ANTAUS

400 horsepower and 13.3 second 1/4 miles. Ugh. What is wrong here? I've seen cars (including my own) do better than that with 100 fewer horses.

Something really needs to be done about the weight in some of these new cars.

I say put out a bounty on the greenies and safety gurus.............

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

400 horsepower and 13.3 second 1/4 miles. Ugh. What is wrong here? I've seen cars (including my own) do better than that with 100 fewer horses.

Camaro SS automatic:

Power 400 hp

Transmission: 6-speed auto

Curb weight: 3913 lbs

0-60 mph 4.6 sec

1/4 mile: 13.3 sec

For compariosn:

Shelby GT500 (car and driver test):

Power 500 hp (+ 100 hp)

Transmission: 6-speed manual

Curb weight: 3920 lbs (+ 7 lbs)

0-60 mph 4.5 sec (-0.1 sec)

1/4 mile: 12.9 sec (-0.4 sec)

Challenger SRT8 (car and driver test):

Power 425 hp (+ 25 hp)

Transmission: 5-speed auto

Curb weight: 4140 lbs (+ 227 lbs)

0-60 mph 4.8 sec (+0.2 sec)

1/4 mile: 13.3 sec (=)

Edited by AM2

Camaro SS automatic:

Power 400 hp

Transmission: 6-speed auto

Curb weight: 3913 lbs

0-60 mph 4.6 sec

1/4 mile: 13.3 sec

For compariosn:

Power 500 hp (+ 100 hp)

Transmission: 6-speed manual

Curb weight: 3920 lbs (+ 7 lbs)

0-60 mph 4.5 sec (-0.1 sec)

1/4 mile: 12.9 sec (-0.4 sec)

Power 425 hp (+ 25 hp)

Transmission: 5-speed auto

Curb weight: 4140 lbs (+ 227 lbs)

0-60 mph 4.8 sec (+0.2 sec)

1/4 mile: 13.3 sec (=)

Hmmm...going by that comparison, they all look like horrid results.

NEVERMIND the rest of my rant -- saw your typo. :)

Edited by NickF1011

...and the weaker 400hp SS automatic has a quicker 0-60mph time of 4.6 sec?(!) Thats GT500 territory.

-edmunds

I've been saying this for some time now and still the hard core "it's gotta be a stick shift" crowd refuse to accept the new reality. Modern ECM's can, do, and will continue to make an automatic transmission a better performer than a stick shift. You can't outdrive the computer gentlemen, no matter how much of a Mario Andretti you think you are. The turbo charged high performance versions of the Sky and Solstice are the same way, the automatic version is faster than the stick. Heck they would have swtiched to automatics in formula 1 cars years ago except that the rules dictate the driver must change the gear, hence the birth of the push button or paddle shift gear change on the steering wheel.

I've been saying this for some time now and still the hard core "it's gotta be a stick shift" crowd refuse to accept the new reality. Modern ECM's can, do, and will continue to make an automatic transmission a better performer than a stick shift. You can't outdrive the computer gentlemen, no matter how much of a Mario Andretti you think you are. The turbo charged high performance versions of the Sky and Solstice are the same way, the automatic version is faster than the stick. Heck they would have swtiched to automatics in formula 1 cars years ago except that the rules dictate the driver must change the gear, hence the birth of the push button or paddle shift gear change on the steering wheel.

That's assuming that 4.6 seconds is a realistic 0-60 time for the GT500 also. I've yet to see any really reliable GT500 acceleration times from mainstream auto rags. I mean seriously. If you buy a 12.9 second 1/4 mile time as being normal for a 500 horsepower 3900 lb car with a compitent driver, I've got a bridge to sell ya.

To show I'm not being purely biased here, just take a look at what some of the LS1-powered F-bodies were managing with FAR less power and only a few hundred pounds weight advantage. They were running low 13's like it was nothing.

Yes, automatics have come a long way and they aren't to be discredited, but I still prefer rowing through gears myelf.

Whats wrong here is those are some seriously conservative estimates. The car will perform better in the real world. As you said, look at the ls1 f bodies that would run low 13's and some high 12's all day long. The Gen 5 has a more favorable power to weight ratio than the Gen 4 so its not hard to figure out how fast this car really will be in the real world. Killer engine but just heavy as aunt Jemina.

Everybody can say what they want but the 5.0 cant get here quick enough. The lastest I have heard is that the next mustang wont gain weight but wont lose any either. The 5.0 is supposed to be more FE and the DI version cant get out quick enough either.

Hey boys and girls. How about this comparison:

GT500 = 500hp/3920lbs/T56

Camaro SS = 422hp/3860lbs/T56

GT500 = 14/20 MPG

Camaro SS = 15/23 MPG

The Camaro also has a much newer chassis and more sophisticated independent rear suspension. Oh yeah, it'll likely cost $10-15k LESS.

Give me a SS - make it red.

Hey boys and girls. How about this comparison:

GT500 = 500hp/3920lbs/T56

Camaro SS = 422hp/3860lbs/T56

GT500 = 14/20 MPG

Camaro SS = 15/23 MPG

The Camaro also has a much newer chassis and more sophisticated independent rear suspension. Oh yeah, it'll likely cost $10-15k LESS.

Give me a SS - make it red.

I may be mistaken by I sincerely believe that the Shelby has a T6060 (slightly modified version of the Dodge Viper Tranny). The previous generation Cobras where fitted with the T56. If I am wrong please feel free to point it out to me.

As for the specs, let's remember that the current Mustang is in it's 5th year of production, the Shelby is in it's third and all are due for a mid life upddate. In other words instead of comparing real cars (Mustang/ Shelby's) vs pre-production versions of cars due to be built sometime next year, let's do a head to head comparison with production Camaro's with the next iteration of production Mustang/Shelby/whatever S/E that Ford produces. It's a good time to be a muscle car fan.

Edited by Shipwright

Less weight equals much more money. Let's remember these are 'Pony' cars, not exotics.

I may be mistaken by I sincerely believe that the Shelby has a T6060 (slightly modified version of the Dodge Viper Tranny). The previous generation Cobras where equipted with the T56. If I am wrong please feel free to point it out to me.
The SS also uses the T6060.

As for the specs, let's remember that the current Mustang is in it's 5th year of production, the Shelby is in it's third and all are due for a mid life upddate. In other words instead of comparing real cars (Mustang/ Shelby's) vs pre-production versions of cars due to be built sometime next year, let's do a head to head comparison with production Camaro's with the next iteration of production Mustang/Shelby/whatever S/E that Ford produces. It's a good time to be a muscle car fan.
I don't care what year they're on, the Camaro SS and 500hp GT500 will be on sale at the same time and I'd rather have the SS. Besides, Chevy has the Z28 waiting to pounce.

The SS also uses the T6060.

I don't care what year they're on, the Camaro SS and 500hp GT500 will be on sale at the same time and I'd rather have the SS. Besides, Chevy has the Z28 waiting to pounce.

of course.....you are a GM fanboy....we know that

just like i rather have a GT500 cause i will admit i am biased to Ford(hence www.blueovalforums.com)

oh and the Z28 is dead

i wonder if they will kill the new GT500?

but welcome back, have not seen you on here since they announced the CTS-V

...and the weaker 400hp SS automatic has a quicker 0-60mph time of 4.6 sec?(!) Thats GT500 territory.

-edmunds

that also happens to be only .3 slower than the LS3 Corvette, but the LS3 Corvette is way lighter, more powerful, and costs more

i doubt those #'s, no public tests have been made and jpd if you can refresh my memory, didn't HSV claim a certain # for one of their cars that no one else was able to recreate?

but then again if it is true.....props to GM, even 4.7 or 4.8 out of the 400hp auto would be good

Edited by Ford-150

Less weight equals much more money. Let's remember these are 'Pony' cars, not exotics.

Less weight can be had through other means. Just park an S197 Mustang next to an SN95. It's easy to tell how it gained weight. It's just a BIGGER car. Yes, the SN95 was a little cramped inside, but hey, it's a PONY car, like you said -- it's not for everybody.

of course.....you are a GM fanboy....we know that

just like i rather have a GT500 cause i will admit i am biased to Ford(hence www.blueovalforums.com)

oh and the Z28 is dead

i wonder if they will kill the new GT500?

but welcome back, have not seen you on here since they announced the CTS-V

Umm, I gave solid reasoning as to why I would want the SS over the GT500. I don't see why the word fanboy needs to be used.

As I said, the SS has IRS, it's 60lbs lighter, gets better gas mileage, has better weight balance and will cost AT LEAST $10k less.

The only reasons I can think of for buying the GT500 are:

1. You LOVE the looks

2. You absolutely MUST go 0.5 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile

3. You're a Ford fanboy

Edited by eddiehaskell

I believe production of the GT500 ceases in January or February with no official announcement of a replacement from Ford. If your basing your purchasing decision on power/handling/mileage then lets wait and compare actual production cars to get definitive data instead of bench racing.

As a side note, I happen to like the look of the new Camaro and think the convertible version (pray GM makes it) will be very attractive, I just have a hard time with the interior.

(disclaimer) I own an 08 Grabber Orange GT500 Vert.

Umm, I gave solid reasoning as to why I would want the SS over the GT500. I don't see why the word fanboy needs to be used.

As I said, the SS has IRS, it's 60lbs lighter, gets better gas mileage, has better weight balance and will cost AT LEAST $10k less.

The only reasons I can think of for buying the GT500 are:

1. You LOVE the looks

2. You absolutely MUST go 0.5 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile

3. You're a Ford fanboy

Don't sweat it eddiehaskell and don't feel like you need to justify wanting to buy a Camaro or any other car to anyone, ever. Guys like Nick and F150 with the silly comments about scrapmetal and fanboys are on every car forum. They still haven't figured out that there behavior and their comments do far more to turn people off to their favorite brand of car then it ever does to make anyone want to buy a Ford. The same sort of thing happens over on the Jeep forum I visit regularly where all the Hummer bashing takes place. It's silly nonsense and that's all. There's nothing wrong with liking the Camaro or the Challenger or hell a doggon Mitsubishi Eclipse if that's your thing. If you listen to these losers around here too much they'll try and have you believe that if you choose any of those over a Mustang you have made some huge mistake and you must be some kind of giant moron. Like I said, their behavior just turns people off about Fords more than it ever will encourage anyone to buy one.

You catch more flies with honey boys, grow up and learn something.

Don't sweat it eddiehaskell and don't feel like you need to justify wanting to buy a Camaro or any other car to anyone, ever. Guys like Nick and F150 with the silly comments about scrapmetal and fanboys are on every car forum. They still haven't figured out that there behavior and their comments do far more to turn people off to their favorite brand of car then it ever does to make anyone want to buy a Ford. The same sort of thing happens over on the Jeep forum I visit regularly where all the Hummer bashing takes place. It's silly nonsense and that's all. There's nothing wrong with liking the Camaro or the Challenger or hell a doggon Mitsubishi Eclipse if that's your thing. If you listen to these losers around here too much they'll try and have you believe that if you choose any of those over a Mustang you have made some huge mistake and you must be some kind of giant moron. Like I said, their behavior just turns people off about Fords more than it ever will encourage anyone to buy one.

You catch more flies with honey boys, grow up and learn something.

Yes. You are right. There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking the Camaro and the Challenger. But you don't need to insult the Mustang in order to make your desires known. Insult the Mustang, expect to be insulted in return. It's really as simple as that.

Edited by NickF1011