Flex crash test and side impact (NHTSA)

mkizlvr

did you notice how the emergency flashers turned themselves on automatically after the side impact? Thats part of the new safety system.

Yes, thats another 5 star crash test added to the manufacturer that has more 5 star crash tests than any other.

Frontal Driver Rating star5.png

Frontal Passenger Rating star5.png

Side Driver Rating star5.png

Side Rear Passenger Rating star5.png

09Flex-f.jpg

Too many vehicles are achieving 5 star now. They need to add 6 and 7 star so we can see who is best.

I think that they should instead create a new 5 star system, much like the EPA created a new system for fuel mileage. Make it harder to get 5 stars.

Edited by suv_guy_19

What you people can look at is the actual numbers related to a impact. The human body can withstand certain amounts forces without breaking ect... The statistics say that a 5-star rated vehicle will give you a 10% chance or less of being seriously injured. Without analyzing the input criteria we do not know the demographic of the people they researched for this but its fair to say the average healthy adult is 90% likely not to experience any major injuries. Now lets look at the '09 frontal crash numbers: Lower is better...

Flex:

Head Injury Criterion 223 326

Chest deceleration (g's) 47 36

Femur load l/r1 (lb) 607 / 425 536 / 727

Competition:

Honduh Pilot: 5*both

Head Injury Criterion 271 374

Chest deceleration (g's) 42 44

Femur load l/r1 (lb) 402 / 629 599 / 659

Honduh Odyssey:5* both

Head Injury Criterion 249 333

Chest deceleration (g's) 36 40

Femur load l/r1 (lb) 367 / 753 886 / 754

Toiletota Highlander: 5*both

Head Injury Criterion 378 557

Chest deceleration (g's) 39 44

Femur load l/r1 (lb) 365 / 589 604 / 605

Toiletota Sienna: 4* driver 5*pass

Head Injury Criterion 473 404

Chest deceleration (g's) 45 39

Femur load l/r1 (lb) 829 / 774 826 / 770

If we wanted a statistically significant comparison we would have to crash no less than 30 of each type of vehicle plus the control group to make any mathematical determination but conjecture is always fun.

The Flex driver femur load is almost double that of the Odyssey but the Flex pass is much better managed than that of the Odyssey. In fact with the exception of the with a 4* driver all the crapanese products appear to not care as much about the pass whereas in the Flex the pass is better protected than that of the driver in all but HIC. So final conjecture verdict? As usual Ford continues to care about whole car crash dynamics as demonstrated in real world crash scenarios. Perhaps someone will take the time to compare side impacts? There is a reason crapanese products have been called tin cans in the past...

did you notice how the emergency flashers turned themselves on automatically after the side impact? Thats part of the new safety system.

Yes, thats another 5 star crash test added to the manufacturer that has more 5 star crash tests than any other.

Frontal Driver Rating star5.png

Frontal Passenger Rating star5.png

Side Driver Rating star5.png

Side Rear Passenger Rating star5.png

09Flex-f.jpg

That is impressive how the front door is basically still very structurally sound from looks of above picture. That means the full force of crash never got to the driver compartment. The more I see of the Flex the more I like it. I wouldn't mind owning one, I like it that much. Looks like great vehicle for long trips and just about everything else. I'm pretty sure I could pull 26-27mpg out of it on trip no problem.

That is impressive how the front door is basically still very structurally sound from looks of above picture. That means the full force of crash never got to the driver compartment. The more I see of the Flex the more I like it. I wouldn't mind owning one, I like it that much. Looks like great vehicle for long trips and just about everything else. I'm pretty sure I could pull 26-27mpg out of it on trip no problem.

Except for the shell, the Flex is very similar to my Taurus X.

You can see the crash test videos of the T-X on Ford's web site. I was impressed that even with all the compression of the front end during a frontal and offset collision, the windshield only got a little crack but didn't break. The tires stayed inflated, and everything from the firewall back looked fine. At the same time you see the car fill up with approprate air bags while the outer shell structure remains intact and solid. It's impressive and shows you how very safe the cars have become.

Like the Flex the Taurus X is also rated for 24 MPG on the highway. If I stay at 65 MPH and lower on near level highways, I can get 26-27 MPG average. Coming back from Tahoe to San Jose, I got 26.5 MPG over the 400 mile trip, even with four bikes on the rear rack and a couple traffic jams of about an hour each. Without the jams, I might of been in the 28-29 MPG range. Commuting to work that's 70% highway, I'm getting 23-25 MPG combined average over the entire week.

The ecoboost coming out next year should improve mileage by 25% - or up over 30 MPG for this big people mover!

"did you notice how the emergency flashers turned themselves on automatically after the side impact? Thats part of the new safety system."

This is something I wondered why Ford hasn't got to yet. It's not hard to tell computer, "When airbags pop, turn on flashers"....BMW has had that for years...

"did you notice how the emergency flashers turned themselves on automatically after the side impact? Thats part of the new safety system."

This is something I wondered why Ford hasn't got to yet. It's not hard to tell computer, "When airbags pop, turn on flashers"....BMW has had that for years...

Well BWM might want to license Ford's technology, you would think BWM could get their flashers to activate after a scripted crash test, but they don'tt go on like the Flex's did in this test.

Again no flashers BMW 3 Series

BMW may also want to rethink their level of safety provided by their cars.

The 2008 BMW 5-Series gets 3 stars from the Feds for the driver in the frontal crash test.

The 2008 BMW 3 Series gets 4 stars for the driver and passenger in the frontal crash test.

Edited by range

Ford's alleged "Safest Car in America" only got 4 stars for that test (NHTSA), but ol' reliable, the :redcard: 's got 5 stars on that one. :stats: :ohsnap:

You don't seem to be very informed about rollover information. What you incorrectly referred to as a "test" is not a test. Suggest you go back and reserach that a little better.

You also seem to be be ignorant to the rollover safety features with the Taurus , vis a vis the :redcard: .

The Taurus has :

1) a roll stability control system

2) an industry exclusive system using two gyroscopic sensors that measure both Yaw and Roll axes

3) exclusive collision and rollover activated side curtain air bags featuring "roll fold" technology

4) Safety Canopy designed to stay inflated for several seconds, as rollover events often take longer than frontal collisions.

You don't seem to be very informed about rollover information. What you incorrectly referred to as a "test" is not a test. Suggest you go back and reserach that a little better.

Oops...I'll rephrase, rollover ASSESSMENT for those playing from home.

You also seem to be be ignorant to the rollover safety features with the Taurus , vis a vis the :redcard: .

The Taurus has :

1) a roll stability control system

2) an industry exclusive system using two gyroscopic sensors that measure both Yaw and Roll axes

3) exclusive collision and rollover activated side curtain air bags featuring "roll fold" technology

4) Safety Canopy designed to stay inflated for several seconds, as rollover events often take longer than frontal collisions.

5) Still one less star than the ancient Panther platform for rollover on NHTSA.

5) Still one less star than the ancient Panther platform for rollover on NHTSA.

Yes, the star says the Taurus is slightly more likely to roll over. However, that star says nothing of which will actually be safer if a rollover happens to occur. I would put my money on the Taurus.