The Fiesta and what you expect out of it

elkarlo

It seems like a lot of people think the Fiesta will either die on the vine, or save Ford.

Now I think the Fiesta will sell ok. It will not be another Edge. In no way do I expect monthly sales to exceed 10k. On the flip side, due to styling, and possibly good MPG offered it shouldn't be below 4k. Annually I think it will garner between 60k-85k. Now I may be wrong, and the actual styling it has, especailly in the sub compact market may add to the Fiesta being a hit. But even in that case I'm calling 9k at best.

Now how much will this help dealers? Will it get them some sales that they need? Or even traffic, that will help them sell Foci?

Let's discuss and not make this thread retarded.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/4...r_november.html Honda Fit sales >6k for July.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A) it will sell well and eat into the competitors perceived superiority.B) If it lives up to expectations ( and I fully beleive it will ) it will assist product loyalty C) it will help attain stringent CAFE ratings that will wnable for dto sell MORE of the profitable less fuel efficient mainstays....WINNER all around if you ask me...and its styling BLOWS all the competion away...expect reaction...especially from Honda

Edited by Deanh

I haven't driven a european Fiesta so someone will have to do the competitive assessment, BUT

If Consumers Distorts er, Toyota Reports, doesn't see it as an equal to it's competitors and even then CU will pan it due to unknown warrenty THEN it might have a chance styling may get customers in the door but it's got to hit a double (package and performance (go and stop (Ford always forgets brake performance)) or it will die on the vine.. SO it's got to be really good, think Civic good even though the two are not in the same class..

This goes true for the rest of the euro transplants. As the Germans say Ford out: walk back (it's a double entendre: Ford sounds like Fart or go)

Edited by dunebuster

This car will be huge from a perception perspective.

In todays market, perception = reality. The Fiesta, and the rest of the European line-up, will go a long way in healing Fords perception problem.

While the Fiesta will help with the buying publics perception of Ford, as a truck only company.............. the Aveo does absolutally nothing but confirm peoples perception of GM................ and a we don't care about cars, truck only company.

I haven't driven a european Fiesta so someone will have to do the competitive assessment, BUT

If Consumers Distorts er, Toyota Reports, doesn't see it as an equal to it's competitors and even then CU will pan it due to unknown warrenty THEN it might have a chance styling may get customers in the door but it's got to hit a double (package and performance (go and stop (Ford always forgets brake performance)) or it will die on the vine.. SO it's got to be really good, think Civic good even though the two are not in the same class..

This goes true for the rest of the euro transplants. As the Germans say Ford out: walk back (it's a double entendre: Ford sounds like Fart or go)

I don't think Consumer Reports is something Ford needs to worry about. CR has been rather friendly to Ford lately and is keen on their quality turnaround. Based on what I've heard about the crapnasticness of the Yaris, I don't think the Fiesta would really need to reach very high to trump that vehicle's quality. However, I think Ford looks to be reaching high anyway, so it should really blow the Yaris out of the water. The Fit is a bigger challenge, but I think the Fiesta will have what it takes to stack up.

What am I expecting? Maybe 6000-7000 sales a month. If it's more, that would probably be exceeding what Ford is expecting from it. But, it's not just the initial sales that matter with this car. As Deanh pointed out, it's more of a gateway car for customers to become acquainted with Ford again so maybe their next vehicle after that would be a Focus, or a Fusion, or a Taurus, or a Flex.... In that sense, the Fiesta is a critical vehicle. Will it save Ford directly by itself? No. But it's a big piece of the puzzle.

Since at the start anyway one whole plant will be devoted to the 4 door Fiesta sedan and 3 door hatch, I would think Ford should be able to sell 10,000-15,000/month eventually if fuel prices remain high. If they abate somewhat and no traditional summer price hikes, I would say 7,000-10,000/month. At start though, I would think the Fiesta will be very hot car as it's arguably the best looking of the B cars and has exceptional interior design and room for its size. It's all going to depend upon what fuel is priced at when it hits dealerships. Ford does not have crystal ball and hard to say what fuel prices will be in 2010. Ford just needs to have well rounded vehicle lineup so it can take advantage of wherever the market is going. The Fiesta will help make Ford strong in another segment where it has nothing right now. Can't hurt.

Btw, I saw the Fiesta 4 door sedan on street today with camo and at least two sitting in Livonia Trans parking lot. The vehicle looks bigger than Yaris and Fit and sure doesn't look like clown car.

Fiesta will sell based on its own merits, but people need to get out of their Ford bubble on this, they're setting themselves up for dissapointment. It doesn't represent a threat to most of its competitors, it doesn't offer the spaciosness of the Versa (go sit in one before replying), the utility of the Fit (again, people clearly aren't buying it over the others based on looks), or the excellent price-FE savings ratio of the Yaris. People avoid each of the other b cars for a reason - very few people are cross shopping in this segment. They've their head set on something already.

It cannot be called a savior either for Ford. Once the 2010 Focus is revealed, Fiesta will offer just a marginal improvement when it comes to FE. Just look at the Civic and Fit to see what I'm talking about.

I just expect it to do well, again, based on its own merits, but it won't be "killing" the competition, nor will it "save the company" or anything like that, as is commented here almost 24/7.

Fiesta will sell based on its own merits, but people need to get out of their Ford bubble on this, they're setting themselves up for dissapointment. It doesn't represent a threat to most of its competitors, it doesn't offer the spaciosness of the Versa (go sit in one before replying), the utility of the Fit (again, people clearly aren't buying it over the others based on looks), or the excellent price-FE savings ratio of the Yaris. People avoid each of the other b cars for a reason - very few people are cross shopping in this segment. They've their head set on something already.

It cannot be called a savior either for Ford. Once the 2010 Focus is revealed, Fiesta will offer just a marginal improvement when it comes to FE. Just look at the Civic and Fit to see what I'm talking about.

I just expect it to do well, again, based on its own merits, but it won't be "killing" the competition, nor will it "save the company" or anything like that, as is commented here almost 24/7.

1) No, it won't be as roomy as a Versa. Of course, the Versa technically isn't even a B-car though. It's a compact, not a subcompact, based on EPA interior volume.

2) Have you had a chance to pack things into a Fiesta to compare its "utility" against the Fit?

3) Do you know the fuel economy ratings and pricing of the Fiesta in order to compare it to those of the Yaris?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't see how one could say you are right either since a lot of things aren't even known about the Fiesta yet.

Fiesta needs to be hit in the US from day number 1 ! It will be the bellwether to the consumer of the long term viability of the company, which many are now questioning.

I have high confidence in the styling, engineering and manufacturing of the vehicle. I think the key issue will be pricing. It has to be high enough for Ford to make a reasonable profit (even on the base model), but low enough not to scare away customers, especially "converts". The Koreans have snapped up market share simple on pricing. It is going to be difficult to get those customers.

Well, its true that we don't know what the fuel economy of the Fiesta will be, but, there are a few things that we do know. Its coming with a 1.6L I-4 at intro. Its coming with either a conventional tranny or a DSG that will have more ratios than the existing Focus has. Its lighter than the existing Focus. With all of that in mind, I suspect that the Fiesta will offer a marginal fuel economy improvement over the existing Focus, mainly in the city mpg department more than the highway department.

Judging from the Fit-Civic and Yaris-Corolla comparissons, it looks like the B-cars don't offer any significant fuel savings over their C-car lot mates. Judging from the mpg numbers, I'd be hard pressed to buy the Fit over the Civic LX or the Yaris over the Corolla LE. Especially given the pricing of the B cars in relation to the C cars. I hope that the Fiesta has more going for it, or, its not going to compete well even with cars on the same lot. While I think its a good looking car, I don't find it gorgeous. And, if people are buying the current Focus, well, it proves how little taste people really have when they purchase a vehicle in that segment anyway.

Well, its true that we don't know what the fuel economy of the Fiesta will be, but, there are a few things that we do know. Its coming with a 1.6L I-4 at intro. Its coming with either a conventional tranny or a DSG that will have more ratios than the existing Focus has. Its lighter than the existing Focus. With all of that in mind, I suspect that the Fiesta will offer a marginal fuel economy improvement over the existing Focus, mainly in the city mpg department more than the highway department.

Judging from the Fit-Civic and Yaris-Corolla comparissons, it looks like the B-cars don't offer any significant fuel savings over their C-car lot mates. Judging from the mpg numbers, I'd be hard pressed to buy the Fit over the Civic LX or the Yaris over the Corolla LE. Especially given the pricing of the B cars in relation to the C cars. I hope that the Fiesta has more going for it, or, its not going to compete well even with cars on the same lot. While I think its a good looking car, I don't find it gorgeous. And, if people are buying the current Focus, well, it proves how little taste people really have when they purchase a vehicle in that segment anyway.

prediction...it will outsell the focus.....

It MIGHT.....MIGHT outsell the current Focus. In order to do that though, it would basically need to completely cannibalize Focus sales. The Fiesta isn't going to sell 15,000+ units a month. I wouldn't say it has a prayer of outselling the next one if it takes any cues from the Fiesta in its level of improvement.

Edited by NickF1011

It MIGHT.....MIGHT outsell the current Focus. In order to do that though, it would basically need to completely cannibalize Focus sales. The Fiesta isn't going to sell 15,000+ units a month. I wouldn't say it has a prayer of outselling the next one if it takes any cues from the Fiesta in its level of improvement.

the word that may sway the last part of your post........pricing.....if, as i beleive the Fiesta will slot in close to the current Focus, and the next Focus iteration moves UP the scales as i beleive it will then it will be interesting for sure...makes me wonder what will happen to the Fusion when the focus slots in at the same basic $....

the word that may sway the last part of your post........pricing.....if, as i beleive the Fiesta will slot in close to the current Focus, and the next Focus iteration moves UP the scales as i beleive it will then it will be interesting for sure...makes me wonder what will happen to the Fusion when the focus slots in at the same basic $....

I'd say the Fiesta might overlap the lower-middle end of the Focus line, but I doubt we're going to be seeing any $21,000 Fiestas right off the bat.

I'd say the Fiesta might overlap the lower-middle end of the Focus line, but I doubt we're going to be seeing any $21,000 Fiestas right off the bat.

agreed....maybe top of the line sports model, but i would think 21k would be the absolute vista roof limit....

My bet is 100,000 or so per year. If they add the 3-door and performance versions, I could see that climbing to 120-130k. If gas prices head further north, I could see that approaching 150-180k.

The 2011 Focus is really more the make or break model for Ford. The Fiesta's segment is still niche, ultimately.

Thought I would throw in my 2 pennies here....

If the NA Fiesta loses any of the great design attributes it shares with its european counterpart, then I would expect low numbers.

If it the final product is just as visually stunning as the concept and the euro Fiesta, it will be 1987 all over again when Ford struck gold with the Taurus.

There is a little predicament here with the Fiesta Vs. Focus pricing. Will people still buy the Fiesta if it cost more than the Focus?

Thought I would throw in my 2 pennies here....

If the NA Fiesta loses any of the great design attributes it shares with its european counterpart, then I would expect low numbers.

If it the final product is just as visually stunning as the concept and the euro Fiesta, it will be 1987 all over again when Ford struck gold with the Taurus.

There is a little predicament here with the Fiesta Vs. Focus pricing. Will people still buy the Fiesta if it cost more than the Focus?

would you rather have dinner with Ashley Judd or Rosanne Barr if the bill was the same?

would you rather have dinner with Ashley Judd or Rosanne Barr if the bill was the same?

Any allergies, Ashley? Have some medeira, m'dear — it really is an excellent year :)

The Fiesta sure raises the bar for the next Focus — that's the really important point. Good, too, because the next Focus launch could coincide with that of the next Civic.

Edited by Edstock

Since at the start anyway one whole plant will be devoted to the 4 door Fiesta sedan and 3 door hatch, I would think Ford should be able to sell 10,000-15,000/month eventually if fuel prices remain high. If they abate somewhat and no traditional summer price hikes, I would say 7,000-10,000/month. At start though, I would think the Fiesta will be very hot car as it's arguably the best looking of the B cars and has exceptional interior design and room for its size. It's all going to depend upon what fuel is priced at when it hits dealerships. Ford does not have crystal ball and hard to say what fuel prices will be in 2010. Ford just needs to have well rounded vehicle lineup so it can take advantage of wherever the market is going. The Fiesta will help make Ford strong in another segment where it has nothing right now. Can't hurt.

Btw, I saw the Fiesta 4 door sedan on street today with camo and at least two sitting in Livonia Trans parking lot. The vehicle looks bigger than Yaris and Fit and sure doesn't look like clown car.

But even the established Honda is not even breaking 10k. I agree that it will add people who will be loyal to Ford. But I don't think it will be selling 15k. Even now, that is almost the entire sub compact market. I doub it will convert many to that small of a car, nor will it steal ALL of Toyota's/Honda's small car buyers.

But yes it is an offering, and it is helping Ford solidify their portfolio.

I just don't see how any of you are expecting it to blow up the place, with +10k sales/mn, there isn't the demand there. It may get there, but that will be a gradual affair.

Really you think so? The Focus sells what on Average 18k or so a month? I don't think that the Fiesta will even get there for several years. If really ever. Americans aren't willing to trade down that low, for little if any MPG improvements. Styling alone won't get them to buy it.

Really you think so? The Focus sells what on Average 18k or so a month? I don't think that the Fiesta will even get there for several years. If really ever. Americans aren't willing to trade down that low, for little if any MPG improvements. Styling alone won't get them to buy it.

we shall see....starbux bet? within 6 months Fiesta will outsell current bodied Focii...that is unless they rebate the hell out of the Focus of course...due to lack luster sales....LOL!

we shall see....starbux bet? within 6 months Fiesta will outsell current bodied Focii...that is unless they rebate the hell out of the Focus of course...due to lack luster sales....LOL!

It's a deal.

I don't want to bet you direction. As basically it could be hamstringing Ford via canabalism. Plus it's a n unknown here in America, so good luck getting 15-18k/mn sales. On top of the Focus is doing better than ever.