Ford Flex Flopping

BORG

Flex sales for September were 1959.Not a good sign when a new model is seeing a decrease in sales. This is a nice vehicle.It just needs about $4k in rebates to make it people take e serious look at it.

Done. In my region, we have a $3,000 standard rebate, and $750 loyalty for owning a '95 or newer Ford. What color would you like?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Sad! I have not seeing any Flex (consumer purchased) on the road at all yet (New York City, Center jersey areas)! Seems the new Pilot are much easier for me to spot so far; they were on sale very close in time!

Strange, I've seen about a half dozen of them and I believe 2-3 are in the same town as me and I'm in Central Jersey...though I'll admit I've seen more Pilots it seems like

Ouch! Maybe 6k?

Typical. You say you want about $4,000 in rebates.

I tell you great! Not a problem.

You say no! I meant $6,000!

See this is what we "evil car salesman" have to deal with every day. And you say no haggle pricing would work. Sure.

The most crooked liar at the desk is the customer... 100% of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I live near Los Angeles, and to date I have seen 1 (count 'em, 1!) Flex on the road. I have seen a few at the dealerships, but it seems that the local dealers are not too keen on stocking them. I don't know what Ford was thinking with this vehicle. Chrysler tried the exact same thing in the Pacifica, and it flopped. Mercedes is trying it in the R Class. Flopping as we speak. Japanese are too smart for this nonsense. Yes, the MKT seems to be doing a little better, but I just don't think there is a market for an expensive car-like CUV.

I live near Los Angeles, and to date I have seen 1 (count 'em, 1!) Flex on the road. I have seen a few at the dealerships, but it seems that the local dealers are not too keen on stocking them. I don't know what Ford was thinking with this vehicle. Chrysler tried the exact same thing in the Pacifica, and it flopped. Mercedes is trying it in the R Class. Flopping as we speak. Japanese are too smart for this nonsense. Yes, the MKT seems to be doing a little better, but I just don't think there is a market for an expensive car-like CUV.

I live in SoCal also. I go by my Ford dealer regualarly and the number of Flex seems to change regularly. I think they are selling, just not like the proverbial hotcakes. But NOTHING is really selling. The lower gas prices might help.

Edited by DUCKRACER

Strange, I've seen about a half dozen of them and I believe 2-3 are in the same town as me and I'm in Central Jersey...though I'll admit I've seen more Pilots it seems like

Finally saw and followed my first Flex in white yesterday! Woodbridge area. Still easier to see Pilots. The GMC Acadia seems quite popular, many parked in their driveways in my area in fall 08. One family even got "two".

Edited by LoveTaurus

• 2 weeks later...

What an exciting 8 pages about the Flex. I too have yet to see one on a dealer's lot or on the road. I live near Allentowm Bethelehm and Easton, Pa. this area has many townships and over 660,000 people. There are Ford dealers all over the place, and not a single Flex. If the buying public was hot for something like this, it should be selling. My personal taste finds the vehicle to be quite ugly. I know that Ford killed off the van business when they screwed with the Windstar and re-named it. BFD! Of course, they could have really developed a mini-van to topp all others, but instead they chose a huge box. Yuk :poke: :banghead::violin: :slap: :blah: :ohsnap: :beatdeadhorse:

What an exciting 8 pages about the Flex. I too have yet to see one on a dealer's lot or on the road. I live near Allentowm Bethelehm and Easton, Pa. this area has many townships and over 660,000 people. There are Ford dealers all over the place, and not a single Flex. If the buying public was hot for something like this, it should be selling. My personal taste finds the vehicle to be quite ugly. I know that Ford killed off the van business when they screwed with the Windstar and re-named it. BFD! Of course, they could have really developed a mini-van to topp all others, but instead they chose a huge box. Yuk :poke: :banghead::violin: :slap: :blah: :ohsnap: :beatdeadhorse:

Redlands Ford has had 7 or 8 on ther lot for about 3 mo. I think they sell a few every month, but nothing is really selling in big volumes.

I think you may be missing the point. The Flex can tow 4,500 lbs. People who want better mileage than their Expedition/Yukon/Escalade, yet want room for the family are what I think the Flex is for. Yet the marketing doesn't reflect this. Ford needs to have ads showing mom, dad, the kids and the dog piling into a flex towing a ski boat.

• 3 weeks later...
Typical. You say you want about $4,000 in rebates.

I tell you great! Not a problem.

You say no! I meant $6,000!

See this is what we "evil car salesman" have to deal with every day. And you say no haggle pricing would work. Sure.

He was saying "maybe 4k will get customers in", so when you tell him 4k is already available, he's basically saying "Huh... maybe it needs EVEN MORE off!" I think it's fairly obvious he was not making an offer to buy at 4k off MSRP...

And like I've said before -- this problem is a result of a system where every customer goes in expecting to be ripped off, because every car's price tag is padded with thousands of dollars in pure profit. You don't add any value -- most people would rather buy cars from a vending machine. They don't trust you, you don't trust them. And with attitudes like yours, I can't see that changing.

Didn't like the way the seats folded? :headscratch:

Yeah, that's an odd one. The center row folds extremely easily (by pushing a button). The back is a little different, but easy once you do it once or twice.

If you don't tow or off-road, the Flex is SUPERIOR to the Explorer in all ways...except possibly rebates. The Explorer just feels old and "clunky" compared to the Flex.

What she needed was a totally flat floor. She hauls a large dog crate as she shows dogs. The stepdown was the problem. Better suited for moving passengers. Can't blame Ford for the design.

The Explorer floor was a better suit to her needs. The dealer did give her a great deal on the car.

Does anyone know if the second row bench moves for and aft? I ask because I test drove an SE today and was very impressed but could not get the second row to move - huge space for second row passengers and I wanted to move the seat forward to increase third row legroom but couldn`t find out how (nor could the salesman). Is it possible?

Does anyone know if the second row bench moves for and aft? I ask because I test drove an SE today and was very impressed but could not get the second row to move - huge space for second row passengers and I wanted to move the seat forward to increase third row legroom but couldn`t find out how (nor could the salesman). Is it possible?

The 2nd row does move. I'm not sure if it is available on all trim levels or if it requires a certain configuration though.