09 F150 power numbers

chevys

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine that the driving experience of the '09 5.4 F150 will be worlds better than the '08's. The truck should not feel sluggish anymore, and people should stop complaining that the engine does not feel like it has 300hp and 365lb ft of torque.

After owning a 2V & 3V 5.4L, I'd have to say it's always felt like it produced the lb-ft (350 2V & 365 3V), but they do feel a little short on the hp side once your get over 2500-2750 rpms. I know the 4spd trans bogs down once you hit 2nd, which is a big complaint.

Oh, it'll be available on the Silverado along with the 6.0 for the 09 Model. I stand corrected.

From my understanding, the 6.2L will only be available on Silvy 1500 CrewCab models for '09.

here you go for my source. The 6spd auto is also an option, not standard, and initially only in CrewCab form. Dislike the fact that the 6.2L and 6spd trans will only have the 3.42 gears.

The Silvy 5.3L 6spd crew, just like the F150 5.4L will bring home 14/20 mpgs.

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/2009/chev...el-economy.html

transmission BAH!

the sluggishness of the 5.4 is always been from the electronic throttle, not the tranny.

Ask anyone with an F150 that has chipped it

Don't know if your response is in reference to my post prior to yours, but being I've owned an '02 F150 5.4L 2V & '06 F150 5.4L 3V I think I can speak on the sluggishness behalf.

Yes, the electronic throttle is one culprit, but not the complete issue. I had a tuner on my '02, haven't got one on the '06 yet, and yes it woke that 5.4L 2V right up. It did cure much of the throttle lag, but the increase in the rev limiter and firming of the shift points helped greatly.

And I frequent plenty of other Ford forums and read plenty of peoples experience on a 5.4L w/tuner. So I hear you, b ut there are other aspects than just the elec. throttle.

Wow, I remeber mentioning this like 2-3 months back.

Sure did. Amazing how these things come back around every so often.

Edited by V8-X

Looking at those numbers, I can't figure out why Ford even offers the 4.6 2V, unless they are going to put a substantial markup on the 3V.

They won't be. The 2V is going to away for 10 or 11 MY (can't remember which).

I've been out of the loop for a few months now so things may have been changed, but the eventual engine choices were to be the 3.7, the 4.4, the 4.6 3V, the 5.4 and the 6.2 (which last I heard was cancelled for the 150).

transmission BAH!

the sluggishness of the 5.4 is always been from the electronic throttle, not the tranny.

Ask anyone with an F150 that has chipped it

Yes it was, and it was easily tripped up to. I remember how annoying it was in my 06 until I bought a tuner. Man I should have held on to that truck.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Yes sir, Deputy Dog.

Hey... no base V6. Somehow I kept thinking there would be.

You may be thinking about next year(?) when the (I believe) 3.5EB is being added to the lineup.

They won't be. The 2V is going to away for 10 or 11 MY (can't remember which).

I've been out of the loop for a few months now so things may have been changed, but the eventual engine choices were to be the 3.7, the 4.4, the 4.6 3V, the 5.4 and the 6.2 (which last I heard was cancelled for the 150).

3.7? I thought that engine was supposed to be Lincoln exclusive and that the F-150 was to get the 3.5 EB? I'm not questioning you per se, but I'm just surprised...

I remember that one... I was thinking there'd be a NA V6 in there somewhere.

Apparently DearbornDerek has mentioned that too.

I'm 90% sure there will be a V6 in the F-150, I just think there won't be one for the 09 model year, or at least the beginning of it.

But reading the other F-150 thread, there seem to be a lot of speculation that it will be receiving the 3.7 as a base engine, which I thought was supposed to be exclusive to Lincoln. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Most probably the DI version of the 3.7L will be exclusive to Lincoln, and the regular 3.7L could be used on the Ford trucks. Personally, I dont see the reason to offer the 3.7L, when the 3.5L can achieve almost similar power. I'm not impressed with the 3.7L in the MKS, when competitors are pumping out over 290HP from their 3.7L. Its as, Ford should have jumped from 3.5L to 4.0L, rather than create this 3.7L which is sort of an odd step brother.

Most probably the DI version of the 3.7L will be exclusive to Lincoln, and the regular 3.7L could be used on the Ford trucks. Personally, I dont see the reason to offer the 3.7L, when the 3.5L can achieve almost similar power. I'm not impressed with the 3.7L in the MKS, when competitors are pumping out over 290HP from their 3.7L. Its as, Ford should have jumped from 3.5L to 4.0L, rather than create this 3.7L which is sort of an odd step brother.

Oh, ok, I didn't realize the difference. Thanks.

You know I just thought of something....I know the EcoBoost engines have probably been under development for a while; I assume the 3.7 was engineered before the 3.5 EB was completely finished (if it's even completely finished yet), as the 3.7 is already out. This of course is a completely theoretical situation, but maybe Ford didn't know final power numbers on the EB 3.5 when development of the 3.7 finished, and to make sure they didn't go over the EB engine's output (which they theoretically didn't know at the time), they kept the 3.7's output lower/close to the 3.5's output?

It may be a stupid idea because they would've likely had some sort of estimate to go off of, but it's just a thought, and I hope it made sense.

Another thought I had is maybe after the EB 3.5 is released, we'll see the 3.7 increase in power slightly to become a true "middle" engine (3.5 < 3.7 < EB 3.5) or to "bridge the gap" between the two engines.

But I do agree with you, what's the point of the 3.7 when you could get the same power out of a slightly modified 3.5.

Edited by rmc523

I'm 90% sure there will be a V6 in the F-150, I just think there won't be one for the 09 model year, or at least the beginning of it.

But reading the other F-150 thread, there seem to be a lot of speculation that it will be receiving the 3.7 as a base engine, which I thought was supposed to be exclusive to Lincoln. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

3.5, 3.7...Can't remember everything...It's for sure one or the other :hysterical:

3.5, 3.7...Can't remember everything...It's for sure one or the other :hysterical:

LOL, I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Why would the 3.5 get the most power and the ecoboost the least?

Sorry, the math teacher in me couldn't let it slide.

Those were supposed to be arrows, I knew that would happen...

I'm not impressed with the 3.7L in the MKS, when competitors are pumping out over 290HP from their 3.7L.

And I'm not impressed with the torque ratings of the import 3.5/3.7L engines either. They sacrifice low rpm torque for high rpm operation which increases max hp but not torque.

The MKS 3.7L has the same or better low end torque.