GM Fleet Dumping

If GM ends employee pricing this month (are they?), I predict GM sales will drop 50% or more this month. Is that good to pull your sales up like that for one month and pay like hell the next month. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Also with employee pricing for everyone, I would imagine GM offered even better deals to GM employees to keep them happy. As a customer, I would take it happily, but as good business strategy I don't understand it.

One of the biggest issues (hurdles) the Big 3 have to overcome is the fire sale (dump it all on fleets) mentality. It not only erodes residual/resale values, it also hurts brand perception. On top of that if GM off loaded a bunch of them on Hertz/Dollar/Enterprise they were sold at a pretty hefty discount, so I wouldn't be to quick to claim how much money GM made.

man, how long has GM be doing that with new malibu? if a few months be the fusion has more retail sales for the year lol..

i thought GM wantd to make that car the new savior? guess they just cant help themselves with the fleet stuff.. poor malibu and g6 owners... stuck in it until you done paying on it.

my terrible fusion, bought august 06.. paid 24k... i went and did a trade in thingy, i owe 2k above what i owe, after 2 years... not bad i suppose, probably be ahead or even by next year...

This article is the only thing I could find about Ford's September fleet sales. It doesn't say much other than "Fleet sales drop 29% in September". :shrug:

Thanks for the link. Hard to say if their true percentages went down as their truck sales (which made up the bulk of fleet sales) have dropped considerably. But makes for a great silver lining. :)

IIRC, Fleet central were quoting approximately 30% fleet sales for Fusion for MY2008

but maybe someone here could provide true numbers and the link?

Fleetcentral's most recent data for the 2008 model year (through May or June) provided the following information.

Rental Fleets

Fusion - 17.56%

Malibu - 25.83%

Total Fleet (Rental, Commercial, Govt)

Fusion - 32.1%

Malibu - 33.0%

The following needs to be pointed out.

Fusion is a 4+ year old design, while the Malibu is almost 1 year old.

The data above would include the 4th quarter of 2007 so it definitely includes sales of the old model of the Malibu for about 3 months.

Also, the spin on the GM boards is that GM still produces the Malibu "Classic", even today, so the are claiming that the 54% fleet number is being skewed by "Classic" production. Can anyone confirm whether or not that GM still produces the old version of the Malibu? If the YTD numbers for Malibu sales includes both the new and a classic version it would indicate to me that the new Malibu has been a sales disaster since the old as dirt Fusion hasn't been that far off from "total' Malibu sales until the past few months.

I know in years past that Fleetcentral would breakout classic sales from the new models sales but this year their is no distinction. This leads me to believe that the GM fanboys may be full of misinformation.

Keep in mind the crown for top producing automobile manufacturer will be awarded in just three months. GM started their assault on the title two months ago and now Toyota is responding in October with 0% financing on everything but Yaris.

Edited by jobu37

Also, the spin on the GM boards is that GM still produces the Malibu "Classic", even today, so the are claiming that the 54% fleet number is being skewed by "Classic" production. Can anyone confirm whether or not that GM still produces the old version of the Malibu?

Currently, the "Classic" is not listed on GM's Chevy Fleet Page. I'm not sure if that's a recent change or not.

Currently, the "Classic" is not listed on GM's Chevy Fleet Page. I'm not sure if that's a recent change or not.

Kinda ironic how all this talk about the Malibu and fleets is going on, and sure enough I show up to Hertz and there's a nice new 2009 Malibu waiting for me in my spot @ Hertz. As much as I rent cars, as well as my colleague (who's here every other week does), I can't remember once having a Fusion or Milan.

Anyhow the Malibu wasn't too bad. The doors are trimmed in plastics that don't feel well or conducive to resting your arm on, but overall it's not a bad car. It's a huge leapfrog for GM, but I have a hard time understanding those that feel the need to point out its superiority over the Fusion. The 4 cylinder I had was underpowered, the interior design is more modern than that of the Fusion's but the manner in which it is trimmed seemed mediocre to me, the handling wasn't very exciting but I did like the gauge setup and LEDs used to light the center console/door handle area.