Sterling Trucks Dropped

Daimler will shutter its commercial-vehicle plant in Portland, Oregon, in June 2010, when that factory's labor contract runs out. The North American truck division's headquarters will remain there.

That's going to hurt. Freightliner has been a fixture in Portland for years. Seems like everyone know at least one person that works there.

Looks like Daimler got 10 years, basically, out of their purchase of Ford's heavy duty line, and I wonder how many years worth of profits will disappear in paying to shutter that plant in St. Thomas, and eliminating those jobs.

Good question. It is interesting to note that 'Sterling' never enjoyed the same market share as Ford did.

Good question. It is interesting to note that 'Sterling' never enjoyed the same market share as Ford did.

Amen- Not even close. Plus to make matters worse, they gave the franchise to existing Freightliner dealers- thus a recipe for disaster- fewer sales spread over more dealers!

This though represents a good opportunity for Ford. the bulk of the sterling dealers still carry the Ford flag. they will be deparate for product. With the no compete gone, Ford can jump back in -and hopefully in an intelligent manner- by beefing up class 6, 7 and baby 8 offerings- the true no frill vocational markets- forget about cklass 8 OTR sleepers- stick with what was their market niche.

One minor detail- sort out the manufacturing issue ASAP to get dealer confidance levels up. Bluediamond is gone in a year- either pick a partner or bring 'em back to KTP!

I am more upset about Sterling closing than the prospect of 'Blue Diamond' coming to an end. In addition to all those who will loose their jobs, the Sterling trucks were very much still Ford. Looked like Ford, drove like Ford, and full of Ford parts. Can't say that about those amorphodite F-650's and 750's. Only thing on them Ford was the cab. Oh, and the junk Motorcraft batteries. I am hearing the Esobedo plant will build International Prostar export models when 'Blue Diamond' ends. I think if Ford really wanted to stay in medium duty and return to heavy duty, they would have bought Sterling back. Wonder why they didn't.

I can't believe it! Didn't they just celebrate their 250,000th unit sales milestone? Even though I can't understand how 12,000 units a year times 10 yrs. equals 250,000! Unfortunately I don't think Ford has the same amount ($300 million) kickin' around to buy it back. The funny thing here is that it seems every other heavy around New England is a Sterling! Bob R. will attest to that!

The North American truck division's headquarters will remain there.

There is something absurdly funny about that. :)

It won't be there for long. They moved 350 white collar jobs from Portland to South Carolina a year or so ago (tax breaks, and proximity to customers and suppliers). Just a matter of time before the remaining Portland employees are asked to transfer to SC or lose their jobs.

Edited by richardmayo

You mean the tractor line (new holland) that's the largest in the world now??

Ol Henry must of rolled in his grave when they sold that off, bastards.

Deere is the largest.

NH is massive though, and makes much better products.

But they are only so huge by association with Case and Styr

-Bias though- I worked for Case-New Holland for 2 years

Edited by MERKURXR4Ti

I can't believe it! Didn't they just celebrate their 250,000th unit sales milestone? Even though I can't understand how 12,000 units a year times 10 yrs. equals 250,000! Unfortunately I don't think Ford has the same amount ($300 million) kickin' around to buy it back. The funny thing here is that it seems every other heavy around New England is a Sterling! Bob R. will attest to that!

Joe, Does seem that way right but just look at the sales stats and they suck. I have some back issues of Heavy Duty Trucking and I have gone back to the late 80's early 90's. the ford numbers back then were easily twice the Sterling numbers of today. And the bottom line, in this age of "synergism" how do you justify a product line that had significant overlap. I think when they re-did the Business Class (M2) that was the real nail in the Sterling coffin.

Joe, Does seem that way right but just look at the sales stats and they suck. I have some back issues of Heavy Duty Trucking and I have gone back to the late 80's early 90's. the ford numbers back then were easily twice the Sterling numbers of today. And the bottom line, in this age of "synergism" how do you justify a product line that had significant overlap. I think when they re-did the Business Class (M2) that was the real nail in the Sterling coffin.

It's true, Sterling never caught on. What was funny was that the reason Freightliner bought Ford's heavy truck line was supposed to be to expand in the vocational markets, but what seemed to happen (at least in my area) was that Sterling was only successful in regional hauling, delivery, and LTL markets. International saw the opportunity and push hard in vocational.

I just saw a Dodge 1 Ton with a different grille and Sterling nameplate. Pittsburgh had a Ford Truck only dealer for years. When Ford sold out the big truck line they converted to Ford/Sterling. I wonder if Ford will seriously consider moving back into big trucks.

those are class 4 & 5 Ram chassis cabs in exchange for Dodge continuing to sell the Sprinter.

I think it was a ploy to eliminate Ford as a contender in heavy trucks and to eliminate some competition. But to spread it out over 10 years was a little elaborate. Those Germans aren't stupid. But how can they justify keeping Western Star? I don't care what price they're getting for WS, the small volume can't generate anywhere near the Sterling profit! I don't get it.

I think it was a ploy to eliminate Ford as a contender in heavy trucks and to eliminate some competition. But to spread it out over 10 years was a little elaborate. Those Germans aren't stupid. But how can they justify keeping Western Star? I don't care what price they're getting for WS, the small volume can't generate anywhere near the Sterling profit! I don't get it.

That might go back to what I have said all along: There is no money in low-bid fleet sales. Almost all of Sterling's sales went to fleets, almost none of Western Star's sales go to fleets. Western Star is an expensive premium truck.

IMHO the market for Class 8 trucks will be getting smaller. While it wouid be great to see some giant 9000's, IMHO, Ford should concentrate on being first with heavy 500-700 local delivery hybrids and electric/fuel cell trucks. Leave the class 8 to M-B and Volvo Truck and Renault and whoever to fight over.

IMHO the market for Class 8 trucks will be getting smaller. While it wouid be great to see some giant 9000's, IMHO, Ford should concentrate on being first with heavy 500-700 local delivery hybrids and electric/fuel cell trucks. Leave the class 8 to M-B and Volvo Truck and Renault and whoever to fight over.

Agreed- forget OTR tractors. That market will shrink. One reason Cat is bailing out of heavy truck engines is they in fact see a declining market. Double stack rail will grow big time.

As for hybids, don't forget the hydraulic assist issue. I thought Ford was leading in that but have not read anything about it lately-from Ford that is.

I just saw a Dodge 1 Ton with a different grille and Sterling nameplate. Pittsburgh had a Ford Truck only dealer for years. When Ford sold out the big truck line they converted to Ford/Sterling. I wonder if Ford will seriously consider moving back into big trucks.

Yeah, I've seen one of those, didn't that thing just come out a few weeks (or months?) ago too?

Edited by rmc523