Stretched 2012 Taurus Interceptor?

joihan777

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update the current Panther with the 3.5 EB or 4.6 .3 valve or 5.0 and a 6 speed and it will last another 10 years. It's still the most dependable cop car out there, hands down.

AWD is great for the snow belt, but down south it would be useless, as it just adds weight and reduces your fuel economy.

I thought a few years back, if they added a 6" stretch to the DEW (Lincoln LS) platform it would of been a good replacement for the panther.

My two cent.

Update the current Panther with the 3.5 EB or 4.6 .3 valve or 5.0 and a 6 speed and it will last another 10 years. It's still the most dependable cop car out there, hands down.

AWD is great for the snow belt, but down south it would be useless, as it just adds weight and reduces your fuel economy.

I thought a few years back, if they added a 6" stretch to the DEW (Lincoln LS) platform it would of been a good replacement for the panther.

My two cent.

Another 10 years? Just how far into the ground does the Panther Mafia want to ride this thing? It's woefully outdated as it is, and you want it to go about for another decade with nothing more than powertrain updates?

Why would a stretch be needed any way? It would add weight and reduce manuverability. Also would add cost and complexity.

I was wondering the same thing, Isn't the Taurus already as big inside as the Crown Vic? With the EB it would certainly be more powerful. I do think some police departments might be concerned about the long term durability of the turbo. Police cars take a hell of a beating in daily use/abuse with long periods idling and round the clock driving.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

The Taurus is ready to be an interceptor right now as is. The 3.5L V6 is more than up to the task and their is just as much if not more interior room in a Taurus versus the current Crown Vic. Additionally the trunk on the Taurus is significantly larger and more practical than the Crown Vic's making it ideal for all the equipment that need to be stored in there. Also the Taurus has the flexibility of being offered in either FWD or AWD making it a viable vehicle for all regions. Reliability wise I don't see no issue here, the Taurus has proven to be an extremely quality and reliable vehicle with almost none or no issues to speak of. Anyways the Impala is used widespread were I live and it seems to have done the precincts well, although they have discovered that once you get all the equipment in the Impalas that they get barely any better fuel economy over the Crown Vics.

There is no reason that the Taurus wouldn't make a viable replacement for the Crown Vic in interceptor duty, granted there would be some minor suspension changes among other things, but nothing too much.

The Taurus is NOT the same size as a CV, we had one after a CV and had to get rid of it because it was too small. Our town replaced their one cop car with a Chevy Impala.

The current Taurus is physically smaller exterior dimension wise compared to a Crown Vic, but the interior space and trunk space trump the Crown Vic. I don't know what you are talking about...are you talking about the pre-2008 Taurus? Additionally the Impala has a smaller interior and trunk compared to the current Taurus.

Another 10 years? Just how far into the ground does the Panther Mafia want to ride this thing? It's woefully outdated as it is, and you want it to go about for another decade with nothing more than powertrain updates?

Sharks have not evolved for thousands of years. If the design works, why change it?

Sharks have not evolved for thousands of years. If the design works, why change it?

Automobiles are not sharks. Every other automobile has evolved. A more valid comparison would be calling the Crown Victoria a Neanderthal in a world of Homo Sapiens.

Just look at sales of the Panthers over the years. Isn't it obvious that the design no longer "works"? Does the Taurus work any better? Apparently not. BUT...it is being redesigned to address that. What are the Panthers doing? Nothing but falling even further behind.

Edited by NickF1011

The current Taurus is physically smaller exterior dimension wise compared to a Crown Vic, but the interior space and trunk space trump the Crown Vic. I don't know what you are talking about...are you talking about the pre-2008 Taurus? Additionally the Impala has a smaller interior and trunk compared to the current Taurus.

Sorry that was confusing.. I meant my family had a Taurus and had to get rid of it because it was too small. Yes it was pre-2008 Taurus.

Then I went on to say that our town replaced one of the cop cars with an Impala over a CV.

the one dimension the Taurus is lacking in is hip room. Could be a problem for police belts.

Automobiles are not sharks. Every other automobile has evolved. A more valid comparison would be calling the Crown Victoria a Neanderthal in a world of Homo Sapiens.

Just look at sales of the Panthers over the years. Isn't it obvious that the design no longer "works"? Does the Taurus work any better? Apparently not. BUT...it is being redesigned to address that. What are the Panthers doing? Nothing but falling even further behind.

The Crown Vics work, and work very well! The vic doesn't need to be redesigned just to sell more cars to police and taxis. It sells its self on Quality and reliability. If Ford decides to make it available to the public again then we can talk redesign.

The Crown Vics work, and work very well! The vic doesn't need to be redesigned just to sell more cars to police and taxis. It sells its self on Quality and reliability. If Ford decides to make it available to the public again then we can talk redesign.

If you haven't noticed, the Crown Vic is losing fleet sales to police agencies and taxi fleets also. Even they are moving away from the Crown Vic and into competitors' vehicles. The share isn't deteriorating as quickly as it did on the retail side, but it isdeteriorating.

Chicago PD is switching to Chevy Tahoes. Ford can make a vehicle from Explorer and sell Stangs for pursuit. CV will be dead by 2012.

Hmmm, a police Stang..... that seems so unnatural [skin crawlingly so]!

Edit: Maybe Ford should just give the fleet business to GM. Lord knows GM's gotta make something!

Edited by joihan777

Chicago PD is switching to Chevy Tahoes. Ford can make a vehicle from Explorer and sell Stangs for pursuit. CV will be dead by 2012.

Doesn't Ford already make police package Explorers? And what about a Flex as an interceptor? Oh and i think the Mustang is just what is needed for highway patrol duty.

Police and their interceptors are comparable to soldiers and their rifles. They would sacrifice accuracy and performance any day for something familiar with proven reliability. Why do you think the US DOD still hasn't adopted a bull-pup rifle?