Ford Expects Profit, Electric Car By 2011

Make up their minds already. first they said they'll be profitable in 2009, then because of the economy they switched to 2010 which made since, now they're saying 2011. why not just shut the f... up and admit that doomsday is coming? Stop designing cars for a future you won't have.

Make up their minds already. first they said they'll be profitable in 2009, then because of the economy they switched to 2010 which made since, now they're saying 2011. why not just shut the f... up and admit that doomsday is coming? Stop designing cars for a future you won't have.

Stop designing cars for a future you don't have? Yeah. It would be a much better idea to just ride it out with their current models, right? :finger:

This is the same company that made a suprise profit the first quater of this year also...theres no telling what the Future will bring between now and then.

...Dooms day is coming and yet you're here posting on the message board of a fan site.

Well we have all been hearing "We are returning to Profit" almost every year for about 10 years already...

For 2001, Oh wait, 2004 we will post a profit, well now 2005, oh wait, next year 2006, Hmm no, lets trye 2008..hm no we can't, lets try 2009, then now it's 2011. It's such a tease actually. Thats like working up to the edge of orgasm, and suddenly STOP...then edging again and again and again, it gets to a point you wanna body slam the person, put them in a headlock and juts be done with it!

Darn lack of a search feature. :censored: I wanted to bring back our lively discussion last summer about Ford dumping the Think and the comments of those who thought that was a good idea.

I'm still neutral on that. Think could have done some good, but it could have also ended up being a distraction to the more important goal of re-establishing Ford's core product portfolio.

Well we have all been hearing "We are returning to Profit" almost every year for about 10 years already...

For 2001, Oh wait, 2004 we will post a profit, well now 2005, oh wait, next year 2006, Hmm no, lets trye 2008..hm no we can't, lets try 2009, then now it's 2011. It's such a tease actually. Thats like working up to the edge of orgasm, and suddenly STOP...then edging again and again and again, it gets to a point you wanna body slam the person, put them in a headlock and juts be done with it!

While I realize that, it doesn't take an Einstein to understand why this has all happened............. well, at least if you actually follow the industry, instead of reading headlines and thinking you know what is happening (like my Uncle, with politics and automaker talk at Thanksgiving................ at MY house................ eating MY food !!!! Sorry, another story for another time. :)

2009 was the timeframe based on the world before the economy went to shit. 2010 was the timeframe based on the world after fuel prices skyrocketed, but before the economy went to shit. 2011 is now the timeframe based on the world, as it is today.

I have a tendency to get annoyed at people who look at Ford profitability through blinders................... as if they are the only company on earth that is having problems right now, and there is nothing out of the ordinary going on anywhere else. It is Fords fault, those bastages !!!! They should have known that oil would double in 6 months, and the economy would completely crash right after that. What the hell is wrong with them??? I mean, we all know that automaker can completely change their product plans/production plans in the course of a few months.............. right??? (yes, that is sarcasm)

They should have known that oil would double in 6 months, and the economy would completely crash right after that. What the hell is wrong with them??? I mean, we all know that automaker can completely change their product plans/production plans in the course of a few months.............. right??? (yes, that is sarcasm)

The kicker is, when you look at the changes and adjustments Ford has made, you get the sense they DID know what was coming. Ecoboost, hybrids... even their infmaous pledge to increase SUV FE by 25% by 2005... They knew oil was going to spike. It just happened far sooner than anyone predicted and before they were sufficiently ready. Had it not happened until even just now, they would be seen as brilliant.

As for the economy crash - all signs began pointing to this a few years ago. Ford could be credited with foresight by attempting to make the Focus attractive and announcing the Fiesta. But then they do something stupid like the Flex and well, I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad...?

While I realize that, it doesn't take an Einstein to understand why this has all happened............. well, at least if you actually follow the industry, instead of reading headlines and thinking you know what is happening (like my Uncle, with politics and automaker talk at Thanksgiving................ at MY house................ eating MY food !!!! Sorry, another story for another time. :)

2009 was the timeframe based on the world before the economy went to shit. 2010 was the timeframe based on the world after fuel prices skyrocketed, but before the economy went to shit. 2011 is now the timeframe based on the world, as it is today.

I have a tendency to get annoyed at people who look at Ford profitability through blinders................... as if they are the only company on earth that is having problems right now, and there is nothing out of the ordinary going on anywhere else. It is Fords fault, those bastages !!!! They should have known that oil would double in 6 months, and the economy would completely crash right after that. What the hell is wrong with them??? I mean, we all know that automaker can completely change their product plans/production plans in the course of a few months.............. right??? (yes, that is sarcasm)

Good Post, I laugh at family references. Predictions are just that, nothing more. Looking at the background proves that. IIRC, The Think was from Norway originally and IMHO feel it was a good idea, it never caught on. Same thing for Bill's original plan for Hybrids. The economy is funny that way.

The kicker is, when you look at the changes and adjustments Ford has made, you get the sense they DID know what was coming. Ecoboost, hybrids... even their infmaous pledge to increase SUV FE by 25% by 2005... They knew oil was going to spike. It just happened far sooner than anyone predicted and before they were sufficiently ready. Had it not happened until even just now, they would be seen as brilliant.

As for the economy crash - all signs began pointing to this a few years ago. Ford could be credited with foresight by attempting to make the Focus attractive and announcing the Fiesta. But then they do something stupid like the Flex and well, I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad...?

give the Flex a break...sure is a more efficient ALTERNATIVE to the Expedition and seats seven.....and beleive it or not...IS getting more popular.....

Something stupid like the Flex? I don't get this. They had the architecture existing already. It was easy to build and it filled a niche. People seem to think that the Flex appeared at the expense of the Fiesta or a new Focus showing up sooner. That is simply not how it works.

Something stupid like the Flex? I don't get this. They had the architecture existing already. It was easy to build and it filled a niche. People seem to think that the Flex appeared at the expense of the Fiesta or a new Focus showing up sooner. That is simply not how it works.

yep, silly of Ford to come up with a 24 mpg 7 passenger....just plain stupid..... :shades:

yep, silly of Ford to come up with a 24 mpg 7 passenger....just plain stupid..... :shades:

I was referring to its intended positioning as a "premium" "aspirational" "stylish" vehicle (you know, all those reasons why it was going to be a smash-hit home run 6 months ago, more-efficient TX be damned and abandoned)....

It's the kind of vehicle that would have made more sense in 2005,6,7...

Look at my signature - I *like* the Flex. I would love to own one. But Ford totally blew the timing on the market demand for this kind of "premium aspirational vehicle". Of course, it was already in development and you gotta run what you brung, so it might not have been their fault, but still. The "Go-Go 'Naughts" weren't going to last forever. And really, 24mpg may not be *terrible* but it is certainly nothing spectacular either. Given the economy, people in the market for the as-advertised "7 seat crossover" might have found a TX more appealing and affordable for that function alone.

But since Ford never really advertised their other "24MPG 7-seat crossover" (or *27* MPG as Freestyle) we'll never know, will we? THAT is what was STUPID.

Edited by goingincirclez

Well it is ugly to some people :P :shades:

I like it but I have zero need for it, but I've been pushing my sister to get one when her lease is up on her Explorer, but she was parroting...it doesnt get good MPG...Seriously I wonder what is wrong with people, I told her after that it gets the same if not better MPG then a minivan or any other vehcile its size. It sure does better then her Explorer does with its V8. I wonder where people get that a 4000lb vechicle can get 30 mpg or whatever..

I was referring to its intended positioning as a "premium" "aspirational" "stylish" vehicle (you know, all those reasons why it was going to be a smash-hit home run 6 months ago, more-efficient TX be damned and abandoned)....

Look at my signature - I *like* the Flex. I would love to own one. But Ford totally blew the timing on the market demand for this kind of "premium aspirational vehicle". Of course, it was already in development and you gotta run what you brung, so it might not have been their fault, but still. The "Go-Go 'Naughts" weren't going to last forever. And really, 24mpg may not be *terrible* but it is certainly nothing spectacular either. Given the economy, people in the market for the as-advertised "7 seat crossover" might have found a TX more appealing and affordable for that function alone.

Ford did not blow the timing, no manufacturer fore saw this shambles....not one. And please, do load 7 passengers into both a Flex and X and compare the comfort...case closed...oh, and don't forget Flex sales of approx 2500 a month outstrips ANY month of X sales by probably 10 to 1......will be interesting when consumer confidence comes back...........

Well it is ugly to some people :P :shades:

I like it but I have zero need for it, but I've been pushing my sister to get one when her lease is up on her Explorer, but she was parroting...it doesnt get good MPG...Seriously I wonder what is wrong with people, I told her after that it gets the same if not better MPG then a minivan or any other vehcile its size. It sure does better then her Explorer does with its V8. I wonder where people get that a 4000lb vechicle can get 30 mpg or whatever..

watch her buy an import that actually gets les mileage......

It's not like people were lining up to buy the Taurus X or Freestyle before the Flex came out anyway. I don't look at the Flex so much as a "premium aspirational" vehicle as I look at it as "the vehicle the Freestyle should have been in the first place".

It's time Ford stopped offering bargain basement vehicles. As much as they look nice on sales charts ("Yay! We sold 20,000 Focuses at a loss on every single one!"), it's time for Ford to focus on transaction price per vehicle. To that end, I'm sure the Flex is already exceeding the Taurus X by a large margin.

If you hate the "premium aspirational" feeling the Flex conveys, you'll probably hate every new Ford vehicle coming out, as they are all expected to raise the bar considerably over their predecessors in relation to content and material quality. I don't think it's the wrong way to go at all. Ford needs to change its image, and that's not going to happen as long as they try to sell on nothing but bang-for-the-buck.

But since Ford never really advertised their other "24MPG 7-seat crossover" (or *27* MPG as Freestyle) we'll never know, will we? THAT is what was STUPID.

um, the 300 day old "freestyle"/ Taurus X on my frontline states 16/24......no amount of advertising could have helped that vehicle in my book, king of blandsville....like it or not, the Flex turns heads......and garners reactions NOT in tune with a yawn.....

Edited by Deanh

My old man would have her head! (Retired Ford employee)

Though my brother in law has a TL thats old as hell and I'm not sure when hes planning on replacing that.

I cannot wait till preconceived import bias becomes a thing of the past...Ford should re-edumacate people via ad campaigns....for once MENTION the competitors downfalls....death to polite advertising...THIS IS WAR!