Bush changes mind, may save auto giants

Link to article

Facing the potential bankruptcy of iconic American firms, President Bush on Friday abandoned his longstanding objection to using using the Wall Street bailout fund to help save G.M., Ford and Chrysler.

A frustrated Republican congressional official said: "If only they had said this last week, we could have saved ourselves a full week."

Ten hours after the Senate rejected a separate lifeline for the automakers, White House Press Secretary Dana Perino said in a statement it would be "irresponsible" to let the companies crash. So she said Bush will "consider other options," including the $700 billion Troubled Assets Relief Program that Congress created for the Treasury Department in October.

"Under normal economic conditions we would prefer that markets determine the ultimate fate of private firms," Perino said in a statement. "However, given the current weakened state of the U.S. economy, we will consider other options if necessary – including use of the TARP program — to prevent a collapse of troubled automakers. A precipitous collapse of this industry would have a severe impact on our economy, and it would be irresponsible to further weaken and destabilize our economy at this time."

Depending on how he Voted, they could have this taken care of last night :rolleyes:

I see it differently.

The TARP funds come with NO STRINGS ATTACHED.

As far as I am concerned, that is the Big 3's one (and only) chance. They get one, and no more.

(No, I'm not naive enough to think the Dems will not provide the funds, but they'll add so many caviats, it'll truly result in failure, and evermore funding.)

Ironically, I'd bet that many autoworkers (out of a pure sense of entitlement) will still s#!^ on Bush for it.

Another case of "you blink first....... no you blink first" They are trying to squeeze every last option out of the 3 before handing over the money.

I'm totally disgusted with the american government.

They did the same thing when they did the bail out for the banks, except that more fear mongering was used to pass it because the Stock Market went down 500 points or something the next day.

Credit markets are still fucked and the auto manufactures are prob going to be still fucked after everything is said and done.

I see it differently.

The TARP funds come with NO STRINGS ATTACHED.

As far as I am concerned, that is the Big 3's one (and only) chance. They get one, and no more.

(No, I'm not naive enough to think the Dems will not provide the funds, but they'll add so many caviats, it'll truly result in failure, and evermore funding.)

Ironically, I'd bet that many autoworkers (out of a pure sense of entitlement) will still s#!^ on Bush for it.

I hope that is correct. No strings attached. I don't want Eco Nazis telling detroit what to build. But like what theoldwizard said, don't bet on it.

Don't bet on that !

My gut tells me different. Chrysler/Cerberus will not be able to meet what ever requirements are on the table. The loan will be just enough to get GM to the inauguration. Chrysler will go Chapter 7.

Your full of shit!!!! Bush wants to preserve his legacy he will not allow them to go under...

And he only did it at last resort. The new Congress comes in Jan 6 and will pass a bill then with Veto proof majorities if not then come jan 21 they will pass it with ease and Obama will sign it either way no one is going bankrupt!!!!!!!! Dems will have a veto proof majority in the House and 58 senate seats. 7 new dems are coming in to replace 7 REPUBS that voted no on this bill so right there is 59 votes plus obama's seat and bidens seat =61 add on the other 10 repubs who voted yes and we get over 70 votes.

GOP is finished they better look what happened between 1954-1994 cause its gonna happen again!!

Your full of shit!!!! Bush wants to preserve his legacy he will not allow them to go under...

And he only did it at last resort. The new Congress comes in Jan 6 and will pass a bill then with Veto proof majorities if not then come jan 21 they will pass it with ease and Obama will sign it either way no one is going bankrupt!!!!!!!! Dems will have a veto proof majority in the House and 58 senate seats. 7 new dems are coming in to replace 7 REPUBS that voted no on this bill so right there is 59 votes plus obama's seat and bidens seat =61 add on the other 10 repubs who voted yes and we get over 70 votes.

GOP is finished they better look what happened between 1954-1994 cause its gonna happen again!!

:hysterical: