better than lexus

I, for one, don't understand the need for this feature for two reasons:

1. In the 30 years I've been driving, I've had to parallel park maybe three times (and one of those was on the driving test)

I dont even think they make you do that anymore

2. Parallel parking isn't that hard

Neither is driving but if you spend 10 minutes on the road in California you would wonder how the hell some of these people got a license.

It was a stupid idea when Lexus added it. I wish Ford had spent the development money on something more useful.

It may be stupid but its a gadget, people like gadgets and they like to show off their gadgets. You have to keep up with the neighbors.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I can parallel park E-350 extended length cargo vans just using the side mirrors and a quick survey of the size of the space, my wife can't even parallel park the little 90s era civic coupe she used to drive. I can see where she'd be all over this feature if she had to work downtown. ITs a little more complex than just nav+rear parking sensors+EPS. You need the front distance sensor from adaptive cruise control, two more of the backup sensors surreptitiously hidden on the front corners, and the Emergency Brake Assist feature tuned so that it can do full brake application and a good link between whichever computer is controling the parkin assist (some systems have it in the nav system, others have it in a seperate box, still others have it integrated with an upgraded ABS system) and good links between that system and the transmission (reverse/1st shifting) and the electronic throttle control. Its not a very simple system at all, but, since most of thoses systems are already there on luxury cars, it makes it cost effective. We might see this trickle down to the Taurus at some point since the 2010 will likely have most of the hardpoints already in place to mount the various bits needed by the system. If they choose to offer it on the MKX, it could wind up on the Edge. And, also, the MkZ-Milan-Fusion connection. I can't possibly see it winding up on anything cheaper than a Fusion SEL in the next half decade at Ford.

Emergency Brake Assist feature tuned so that it can do full brake application and a good link between whichever computer is controling the parkin assist (some systems have it in the nav system, others have it in a seperate box, still others have it integrated with an upgraded ABS system) and good links between that system and the transmission (reverse/1st shifting) and the electronic throttle control.

You work the brakes, gas, and shift lever yourself with the Ford system. All it does is steer.

You work the brakes, gas, and shift lever yourself with the Ford system. All it does is steer.

it says some where in the article there is an emergency brake system that will apply the brakes to prevent an accident should you forget

"p.s. - Putting a system like this on a turd is equal to polishing it. Its still a turd. The MKT and MKS are crap. If you have to buy an American "luxury" car, you obviously go Cadillac. Lincoln is nothing more than a rebadged mercury - at best."

from autoblog responses, what a tool. i must have fallen asleep for 8 months because i didnt even know the mkt was out yet

it says some where in the article there is an emergency brake system that will apply the brakes to prevent an accident should you forget

"p.s. - Putting a system like this on a turd is equal to polishing it. Its still a turd. The MKT and MKS are crap. If you have to buy an American "luxury" car, you obviously go Cadillac. Lincoln is nothing more than a rebadged mercury - at best."

from autoblog responses, what a tool. i must have fallen asleep for 8 months because i didnt even know the mkt was out yet

last I looked was lincoln actually doing relitively well in comparison with cadillac?

BTW, a massive :hysterical: to Lexus & Toyota.

Their system is CAMERA based? You MUST be kidding me. No wonder it's lousy. Here I thought they were using the car's adaptive cruise control & rear parking assist.... CAMERA BASED? ZOMG...... :hysterical:

Ford's fault is that it's system requires you to start the process before you pass the parking spot. You are required to drive past the parking spot for the system to measure the space before you can back into it.

Ford turn's it around by saying that the system has the benefit of being able to find an adequate space for you.

Toyota requires the cost of the Camera, etc. The Ford system just needs the software added to other options.

I can understand the age/mobility issue with parallel parking, but not the alleged difficulty of it.

Although I will say that parallel parking on the 'wrong' side of a one-way street is a particularly interesting experience. Sort of like changing the second pair of shoes on drum brakes.

The difficulty depends on hair color and sex.

I see this more as a way of making your car a status symbol. Car people might not want it in their car, but a computer geak will. I don't think GM has anything like this, do they? Could hurt Cadillac.

How about BMW and Benz? Ford could license it to Jag and Land Rover. Make some money.

The difficulty depends on hair color and sex.

I see this more as a way of making your car a status symbol. Car people might not want it in their car, but a computer geak will. I don't think GM has anything like this, do they? Could hurt Cadillac.

How about BMW and Benz? Ford could license it to Jag and Land Rover. Make some money.

I'm a computer geek. I have no use for this sort of thing. Of course, most computer geeks probably don't prefer manual transmissions either. :)

Ford's fault is that it's system requires you to start the process before you pass the parking spot. You are required to drive past the parking spot for the system to measure the space before you can back into it.

I don't think that's a problem. You turn the system on, and then drive down a street looking for a parking spot. The system will let you know when it 'finds' one.

I don't know how long it will stay on before it turns off, but I would argue that this is a plus. The Lexus system requires (AFAIK) that you line up for the spot before you engage the system. With the MKT, turn it on and 'fuhgeddaboutit', it says, "Hey knucklehead--there's a spot" and then it parks the car for you.

My guess is that it will take a pass on a number of spots that a skilled parkist could easily park in, though.

BTW, how come no one's mentioned that the picture illustrating the story shows a 2010 MKT?

1. In the 30 years I've been driving, I've had to parallel park maybe three times (and one of those was on the driving test)

They don't require that anymore.

Ford turn's it around by saying that the system has the benefit of being able to find an adequate space for you.

Toyota requires the cost of the Camera, etc. The Ford system just needs the software added to other options.

I don't think that's a problem. You turn the system on, and then drive down a street looking for a parking spot. The system will let you know when it 'finds' one.

I don't know how long it will stay on before it turns off, but I would argue that this is a plus. The Lexus system requires (AFAIK) that you line up for the spot before you engage the system. With the MKT, turn it on and 'fuhgeddaboutit', it says, "Hey knucklehead--there's a spot" and then it parks the car for you.

My guess is that it will take a pass on a number of spots that a skilled parkist could easily park in, though.

BTW, how come no one's mentioned that the picture illustrating the story shows a 2010 MKT?

As RJ said, I think you turn it on and it'll tell you when you pass one. Also, as RJ said, I do think with Lexus you need to line up, then it determines if you'll fit, then continue.

Also, you mentioned how you'll have to drive past the space. Really you'd have to do that anyways to get into the space.

I guess I didn't really notice it at first.

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/fordactiv...=thumb1280x1280

But, looking at the picture, I'm going to say a few things now:

1) It appears the MKT will have a full (or close to full) glass roof, unlike Flex.

2) If you look very closely, you'll see the first and second glass roof panels do not line up completely - therefore leading me to believe that the entire front glass panel will open, ala MKX or Edge (pictured behind the open spot).

For you MANLY MEN who don't want to be become emasculated......don't use the feature!

You can still show off your parking prowess by doing it the old fashioned way. It's not like Power Windows where the handle is no longer there. :hysterical::hysterical:

But!!! The first time you bump/scratch parallel park your $45,000 Lincoln without using the assist, you'll hear about it from your spouse/significant other......forever!!!!!! LOL

I'm one of those guys who doesn't park next to anybody if I can help it (front, rear or side) because I don't like scratches. I haven't ll'd the Mustang in ages. Can I? Yes. But why?

Also, you mentioned how you'll have to drive past the space. Really you'd have to do that anyways to get into the space.

Really?

GEORGE: Me? You see what he did here, you see how he tried to sneak into my space?

MIKE: Hey, just 'cause I went in front first doesn't mean I'm sneaking in.

GEORGE: You only went in front first 'cause you saw me backing up and you didn't have room to parallel park!

MIKE: I only went in front first 'cause I could make it in front first and if you pull out I'll show you!

GEORGE: You haven't got a prayer.

KRAMER: I go in front first all the time.

JERRY: Front first, that's how you park when you're pulling a bank job.

http://www.seinology.com/scripts/script-39.shtml

I guess I'm showing my age....

I'm curious though, is that nationwide or depending on the state?

I don't know, but I didn't have to here in Florida. I thought about that after I posted it - I'm not sure if it's just statewide or if it's national.

That's funny, I watched that one last night.

I'm a computer geek. I have no use for this sort of thing. Of course, most computer geeks probably don't prefer manual transmissions either. :)

Your not supposed to use it. Just show off all the buttons and lights. You show off how smart your car is. It's like developing a computer that can think, but not caring about talking to it.

Video of Active Park Assist (didn't see this posted yet).

2 things I noticed from that video:

1) It was an EcoBoosted MKS - it had paddle shifters

2) The MKS (or at least the EB version) will be getting new guages next year - it had a 3 ring setup (like the new Fusion, without long binnacles like Taurus), rather than the current two ring with info in the middle.