What Automotive Features Do You Hate?

Apparently you have never seen a set of points Richard. What do think they did before electronic ignitions?

How old do you think I am? I changed the cap & rotor on my Tempo & Taurus. The Contour had electronic ignition.

That was back in the era when you actually had tune ups. Adjust the breaker points adjust the carb ( idle air screws and idle settings High and Low) gap the plugs check the coolant level ( over flow bottles were not used then) and top off the battery's electrolyte. Tune ups today in the traditional sense are a thing of the past. (thank christ)

I suppose that was also back when you might've been able to buy coffee at a gas station, but you wouldn't want to--and the men's room (at least) was outside.

Edited by RichardJensen

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Digital Speedos Dunno why, never liked them. Digital speedos mounted cyclopically on a monolithic, millennium falcon-inspired dash board with a Playstation 2 color-scheme. It's the only thing I don't like about the Civic Coupe.....well, the rims on the EX model are pretty lame, too.

I personally don't like the Civic dash at all.

Anouther is a separate stalk for the windshield wipers leave the damn things on the turn signal stalk where they belong. And leave the head lights on the dash. They are way easier to use on the dash than trying to fumble fuck with them on a stalk. Thanks Christ for auto lamps.

I too hate the stalk-mounted headlight switch.

- I'll pile on with the DRLs. Hate 'em.

- Seat belt tensioners that are triggered by normal on-ramp acceleration or leaving my driveway, and clamp me back in my seat so that all of a sudden, when I need it most, I can't lean forward to see around the enormous blind spot in my T-Bird. And yet when I get out of the car, they go limp so I end up slamming my door on the buckle. Nice.

- The thing that automatically drops the window an inch when you open the door and raises it again after you close - and which now malfunctions and drops the window halfway at random times. Ain't technology wonderful?

- Airbags. Sorry, I know I'll get flack for that one. But they're basically intended to cover the sorry asses of people who are too stupid or lazy to buckle up for themselves. And I don't like the idea of driving with an explosive charge a few inches from my face, or of something that might kill my 4'-11" wife who sits with the seat pulled all the way forward if she gets into a parking lot fender bender.

- The 6-disk CD changer that always jams. And not in a good way. I'd be happy with one CD at a time if it would work right.

- The "DSP" (digital signal processor) on my car stereo with the "concert hall", "jazz club", etc. settings (basically various stages of reverb), none of them remotely listenable. Right up there with the light organ as a must-have audio enhancement. How about spending that money on a few more watts and some decent speakers instead?

ColorOrgan7.jpg

But - speaking of light organs - nothing matches the crap from the 70s and 80s that someone (Edstock?) brought up a few posts back: the seatbelt interlocks, etc.

Edited by retro-man

How old do you think I am? I changed the cap & rotor on my Tempo & Taurus. The Contour had electronic ignition.

I suppose that was also back when you might've been able to buy coffee at a gas station, but you wouldn't want to--and the men's room (at least) was outside.

Age is no excuse Richard. If you are going to talk cars it is critcal to understand where stuff came from and how it evolved. It gives a person a much better understanding on why things are the way they are or were the way there were.

It is really good knowledge to have when you do things like compiling a worst vehicles list.

Hell I never owned a Model T but I understand the fundamentals of the planatary transmission they used and the individual coils for each plug. Now do the individual coils for each plug sound familier?

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

3. Also, why do some cars have power seat tilt/height & forward-rear but the seatback must be manual.... duh! Cheap!

4. Leather seats that aren't perforated.

5. Convertibles that come without integrated wind deflectors.

6. Car stereos that don't have USB ports for flash drives.

7. Cars that don't have homelink in their overhead consoles (the Sienna got that right)

BTW- The lights/signal/wipers & CC is just right on my Mustang.

3) At least it's better than nothing powered....but I do agree in some senses, like on a $40K+ Flex, although I assume the seatback/lumbar isn't powered b/c the seat folds flat

4) Unperforated leather wouldn't/doesn't really bother me that much

5) That can be annoying

6) Then you're basically counting out anything built before a few years ago.

7) Does Ford's HomeLink built into the sun visor work for you or does it HAVE TO be in the center overhead console?

It is really good knowledge to have when you do things like compiling a worst vehicles list.

I still consider the Granada to be a terrible car. I don't care how well it sold, it has most certainly not stood the test of time, and not just because the current pres. bashed it in a speech a year ago.

When your selling points start and pretty much end with "it looks like a Cadillac, but it isn't" or "it looks like a Mercedes, but it isn't", I'm sorry, but you're selling crap crap crap.

On my Elantra:

The front driver -- AND PASSENGER -- door locks unlock ALL doors, including the rear doors. There have been two instances in my short 4-year driving career where scary strangers reached to open my back door. Thank god I was watching my mirrors.... If it weren't for this stupid "feature", the back doors would be always locked.

Apart from that, I think the controls/features on my Elantra were well done. The Elantra key fob is the only one I've seen that I think is done right: Big lock button, tiny unlock button (i.e. safe option is easy, unsafe operation requires intent), and most critically, NO F*ING PANIC BUTTON! You know why they call it a panic button? Because you panic when you accidentally hit that F*ing button! I don't know one person who has ever used a panic button for safety purposes.

On the current Camry:

You should be able to easily feel where a climate control knob is pointing. Those stupid round knobs require you to take your eyes off the road to adjust. Hate it - especially since I'm always fine-tuning the temperature controls. (Though I suppose since I tend to bump it up or down a notch, it wouldn't be as big a problem for me as for others).

On Fords -- headlight switch on the dash. I think it's more convenient for it to be on a stalk.

3) At least it's better than nothing powered....but I do agree in some senses, like on a $40K+ Flex, although I assume the seatback/lumbar isn't powered b/c the seat folds flat

4) Unperforated leather wouldn't/doesn't really bother me that much

5) That can be annoying

6) Then you're basically counting out anything built before a few years ago.

7) Does Ford's HomeLink built into the sun visor work for you or does it HAVE TO be in the center overhead console?

3. Come on, any car I'd consider should have great power seats.. seatbacks too. That means every car not in the "basic" range.

4. Perforated leather seats. I used to think it wasn't a big deal, until I owned one without as my daily driver.

6. Aimin' high man, USB flash drives are inexpensive and darn useful.

Actually, Ford oughtta include a little 8GB one with the Blue Oval on it.... it'd be a heckuva conversation starter. :shades:

7. Got me there.. my stang didn't have it, I didn't know other models had it!

I dont like headlight switch on the stalk. Mainly because it's not lit at night, and you gotta reach and feel to see what position it's on. Many asian cars have it this way and I gotta play and feel to see if it's on, where it's on, etc. Then chances are they place the windshield wiper function on another stalk on the right, probably blocking the stereo functions or vents along the way.

Quite a few good items on this thread. Hope someone is paying attention.

Here's mine:

1. DRL (your headlight bulbs don't last as long), and by extension automatic headlights.

2. Keyless doors and hatch. (it's ok to ADD a keyless remote, but DON'T eliminate the keyhole on the door please)

3. Keys that are more than keys. If I want to get a new key, I want to go to Ace Hardware and pay $1.59 for it. If I want a keyless entry remote, I'll carry it on my keychain. I don't need a GI-NORMOUS key with integrated fob. (these new keys that aren't really keys, like the Chryco 300, are the spawn of the Devil)

4. Cars that make it virtually impossible to perform basic maintenance. (Oil filters that are impossible to reach. Engine covers on the BOTTOM of the car that have to be removed to drain the oil. Headlight bulbs that require removal of other parts to replace. and too many other things to list)

5. Things that are "options" that should be standard (Full-size spares and a real working jack. Floor mats.)

6. Dex-cool

7. Seatbelt chimes.

8. Automatic door locks.

9. Windows that don't roll down ALL THE WAY!

10. Cruise controls that don't have a decelerate feature (on Fords it's called "coast") I've never seen it on a GM car. By extension, cruise controls that "forget" their setting if you go below a certain speed. (My ranger remembers, why can't other cars?)

(Note: I keep adding things, because I keep coming up with other stuff)

Edited by RangerM

10. Cruise controls that don't have a decellerate feature (on Fords it's called "coast") I've never seen it on a GM car. By extension, cruise controls that "forget" their setting if you go below a certain speed. (My ranger remembers, why can't other cars?)

I know Cruise doesn't engauge on Fords till 35 MPH, maybe that has something to do with it.

I loath the cruise control on Toyata products...talk about a totally unintive way of setting speeds with it.

9. Windows that don't roll down ALL THE WAY!

I forgot about that one! Especially in sedans where it's the back windows that are "halfers," meaning they only go down half-way by design. Can't be a safety feature, cuz u could just put it down that far and hit the window lock.

On the current Camry:

.....Those stupid round knobs require you to take your eyes off the road to adjust. Hate it - especially since I'm always fine-tuning the temperature controls. (Though I suppose since I tend to bump it up or down a notch, it wouldn't be as big a problem for me as for others).

Wait until the flimsy wire on the back of the temp knob breaks. If it's like the Highlander, Toyota will try to charge you $585 + Labor (to replace the entire control unit), for what can be fixed in about 2 hours time (for the uninitiated) and $0.05 worth of solder.

Edited by RangerM

I really don't like sunroofs. I never open mine and the shade is always closed. The only feature they offer me is I have to duck my head more getting into the car. I test drove an 07 Mountaineer a few weeks ago and when I turned the first corner, there was a waterfall pouring down the door from behind the headliner.

I also hate auto transmissions that still upshift on there own when you manually put it in 1/2/etc.

I think the windows don't go down all the way because of the doors shape, the rear windows on the Model A don't go all the way down either and that's what I figured the reason was, the bottom of the door has to come in a little bit to make room for the rear wheel well.

Another thing that I find myself angry at are fender skirts, not really something one must worry about today, but on some older cars, they make it a HUGE pain in the butt to change a tire. Kind of a double edged sword, they make the car look much better (in some cases), but they can become a huge pain.

The place for the high/low beam switch, I miss the clicker on the floor, seems like they just keep piling more and more crap in the steering column, I can only imagine what that does to the cost of taking one of those apart to replace a $15.00 switch, plus I get tired of people laughing at me when I go to put the car in gear and I turn the wipers on, friggin Nissan.

Expensive plastic bumpers, just something to think about, sure they make the car look better, but I wonder if a nice looking metal bumper couldn't be incorporated in to a car design in the future, you know, made to look like it's supposed to be there.

These two have already been said but are worth repeating, not being able to get a 60/40 split front bench, I like my gf sitting next to me, right next to me. The other is not being able to unlock the doors by pulling on the door handle. I've often made fun my friends precious Hondas for not doing this, it makes him angry but I think it's dumb. Locks are to keep people on the outside from getting in, not to keep the people inside from getting out.

To go back to the stalks on the column again, how about some of the symbols they put on those, there are four stalks sticking out of the column and the only way to figure out what each of them does is to decipher some glyphs the Japanese left for me. "Hunny, what the hell does two triangles sitting next to a half moon mean?" At least the old GM turn signal/headlight dimmer/washer fluid/winshield wipers/cruise control switch HAD WORDS ON IT!

Glove boxes that are so small they are pretty much useless.

Super duper high pitched horns on trucks. What were they thinking? You build this huge super manly truck and put a wussy, high pitched horn on it. The horns on the Buick and the Packard would put these guys to shame, and they're both old, and grandma-ish. Grandma should not have a more manly horn than the dude in the one ton dually, it's just not right.

That's all for now, I'll be back if I can come up with more.

I don't think these were mentioned, so here goes.

1. Every manufacturer has to have their own proprietary blend of antifreeze (Orange Dexcool, Gold, Pink, Blue, Green...FONGOOL!!)

2. Cartridge oil filters like on the Fusions with the 2.3 and the 3.5 Toyotas.

3. Shoulder belts that run on the tracks along the door...I hate being decapitated

4. How unnecessarily difficult it is to work on VWs. I swear those German engineers get off on it

5. Tire Pressure Monitoring systems...especially Toyota

6. Fix-a-flat. Especially when customers look at you like you an idiot when you can't find the leak in their tire after they use fix-a-flat.

Focus seats that offer less comfort than cast iron or concrete.

Wife's FWD Pug diesel engine thats been shoe horned into a sardine tin nothing on it is DIY friendly, its bomb-proof and very economic though.

Expensive Lambda sensors that keep giving spurious fault code messages

Over complicated costly fuel injection/turbo charged fuel systems with to many component parts pipe joins to go wrong leak, to much weight. Cant beat a simple pipe from the fuel tank to a naturally aspirated engine preferably with twin choke webers.

Expensive Cataletic Converter that don't work on the first part most short journeys most Brits use their cars for, oxygen sensors another rip off when they go wrong.

Remote key immobilisers & radio waves that block signals from key fobs that lock owners out of their cars that always makes me laugh, and how much does it cost replace, repair or re innitialise when you lose keys.

Colour co-ordinated bumpers that cost a fortune have repaired even for a small bump, it's a shame a part steel chrome bumper can't be incorperated into a wrap round plastic bumper.

Fuel prices in the UK compared to fuel prices in the US, ours would be cheaper if the UK government ended their 70% tax grab on every gallon of gasoline we buy.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I don't think these were mentioned, so here goes.

1. Every manufacturer has to have their own proprietary blend of antifreeze (Orange Dexcool, Gold, Pink, Blue, Green...FONGOOL!!)

2. Cartridge oil filters like on the Fusions with the 2.3 and the 3.5 Toyotas.

3. Shoulder belts that run on the tracks along the door...I hate being decapitated

4. How unnecessarily difficult it is to work on VWs. I swear those German engineers get off on it

5. Tire Pressure Monitoring systems...especially Toyota

6. Fix-a-flat. Especially when customers look at you like you an idiot when you can't find the leak in their tire after they use fix-a-flat.

3.) You beat me to it! I really hate this in my T-Bird...when the seat belt gets confused, grinds, and goes back and forth. Oh, and don't forget to put on your "extra" lap belt. If I gotta buckle myself in anyway, what's the point of making the electric belt then?

Ford makes up for it with the keypad on the doors I guess.

I hate all gigantic key fobs.

A friend asked me to post this: He hates the key fob operated electric doors on this Honda Oddity..er...Odyssey. He said he can't even count of the number of times he's gone out in the morning to find the doors open because the button on the keyfob was accidentally pressed after he went in the house. He has no garage so on a number of occasions they had to have the interior dried out because it rained during the night.

The stalk/turn signal cruise control on older Gm cars.

My number one pet pieve is those stupid symbols that tell you this one is lights, this one is wipers, this one is coolant, ect............................

Why the hell do they do that? Why not just spell it out in plain english??????????????

Also Fords fake guages that are idiot lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because asshole consumers in this country can't read anymore. That's why!