Ford Loves New Chevy "Man Step" Commercial

True, but then again I'd be amazed if 15% of Truck owners use there vehicle as a real truck. To the other 85%, it's probably fine and an added "gadget".

Even then, I find it highly unlikely that the thought of dirt getting into the step opening never crossed the designers' minds. I haven't seen one up close to check out how it is put together, but I'd be surprised if there isn't some sort of simple provision to keep the area clear of debris.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but then again I'd be amazed if 15% of Truck owners use there vehicle as a real truck. To the other 85%, it's probably fine and an added "gadget".

I bet more than 15% haved hauled something in the bed of their truck. I also doubt the number of "lifestyle" truck owners is anywhere near 85%.

Why?

As the others said, he's trying to say that there's a possibility that dirt could get into the step's storage spot.

LOL....

I just watched the commercial, and I found it rather amusing how instead of countering that their bed is easier to get in and out of the ad goes on about a warranty (head scratcher there). It's like here let's make fun of it, but we don't have a better solution.

They did the same thing with the Ram ad.....heated steering wheel, compared to IIRC, again fuel economy.

I bet more than 15% haved hauled something in the bed of their truck. I also doubt the number of "lifestyle" truck owners is anywhere near 85%.

Hauled something, sure. The occasional TV or helping someone move. Regularly haul loads that would justify the expense or reach 80% payload capacity? I bet that is a very small number for the non-commercial market. As much as people like to think otherwise, most F150's or trucks in general probably don't get used as trucks all that often.

Remember some years ago, it was reported something like 14% of all 4x4 vehicles ever sold set tire off-road.

I got my F150 so I wouldn't look like this guy:

post-29423-1233189378_thumb.jpg

My F150 also goes off road, but only when necessary because it's quite the pig and not made for recreational off-road use. That's why I got the Xterra.

Edited by the_spaniard

Hauled something, sure. The occasional TV or helping someone move. Regularly haul loads that would justify the expense or reach 80% payload capacity? I bet that is a very small number for the non-commercial market. As much as people like to think otherwise, most F150's or trucks in general probably don't get used as trucks all that often.

Remember some years ago, it was reported something like 14% of all 4x4 vehicles ever sold set tire off-road.

I got my F150 so I wouldn't look like this guy:

post-29423-1233189378_thumb.jpg

My F150 also goes off road, but only when necessary because it's quite the pig and not made for recreational off-road use. That's why I got the Xterra.

Wait, I thought we were discussing the tailgate step. Why are we suddenly concerned with payload capacity?

I particularly enjoyed this man's response to the commercial:

Ford needs to brand it "the man step" and shoot a spot with Mike Rowe calling it that. ZING.

Scene: Exterior - Tailgate party at Stadium

Mike, standing in F-150 bed, working at BBQ grill.

Mike Rowe: "The bed is where a truck does its work and with the F-150's man step, you can get to work easy."

Cut to heavy set man wearing Oakland Raiders jersey struggling to throw his body into Chevy truck bed.

Cut to Mike helping ladies into the already swinging truck bed party using "man step"

Mike Rowe: "and when work is done, it is time to have some friends over"

Background - large man drops and destroys BBQ grill he is trying to get into Chevy bed.

Bookend with tagline: "F-150 a man step above the rest." and Ford logo.

That would be rather prime ... lol.

Wait, I thought we were discussing the tailgate step. Why are we suddenly concerned with payload capacity?

We are. Also people using their trucks as trucks. That's known as a joke, although a bad one. You guys have got to lighten up.

If my F150 had a step up (seems a little silly to me now) I'd probably never use it anyway. Then again, when I get older.....

Edited by the_spaniard

We are. Also people using their trucks as trucks. That's known as a joke, although a bad one. You guys have got to lighten up.

If my F150 had a step up (seems a little silly to me now) I'd probably never use it anyway. Then again, when I get older.....

Try one of these: :lol: or :hysterical:

They let folks know you're joking, especially with dry humor.

Of course in order to claim that their bed is easier to get into, it would need to be easier to get into.

But it's not.

Absolutely correct.

Of course all of this would be nonexistant if any of the current jumbosized truck offerings were still fullsized.

The whole man-step is a bandaid on a segment-wide design flaw.

Maybe GM can start offering one of these free with each GMT900:

laddersAluminium.jpg

Edited by Armada Master

I think the first time someone puts a shovel of loose mulch, dirt or sand in the back of their F-150, the tailgate step will no longer be as highly thought of by the owner.

Why?

I've learned from experience that no matter what provisions are made to deter infiltration, loose or fine grit and movable parts do not mix. The problem (imo) woundn't so much be with the handle, but with the step itself. The supports slide into the tailgate. Over time, as sand or other debris is shoveled over the step, the fines will stick to the supports and create issues.

It would not surpise me if the owners manual instructed the user to not leave the step deployed while shovelling loose material over the tailgate, but if you're by yourself and you're already in the truck bed, that will be quite a trick.

I applaud Ford's drive to innovate, but like tire pressure monitoring systems, I believe the tailgate step will be hailed at first and cursed later. It's very reason for being is another matter that should have been addressed to begin with, imo.

Trucks used to be about as idiot-proof as manhole covers. Today, not so much.

Edited by RangerM

Why?

I've learned from experience that no matter what provisions are made to deter infiltration, loose or fine grit and movable parts do not mix. The problem (imo) woundn't so much be with the handle, but with the step itself. The supports slide into the tailgate. Over time, as sand or other debris is shoveled over the step, the fines will stick to the supports and create issues.

so what do guys do now when dirt and debris get into the tailgate hinges, bed bolts, cracks and crevices?

Oh, I know. A garden hose.

Sorry, hauling dirt is such a non-issue with the tailgate step.

Edited by J-150

Why?

It would not surpise me if the owners manual instructed the user to not leave the step deployed while shovelling loose material over the tailgate, but if you're by yourself and you're already in the truck bed, that will be quite a trick.

I applaud Ford's drive to innovate, but like tire pressure monitoring systems, I believe the tailgate step will be hailed at first and cursed later. It's very reason for being is another matter that should have been addressed to begin with, imo.

Trucks used to be about as idiot-proof as manhole covers. Today, not so much.

Next time I'm over at the dealer's lot I will have to look closer at the step. My memory of seeing it at the auto show was that it was well sealed when closed.

Huge FAIL for mlhm5.

brady-300.gif

:hysterical:

"Ford’s full-year loss of $14.6 billion, or $6.41 a share, was more than five times larger than its 2007 loss of $2.7 billion, or $1.38 a share. It is the equivalent of losing about $2,700 on every car and truck sold worldwide and more than the 105-year-old company’s 2006 loss of $12.7 billion, the previous record." - NYT

Ford will be on their knees in Washington by the 3rd Q of 2009.

Edited by mlhm5

"Ford’s full-year loss of $14.6 billion, or $6.41 a share, was more than five times larger than its 2007 loss of $2.7 billion, or $1.38 a share. It is the equivalent of losing about $2,700 on every car and truck sold worldwide and more than the 105-year-old company’s 2006 loss of $12.7 billion, the previous record." - NYT

Alright! We have another "the Giants won't sack Brady" prediction! :hysterical:

doubtful, Ford has some FABULOUS product hitting, so I think it will improve....but if so there will be a few there with them...Toyotas quarterly is now predicted to be 4.4 bill, and heres a doozie...Honda has asked for UK taxpayer assistance ( bailout pounds ) to resurect their ( or assist ) Formula One program.....HOW BOUT THEM CAJONES!!!!!!!!

Edited by Deanh

I thought you gave up on playing Miss Cleo (although you are just as accurate as she is, so maybe it is a perfect fit).

Diesel Acura TSX? No where to be found

Diesel Hybrid VW? Where can I buy one of those?

Giants won't sack Brady? Can't seem to remember but those pictures suggest otherwise

So why don't we call you now, for a free reading...

misscleo.jpg