Ford Loves New Chevy "Man Step" Commercial

GM's calling out the competition pretty aggressively in a new commercial for the Chevy Silverado. In the 30-second spot, GM's Howie Long mocks the new F-150's tailgate step and an uncoordinated owner who's tied down a new birdhouse in the back of his new blue-oval pickup.

Long, after tossing bags of concrete into the back of his Silverado, tells the guy, "Hey buddy, you left your little, uh, 'man step' down."

Here's Ford truck marketing manager Doug Scott:

I hope they keep running the spot because they’re doing a great job advertising that feature for us.Thirty-two percent of the 2009 F-150s we’ve sold have that tailgate step. We’re doing really well with it, and we’re really happy they’re running that ad because it’s proven to be a popular feature."

More

I thought this was hysterical, and spot on IF GM still made the normal(ish) size pre-2007 Silverado/Sierra.

Now I find it hypocritical since GM's current 2007-present bloated billion dollar boo-boos they are peddling as Silverados/Sierras are as tall or taller than the F-150.

Thoughts?

Edited by Armada Master

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Wow, an example of what NOT to do when advertising. Anytime your opponent is explaining themselves, they are losing. And anytime you must talk about their features, your advertising for THEM. I would think GM would have done a better job on advertising for themselves, but they make a great case for Ford :)

How so? They can't pick on the Ford at all except to make fun of a feature they offer than GM doesn't? If it's a sharp right to Ford's chin, it was laid on them by a 4 year old.

It makes the new F-150 look like the only improvement was the "man step" and the critique was delivered by Howie Long (who is Ford's spokesman?) in prime time during a football game.

I view this step by GM like the early Miller Lite commercials where Miller used football greats to pitch their product against Budweiser.

If you happen to see a few more, then you will know the ad was successful, which IMO, it was.

How so? They can't pick on the Ford at all except to make fun of a feature they offer than GM doesn't? If it's a sharp right to Ford's chin, it was laid on them by a 4 year old.

Wonder if GM's next idea is to make fun of the Ram Box?

GM's problem is that when they redid the pickups it didn't bring anything new to the party. True desperation is making fun of something. As for the Tail Gate Step, I know plenty of guys that have them on their 250/350 and love them and say why did it take so long for that idea. When you are in and out of the bed of the truck 10+ times a day on a job site it makes it so much easier.

GM is in full desperation right now, when all else fails, make fun.

It makes the new F-150 look like the only improvement was the "man step" and the critique was delivered by Howie Long (who is Ford's spokesman?) in prime time during a football game.

I view this step by GM like the early Miller Lite commercials where Miller used football greats to pitch their product against Budweiser.

If you happen to see a few more, then you will know the ad was successful, which IMO, it was.

Ford has countered the timing of those ads with their lineup of ads featuring the all-new '09 F-150, Mike Rowe (hello? he hosts one of the most popular shows on cable) and Denis Leary which shows FAR more improvements to their truck than the Silverado ad which mentions nothing but fuel economy (which is no better than the F-150's) and their warranty. If those two guys and the new F-150 ads don't trump Howie Long (the previous schill for Radio Shack? really? that's the best they could do?) I don't know what would.

It's a simple rule of advertising: you do NOT advertise features that only your competitors offer. It doesn't matter what feature it is. You don't mention it.

???? You're right, since Ford doesn't run commercials with the voice over of some guy named Dennis Leary talking about upgrades, torque, sway control, etc.. during the football games. Oh wait....

Sharp right to the chin of Ford.

Yes, Ford sales will now fall to nothing as buyers flock in droves to buy a Chevy truck so they can avoid the dreaded but optional "man step" on the F-150.

Lets not forget all the lost Dodge sales due to an optional heated steering wheel.

mlhm5, you are a genius!

I think the first time someone puts a shovel of loose mulch, dirt or sand in the back of their F-150, the tailgate step will no longer be as highly thought of by the owner.

True, but then again I'd be amazed if 15% of Truck owners use there vehicle as a real truck. To the other 85%, it's probably fine and an added "gadget".