Sizing up the Dodge Ram and Ford F-150

I don't get the complaints about the Ford interior at all, it's hands down the best interior I've ever seen in a truck.

I thought that too until I sat in the Dodge truck. It is in another league (higher end models) for materials, content and to me fit and finish. I have always been a Ford guy but if I was in the truck market today (I have owned at least 12 trucks) it would be a hard decision.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the complaints about the Ford interior at all, it's hands down the best interior I've ever seen in a truck.

The complaints I've read of center mostly on the dash top being hard plastic.

Bling for blings sake....those King Ranches are bad taste personified.......Lariat is quite enough.

Hmmm, well 5-6 or the 8 or so new F-150s I've seen were Platinum models, so....

The complaints I've read of center mostly on the dash top being hard plastic.

All Ford Trucks are like that. They have been for years and no one (who bought them) has cared yet. Its partly because its a truck. You should see what happens to the soft touch stuff in some chevys. It just gets destroyed.

All Ford Trucks are like that. They have been for years and no one (who bought them) has cared yet. Its partly because its a truck. You should see what happens to the soft touch stuff in some chevys. It just gets destroyed.

I understand that, I'm just telling you that every complaint I've read/watched (video) about the F-150's interior involves the dash top being hard and looking like plastic (which it is). All the reviewers seem to love everything else about the interior.

what exactly do people want? To return to the vinyl covered foam dashes of the 70s and 80s?

I guess.....

I for one, don't really lean either way.....I like it'd be great to have a dash using material like on Flex (you can push it in with your finger) (and it arguably should be ona $40K+ truck), but at the same time it is a truck, and it's already really nice, so it's not that important either.

Yeah, I mean it's the top of a dashboard. It's not a mattress.

LOL.

what exactly do people want? To return to the vinyl covered foam dashes of the 70s and 80s?

Why not? They're more durable than this cheap shit plastic interiors in cars now! What about nice comfortable seats on top of it! Sit inside a 1972 Ford LTD with Brougham seating and you'll know what I'm talking about!

Edited by Bored of Pisteon

Why not? They're more durable than this cheap shit plastic interiors in cars now! What about nice comfortable seats on top of it! Sit inside a 1972 Ford LTD with Brougham seating and you'll know what I'm talking about!

Unfortunately I'll beg to differ there. The dashes on my 97 tbirds (and others I have access to) are all pretty "hard"... but still 100% intact after going on 13 years now.

By contrast, the Fox-body (83-88) Tbirds and Cougars I've been around - including my own '88 - virtually all had split and cracked dashes even before that age.

My 75 Lincoln may well be made of carboard, the materials in that car are hideous. (Kinda redefines that concept of "faux lux" that was discussed here a while back; in may cases the "faux" was as genuine if not even superior to the "real" lux.)

I'll grant you, I still prefer the softer dash of the earlier cars. I know I shouldn't care and it has no discernible benefit - I just "seems" better somehow. Actually even the '97's have kind of a softer texture to them (I guess using a more durable vinyl and foam) than current cars.

But, as for a truck: A truck does not need ultra-cushy materials. A hard yet functional dash woudl suit me just fine. Except for possibly a 50K Lariat or King Ranch, where I could see a need for extra refinement.

Unfortunately I'll beg to differ there. The dashes on my 97 tbirds (and others I have access to) are all pretty "hard"... but still 100% intact after going on 13 years now.

By contrast, the Fox-body (83-88) Tbirds and Cougars I've been around - including my own '88 - virtually all had split and cracked dashes even before that age.

My 75 Lincoln may well be made of carboard, the materials in that car are hideous. (Kinda redefines that concept of "faux lux" that was discussed here a while back; in may cases the "faux" was as genuine if not even superior to the "real" lux.)

I'll grant you, I still prefer the softer dash of the earlier cars. I know I shouldn't care and it has no discernible benefit - I just "seems" better somehow. Actually even the '97's have kind of a softer texture to them (I guess using a more durable vinyl and foam) than current cars.

But, as for a truck: A truck does not need ultra-cushy materials. A hard yet functional dash woudl suit me just fine. Except for possibly a 50K Lariat or King Ranch, where I could see a need for extra refinement.

My general comparisons were of the materials then compared to the shit they use now.

A truck is a truck period. But there is a cheapness factor compared to what they were even back in the 1990's. I'll grant you that. IF I wanted comfortable seats in a truck. I'd take the factory ones out and install RECARO Air-Ride bucket seats in them.

A truck is a truck period. But there is a cheapness factor compared to what they were even back in the 1990's.

:headscratch:

F-series interiors in the 80's and 90's were AWFUL compared to the ones now, in both design and quality. My best friend had an '88 F-150 in high school that I spent a ton of time in. That interior was garbage throughout. My brother's '01 interior puts it to shame in every respect. I haven't spent enough time in the newer ones to compare to the '01 yet, but based on what I've seen in other vehicle interiors all over the industry, I would have to assume the new F-150 interior is also better than the '01 hands down.

I don't think much can be done with the dash cap between trim levels. I think it's too expensive to change the molds out for a premier treatment.

all this about the top of the dash????...hell anyone remember how the "softies" used to split? don't like the hard plastic dash top...get a dash cover....Fords F-150 interior IS excellent.....

:headscratch:

F-series interiors in the 80's and 90's were AWFUL compared to the ones now, in both design and quality. My best friend had an '88 F-150 in high school that I spent a ton of time in. That interior was garbage throughout. My brother's '01 interior puts it to shame in every respect. I haven't spent enough time in the newer ones to compare to the '01 yet, but based on what I've seen in other vehicle interiors all over the industry, I would have to assume the new F-150 interior is also better than the '01 hands down.

Well, pretty much any interior from the 80's or 90's is crap compared to the ones out now. To put things in perspective, I had both a 1988 Ford F-150 and also a 1994 F-150 XLT Supercab 5.8. The 94 was such a tremendous upgrade (both interior and exterior-wise) that is was shocking they were both basically the same truck.

In terms of the competition, my brother had just got an uplevel 1994 Ram and compared to my same year F-150 XLT, the interiors were pretty even in styling and ergonomics.

Maybe I am just in a hurry, but I read this article twice and saw no mention of the F-150 tailgate step and the side steps on the cargo box.

Did I miss this or did this idiot ignore it because he was gushing so much about the coil sptings and the storage bins in the side of the Dodge bed??

GM tried coil springs in the back and weren't they lousy??

GM tried coil springs in the back and weren't they lousy??

Yes, they did..............40 years ago. You'd be surprised at how all sorts of tech that was used 40 years ago has improved since. Sorry, but that argument (bringing up GM's attempt at coils half a century ago) is just plain silly.

Let's see what Matt thinks about the new F-150 compared to the Silverado over on autoblog (yes I know I posted this on another thread, but it is just too good!)

VIDEO: Mike Rowe takes on dirty job of comparing full-size pickups {Autoblog}

Jan 28th 2009 1:40PM Well anemic engines is only half the story. I hate the way they look...new, ugly grille with carryover parts from the front fenders back, Ford's reliability issues, lack of customer support, dealing with the Ford dealers...the worst on the planet, lackluster fuel economy, and the size of the truck...it is way too big and heavy.

I'll stick with a truck that does everything the Ford can do...only better. The Silverado is a much better truck inside and out...which is why it is sitting in my garage. No matter how much Ford pads their towing and payload figures, it cannot hide the fact that it is an inferior truck.

Yes, they did..............40 years ago. You'd be surprised at how all sorts of tech that was used 40 years ago has improved since. Sorry, but that argument (bringing up GM's attempt at coils half a century ago) is just plain silly.

I think Ford could answer the Dodge "coil spring" setup simply be rolling out the F100 with a coil rear setup. It would not cannibalize F150 sales and attract those types of customers.....you know, the ones that want a truck....but complain about it being too "truck-like" (go figure...)

I think Ford could answer the Dodge "coil spring" setup simply be rolling out the F100 with a coil rear setup. It would not cannibalize F150 sales and attract those types of customers.....you know, the ones that want a truck....but complain about it being too "truck-like" (go figure...)

I think that until Ram sales make any headway into F150 sales, Ford doesn't really need to. Not necessarily sitting on their laurels, but personal pickup sales have stagnated to the point where this may not make the difference unless there was a huge surge of Ram sales because of this feature.

Don't get me wrong, I think adding the coil springs was a great idea and could have made a big difference sales-wise. If it was done 5-6 years ago during the peak of the personal pickup craze. Even though the coil springs still make for enough towing for virtually anyone buying a half ton pickup....the dumb numbers tend to sell these things.