New Ford TV Ad showing 2010 Taurus

I uploaded Ford's new ad to youtube:

The ad claims Ford quality is equal to Honda and Toyota. Too bad my recent experience with a leaking tranmission on my 2008 Ford Taurus contradicts what they say. I hope the 2010 Taurus AWD doesn't use the same PTU as the Edge:

SMOKIN EDGE

The Stinkin PTU Problem with the Ford Edge

http://www.smokinedge.com/

Edited by mazda626

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ad claims Ford quality is equal to Honda and Toyota. Too bad my recent experience with a leaking tranmission on my 2008 Ford Taurus contradicts what they say. I hope the 2010 Taurus Awd doesn't use the same PTU as the Edge:

SMOKIN EDGE

Well, statistically they're right... sorry you've had a bad experience though. I haven't heard of any known issues with the 2008 Taurus transmission... repeat problem or just a bad unit.

On to the ad, I like it. If you pause close to the end you can see the Fiesta, looks like the EU model. Wonder when we'll see the US translation?

The ad claims Ford quality is equal to Honda and Toyota. Too bad my recent experience with a leaking tranmission on my 2008 Ford Taurus contradicts what they say. I hope the 2010 Taurus Awd doesn't use the same PTU as the Edge:

SMOKIN EDGE

So WTF is your point about dragging an Issue you have with your Edge? How many other Edges have had this problem? From what I can see from your website it seems like its well under 100, pretty much an very insignificant number considering how many 100's of Thousands they sold.

Guess you never heard of the Sludge problem on Toyota engines...which there is no recall for...host of other issues totaya has and gets a free pass from the press on....:rolleyes:

SMOKIN EDGE

did they fix the leak?....shouldn't be a big issue....trans has been pretty good based on what i am hearing from the mechanics....

So WTF is your point about dragging an Issue you have with your Edge? How many other Edges have had this problem? From what I can see from your website it seems like its well under 100, pretty much an very insignificant number considering how many 100's of Thousands they sold.

Guess you never heard of the Sludge problem on Toyota engines...which there is no recall for...host of other issues totaya has and gets a free pass from the press on....:rolleyes:

I recall from my college statistics course that you need a minimum sample size of about 30 to calculate an average. I'm not going to buy 30 Ford cars before I make up my mind about their quality. :reading:

If this is an isolated problem, then why are the parts backordered? It doesn't look like an insignificant number if you look at this forum:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?sho...1654&st=320

My point for dragging in my warranty issue is the commercial pissed me off when I saw it. I have doubts if I traded in my 2008 for a 2010 Taurus that I wouldn't have the same problem again. This seal design problem affects half of Ford's lineup.

Edited by mazda626

I recall from my college statistics course that you need a minimum sample size of about 30 to calculate an average. I'm not going to buy 30 Ford cars before I make up my mind about their quality. :reading:

If this is an isolated problem, then why are the parts backordered? It doesn't look like an insignificant number if you look at this forum:

My point for dragging in my warranty issue is the commercial pissed me off when I saw it. I have doubts if I traded in my 2008 for a 2010 Taurus that I wouldn't have the same problem again. This seal design problem affects half of Ford's lineup.

oh contrare...6 or seven guys going off, how many fault free Edges are there???? realize this on blogs....you are 99% more likely to see a few complain than a lot praise....seriously we are NOT familiar with the problem here in So Cal...perhaps weather ( and i note the issue seems AWD oriented ) affected....who knows....very few Edges come back here for anything barring routine maintenence...

SMOKIN EDGE

So maybe that is the study to do. My mother-inlaw just paid ~$7k out of pocket for her new engine in her Avalon at 60k miles and 7 years or so. She still loves it. How much have you had to pay out of pocket? Nothing yet I am guessing. And I am not hammering on you in any way. I just wonder if American buyers are still expecting problems so they are frustrated even when on a new car on a new model and under warranty where as Toyota buyers love there cars even after huge out of pocket expenses?

I was just over reading the MKS site and there do seem to be some significant concerns with Burning smell, rear brakes, and sound system. But over all I don't think there is much to talk about problem wise as in volume of problems.

Peace and Blessings

First, off sorry to hear about your issues there. I know how frustrating it can be to have a vehicle purchased brand new only to run into an issue that from what I can tell is reoccurring. Good luck with getting it fixed.

Parts being on backorder does not necessarily indicate a widespread problem. If a regional Service Part Ordering center does not have the part on hand, which on occasion they don't then it has to come from somewhere else and that takes time. I once had to wait a week and a half for a reflector, and it had to come out of Dearborn. Educate yourself on how these things work, before making assumptions.

I also do not understand how you can have doubts about an essentially all new vehicle, because the 2008 that you currently have is having a slight issue. Applying your logic I shouldn't buy a VW because of coil packs, a Subaru because the engines like to send rods through the engine block, a Honda because of 5 speed auto issues, I could go on. Have you dug around Edmunds, MSN Autos, True Delta or CR to figure out how widespread the issue really is? Posting a link to a website that does nothing but rant about how horrible these vehicles are, does not do much to further your argument.

Finally, how has Ford dealt with this issue? Maybe Ford deserves to take some heat, but you haven't elaborated at all with regard to that.

First, off sorry to hear about your issues there. I know how frustrating it can be to have a vehicle purchased brand new only to run into an issue that from what I can tell is reoccurring. Good luck with getting it fixed.

Parts being on backorder does not necessarily indicate a widespread problem. If a regional Service Part Ordering center does not have the part on hand, which on occasion they don't then it has to come from somewhere else and that takes time. I once had to wait a week and a half for a reflector, and it had to come out of Dearborn. Educate yourself on how these things work, before making assumptions.

I also do not understand how you can have doubts about an essentially all new vehicle, because the 2008 that you currently have is having a slight issue. Applying your logic I shouldn't buy a VW because of coil packs, a Subaru because the engines like to send rods through the engine block, a Honda because of 5 speed auto issues, I could go on. Have you dug around Edmunds, MSN Autos, True Delta or CR to figure out how widespread the issue really is? Posting a link to a website that does nothing but rant about how horrible these vehicles are, does not do much to further your argument.

Finally, how has Ford dealt with this issue? Maybe Ford deserves to take some heat, but you haven't elaborated at all with regard to that.

from a foreigners standpoint....Americans with a complaint SCREAM, those with praise whisper...so says Confuscius Dean.

So maybe that is the study to do. My mother-inlaw just paid ~$7k out of pocket for her new engine in her Avalon at 60k miles and 7 years or so. She still loves it. How much have you had to pay out of pocket? Nothing yet I am guessing. And I am not hammering on you in any way. I just wonder if American buyers are still expecting problems so they are frustrated even when on a new car on a new model and under warranty where as Toyota buyers love there cars even after huge out of pocket expenses?

I know at least 3 Camry V6 owners who had to replace the tranny (under 15K mi). I know 2 Honda Odyssey owners with tranny issues (100-120K). I also know a 328i owner who had to replace tranny under 2K miles. Those are only from people I know from work/church.

Is FOMOCO products flawless?? no, I had my own issues with them. But the level of quality of newer FOMOCO's product has improved dramatically recently and I believe it is very close to the best in the industry.

But the level of quality of newer FOMOCO's product has improved dramatically recently and I believe it is very close to the best in the industry.

a number of sources (including JD Power and Consumer Reports) have used statistical data to back up your beliefs.

I really like my Taurus, but I am frustrated by the drive train problems. I bought this car to replace my eight year old Mazda 626, and that car had zero problems other than replacing normal wear and tear items. I expected the same quality from my new Ford, and this one issue is a big disappointment. The car is at the dealer right now having it's PTU replaced. This is my third return trip for this problem. Sure, it is covered under warranty, but all the return trips are a waste of my time. I like driving new cars so I don't have reliability problems.

I went and checked out the MKS forum after macattack1's tip. It seems the MKS is vulnerable to the same problem. A forum member named frustrated had the PTU replaced in his MKS:

http://www.lincolnmksforums.com/index.php?...entry1592

My comment about minimum sample size was meant to be a joke. I really don't know how far spread this problem is, but I suspect that it is common to all Ford vehicles that share the same parts. This seems to be a design problem, not a manufacturing problem. There is no way for me to find out how many others have had this problem other than internet forums.

I have been researching to find out more about this problem, and there is more information available now then there was three months ago. It seems the problem affects a lot of different cars that have AWD (Edge,Flex,Taurus,MKS) . If you are interested I posted a topic in the “Tech: Powertain, Navigation & SYNC Forum”:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=29229

Don’t preach to me about Ford Quality. I own one of the problem vehicles. Do you? I bought this car because I believed what I read about Ford's quality being equal to Toyota.

Edited by mazda626

The issue should not be whether a small number of cars have a problem. Cars are very complicated machines built in very large numbers. Of course some will break or have defects. The issue is how the problem is addressed by Ford and the dealer. Historically, the Japanese brands are viewed having done a better job of handling problems (per customer perception) than the American brands. This is where Ford can really improve the image of their products.

I hope Mazda 626s dealer is doing a good job in this matter.

I really like my Taurus, but I am frustrated by the drive train problems. I bought this car to replace my eight year old Mazda 626, and that car had zero problems other than replacing normal wear and tear items. I expected the same quality from my new Ford, and this one issue is a big disappointment. The car is at the dealer right now having it's PTU replaced. This is my third return trip for this problem. Sure, it is covered under warranty, but all the return trips are a waste of my time. I like driving new cars so I don't have reliability problems.

I went and checked out the MKS forum after macattack1's tip. It seems the MKS is vulnerable to the same problem. A forum member named frustrated had the PTU replaced in his MKS:

http://www.lincolnmksforums.com/index.php?...entry1592

My comment about minimum sample size was meant to be a joke. I really don't know how far spread this problem is, but I suspect that it is common to all Ford vehicles that share the same parts. This seems to be a design problem, not a manufacturing problem. There is no way for me to find out how many others have had this problem other than internet forums.

I have been researching to find out more about this problem, and there is more information available now then there was three months ago. It seems to me the problem affects a lot of different cars that have AWD (Edge,Flex,Taurus,MKS) . If you are interested I posted a topic in the “Tech: Powertain, Navigation & SYNC Forum”:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=29229

Don’t preach to me about Ford Quality. I own one of the problem vehicles. Do you? I bought this car because I believed what I read about Ford's quality being equal to Toyota.

sorry bout your issues, hopefully it will be fixed right, but realize, EVERY manufacturer has the odd issue car, and like I said, people with issues SCREAM, people with praise whisper, you can get on ANY BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Lexus, honda website and find similar threads...and guess what, usually harping in each others ears about THEIR issues....some of which make yours absolutely PALE in comparison...so, absorb the inconveinience, take a deep breath and hope it is rectified....I don't think it is as widespread as made out unless there is a TSB I am un-aware of.....

sorry bout your issues, hopefully it will be fixed right, but realize, EVERY manufacturer has the odd issue car, and like I said, people with issues SCREAM, people with praise whisper, you can get on ANY BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Lexus, honda website and find similar threads...and guess what, usually harping in each others ears about THEIR issues....some of which make yours absolutely PALE in comparison...so, absorb the inconveinience, take a deep breath and hope it is rectified....I don't think it is as widespread as made out unless there is a TSB I am un-aware of.....

I'm trying to be patient, and let the dealer fix it. What concerns me is some of members in the Edge Forum claim to have the seals replaced six times. I also read somewhere in there a dealer would keep replacing the seals until the warranty expires.

Deanh, I posted the TSB for this in my related forum topic:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...ost&id=8860

I'm trying to be patient, and let the dealer fix it. What concerns me is some of members in the Edge Forum claim to have the seals replaced six times. I also read somewhere in there a dealer would keep replacing the seals until the warranty expires.

I lay the onus on the dealers if theres a 6 time fix....OR a problematic part...BUt. like i said...the issue isn't big enough if i haven't heard of it....beleive me i've sold a bunch of em, and i would hear it from clients....

Again what is Ford doing to remedy your issue? Also why does it matter if someone owns a Ford vehicle with/without issues?

The real problem here is that once the problem occurs, it's difficult to get it repaired correctly. Ford has issued new seal kits, new replacement procedures and even entirely new PTUs - and most are continuing to leak after being repaired 2, 3 or 4 times. That's the frustrating part.

It sounds like this is a very hard thing to replace in the field and requires heating the seals so I'm not surprised some dealers can't do it right.

I would also guess this happens in cold climates where the seals shrink more and where you're more likely to have an AWD model.

I really like my Taurus,

Don’t preach to me about Ford Quality. I own one of the problem vehicles. Do you?

I'm going to PREACH to you. Your so far off base where you think your correct, you need to see the light.

I own an '07 MKX AWD, that qualifies me, you just said an Edge and now a Taurus. The sites you claim show everything is so far bogus, they mean nothing, True Delta only shows reports from people willing to sign up and give a license plate number. The guy who runs it is also a member on this site, His credibility is dubious in my estimate, just because of his collection methods, and believe me, people don't toss up a site like that unless it's to make a $. The Edge forum is now only filled with complaining people period. It use to be a good place until the trolls and kids (Gee, you sound just like one) with petty gripes showed up and ran off the ones that started out on it. I know, I get the reports everyday.

The blog you refer to is nothing more than a "Gary" who writes what he wants, no supporting backup data to any post, he can spend all day on it making up any story he wants to. "And I received this complaint today....."

It's been said here, 99% of people get online to complain and the ones with nothing to complain about don't post. HOW TRUE. how many whiners are complaining? Less than your joke of 30, but meanwhile Ford has made how many AWD? HOW many Edges and MKX's?

30 out of 400,000+ and their is a problem? Their is a problem because the Internet allows arm-chair people to act out like children.

Use the law and tools you have at your disposal, the warranty repair, which I'm pretty damn sure they gave you a loaner each time, the BBS arbitration process, and your state lemon laws.

Wonder how close I hit on everything I just said hummmmmm?

got it, annoying to say the least...but relatively minor....that is if the dealer is competent enough to fix it....