Ford's "Way Forward" seems to be working

Standing in lineup prior to the start of my shift yesterday, I was overhearing a couple of my fellow co-workers talking about cars....conversation went along the lines of...."I won't buy a GM or Chrysler since the government has its hand it them now..." Another co-worker interjects with, "Looking at a Toyota?", first guy replies...."Hell no!! They are overrated ...go asks 'perch' (nickname) he has had nothing but trouble with his Tundra...I am shopping for a Ford."

I hope this is playing out across our nation as well.....

I'm hearing a different tone when people discuss Ford. It seems to be much more positive than in the past.

Even automotively clueless students I interact with are noticing the differences between Ford and the other domestics. Something is in the air, for sure.

I'll be closely watching the (hopefully pending) economic recovery and the accompanying rise in auto sales. I'll bet Ford will pick up a lot of share.

Swizco

Even automotively clueless students I interact with are noticing the differences between Ford and the other domestics. Something is in the air, for sure.

I'll be closely watching the (hopefully pending) economic recovery and the accompanying rise in auto sales. I'll bet Ford will pick up a lot of share.

Swizco

<------

I'm still a 'New Member'?? That's rubbish.

Swizco

Shit, I've been reading these boards since before the lawsuit. I've seen a lot of people come, and a lot of people go. I've never been a "poster," til finally I said to hell with it and joined awhile ago. As you can see, I still don't post that much for how long I've actually been a registered member. But I've been active for the past couple of days..

Standing in lineup prior to the start of my shift yesterday....

I hope this is playing out across our nation as well.....

Huh?

lineup-big-tm.jpg

and +2 about it spreading.

<------

I'm still a 'New Member'?? That's rubbish.

Swizco

Yeah, that 0.06 posts per day won't get it! :shades:

LOL :lol:

What does that make me? :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

And what, then, does that make me? Am I worse? I've been here only 2 years this coming July....

The question is how long can Ford hold out without it needing a bailout? Back in the 80's Motor Trend magazine had an edition with the cover stating: Ford, the new number one car mfr. Indeed, Ford was poised to overtake GM in profits. But they blew it by not updating the Taurus -- to the Japanese car mfrs.' delight -- and also letting their heavy duty truck lines age. It was THEIR fault back then, but the numbers were still there and the economy kept them in the black and reaping big profits. I don't think they wanted to be number one. Too much pressure when you're at the top! This time they have to hope the economy picks back up in time! There's a threshold that needs to be met and I'm not sure the current car sales can sustain Ford much longer with their fix costs. I hope I'm wrong! But will they end up number one, or still number two to Toyota?

The question is how long can Ford hold out without it needing a bailout? Back in the 80's Motor Trend magazine had an edition with the cover stating: Ford, the new number one car mfr. Indeed, Ford was poised to overtake GM in profits. But they blew it by not updating the Taurus -- to the Japanese car mfrs.' delight -- and also letting their heavy duty truck lines age. It was THEIR fault back then, but the numbers were still there and the economy kept them in the black and reaping big profits. I don't think they wanted to be number one. Too much pressure when you're at the top! This time they have to hope the economy picks back up in time! There's a threshold that needs to be met and I'm not sure the current car sales can sustain Ford much longer with their fix costs. I hope I'm wrong! But will they end up number one, or still number two to Toyota?

Ford doesn't need to be number one, and I think they realize that. Actually, I don't think they want to be #1. Toyota isn't doing the best now either...what has #1 gotten them?

I think Ford will do fine picking up some market share and selling vehicles at a profit. That is the important thing...not selling the most vehicles.

There's a threshold that needs to be met and I'm not sure the current car sales can sustain Ford much longer with their fix costs. I hope I'm wrong! But will they end up number one, or still number two to Toyota?

That threshold you speak of has been lowered considerably by Ford right sizing it work force and

production capacity. A lot of people were concerned when Ford began its downsizing that they weren't

making enough products to be profitable. Alan Mulally was quoted as saying that Ford was prepared to

continue reducing its size until it was profitable and along the way, Ford has unearthed some substantial

gains in efficiency that bode well for the future.

Ford have said as long as car annual sales rates remain above 9 million they don't need government funding is a big coup, last month was about 10 million so they're on course. The next three months should see them step back from the brink.

Also remember, GM has to go through what Ford has been doing for the past three years but unlike Ford,

it will now have terms dictated to it by others that don't understand the car business.

Edited by jpd80

Also remember, GM has to go through what Ford has been doing for the past three years but unlike Ford,

it will now have terms dictated to it by others that don't understand the car business.

Technically, Mulally "didn't understand the car business" either.... :P

Edited by rmc523

System was down for 3 hours last night, I was hoping the search was fixed.

Anyways, I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to find a thread about F and GM stock price, so I'll throw this in here.

I have been amazed at Ford selling for $1.50 greater than GM. now today

Apr. 8, 2007 @ 11:08 AM EST.

F +.12 = $3.61

GM -.08 +$1.92

It won't be long til F is over $2 more than GM and if any word of GM filling Bankruptcy actually happens, I expect F to go over 5 and GM tank to under 1

It won't be long til F is over $2 more than GM and if any word of GM filling Bankruptcy actually happens, I expect F to go over 5 and GM tank to under 1

A GM bankruptcy filing would probably have at least a short-term negative affect on Ford's stock price. Any more added instability to the overall auto market right now would likely have a negative impact on F stock price.

System was down for 3 hours last night, I was hoping the search was fixed.

Anyways, I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to find a thread about F and GM stock price, so I'll throw this in here.

I have been amazed at Ford selling for $1.50 greater than GM. now today

Apr. 8, 2007 @ 11:08 AM EST.

F +.12 = $3.61

GM -.08 +$1.92

At closing:

F > $3.95 +0.46

GM > $1.93 -0.07