Ford CVPI gets high marks in testing

I saw a NYS Trooper in a new Crown Vic and it had a neat little additional tag on the rear valence panel opposite the "POLICE INTERCEPTOR" badge....it was sporting a "FLEX FUEL" badge with the eco-leaf. Hmmmmm. So much for no new investment to the platform.

Would that not technically be an engine-related update? Therefore it's technically not a new investment to the platform.

Would that not technically be an engine-related update? Therefore it's technically not a new investment to the platform.

True...but, since the days of the modular engine are coming to a close....as well as the Panther chassis as we know it....I thought it was noteworthy of Ford to make this investment.....

True...but, since the days of the modular engine are coming to a close....as well as the Panther chassis as we know it....I thought it was noteworthy of Ford to make this investment.....

I see. IIRC, hasn't that engine been Flex Fuel for a few years at least now?

Whatever, I see your point.

Flex fuel engines were introduced in May 2007 on the 2008 model Crown Victoria and available to police.

APRIL 2, 2007Ford Offers Flex Fuel Crown Victoria Police Vehicle

Ford’s 2008 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor will be offered as a flexible fuel vehicle allowing it to operate on E85 ethanol or gasoline. Vehicle production is slated to begin in May.

Edited by jpd80

Don't know about the CVs future, or the flex in police use, but I sure am seeing more and more Ford Taurus vehicles in use as police vehicles around here. Well, mainly sheriff's department and Fed Gov units, but still, police service.

LOL I've seen Flex's on "Fringe" as FBI cars ;)

On a more serious note, I was watching the news (out of NYC) and saw an Altima or Maxima in NYPD markings! I know they used Impalas before but this is the first time I've seen Nissans as cop cars

Ford doesn't care about it anymore because their retail customer base doesn't. Of course, it's debatable which came first. The Panther has become somewhat of a chicken-or-the-egg vehicle.

nope...Dodo nick, not Chicken

I wonder if PDs now feel that the FWD Taurus with either the standard 3.5 or Lincoln 3.7 suits their needs.

After having Crown Vics forever, it's a bit tough for them to make the quantum leap but give it a couple

of years winter service in the Northern States and I'd say FWD will be a firm favourite.

That would also give Ford the opportunity to then transition government and PDs to future Ecoboost

and hybrid technologies, something fleet managers may be considering with CO2 on everyone's lips.

Actually, a hybrid Taurus with it's battery storage may suit Police attending crash situations where they

require additional power for lighting and communication systems.

Edited by jpd80

I wonder if PDs now feel that the FWD Taurus with either the standard 3.5 or Lincoln 3.7 suits their needs.

After having Crown Vics forever, it's a bit tough for them to make the quantum leap but give it a couple

of years winter service in the Northern States and I'd say FWD will be a firm favourite.

That would also give Ford the opportunity to then transition government and PDs to future Ecoboost

and hybrid technologies, something fleet managers may be considering with CO2 on everyone's lips.

Actually, a hybrid Taurus with it's battery storage may suit Police attending crash situations where they

DO not bet on it. FWD sucks in the winter. The northern climes will move to Tahoes. It is already happening here. The RCMP are using them in ever increasing numbers and the EPS is testing them as a CV replacement. The EPS will not be going to FWD cruiser any time soon. Any body that has done any amount of long term winter driving will tell ya FWD is damn dangerous on icy roads.

Matthew

DO not bet on it. FWD sucks in the winter. The northern climes will move to Tahoes. It is already happening here. The RCMP are using them in ever increasing numbers and the EPS is testing them as a CV replacement. The EPS will not be going to FWD cruiser any time soon. Any body that has done any amount of long term winter driving will tell ya FWD is damn dangerous on icy roads.

Matthew

OK then so FWD isn't the answer like some people say...

Hey Matthew can you shed some light on this statement by Jim Farley:

LINK(cached)

DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. wants to save its police-car business, which in strong economic times accounts for annual sales of about 65,000 Ford Crown Victorias.

The likely solution is a front-drive, unibody vehicle platform with all-wheel-drive adaptability, said Jim Farley, group vice president of marketing and communications. Several vehicles are under review, but he would not say whether the re-engineered, re-styled Taurus is one of them.

"The next five years will be a very important transition technically for the [police] pursuit business and limo livery," Farley said last week at a private Ford dinner.

The Crown Victoria will be dropped in 2011, as will two sibling rear-drive, body-on-frame models, the Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car. The Crown Victoria is the most popular police car.

Regarding police vehicles used for high-speed pursuit, Farley said he sees a transition from "the legacy products" to awd or fwd unibody vehicles in the long term, and possibly unibody rwd crossovers as an interim solution.

Farley said Ford must maintain its presence in the ambulance, fire truck and police car business: "These days you really can't afford to walk away from a loyal customer base who loves your product."

I'm wondering if Tahoe is making inroads whether a Ford Territory would work,

it's as wide as a Vic and heaps of room inside, much larger than Edge......

And the RWD/AWD turbo six is to die for..............

Or would they do D3 Explorer with the Ecoboost V6?

Edited by jpd80

Tahoe is going away also.

My guess(es) on the new CVPI:

Unibody SUV-type, Edge or possibly the new Explorer. FWD V6, and V6 EcoBoost with AWD.

-OR-

Taurus with same drivetrains as above.

-OR-

The Taurus X might become available only as the interceptor.

The Ford Police Advisory Board has been intrumental in helping to open communication between the police fleets and Ford regarding the CVPI,as well as having input on the development of the replacement vehicle. I know they have driven an EcoBoost mule of some sorts, but due to strict confidentiality agreements, nobody's talking!

Regarding the Ethonal engine (V code), it is the only engine available. That reminds me...Why didn't they ever use the 3 valve heads on this car??? Could have been an easy 50 h.p.

Cue Armada Master in 5.....4.....3.....2......

Matthew

Wow. I have ALWAYS heard the opposite.

The only time I've heard anyone say RWD is fine in the winter is if they put sandbags in the trunk over the rear axle. Otherwise, sportier RWD cars (like the Mustang) often stay garaged.

I'm willing to bet that many (maybe not most, maybe not all) of the Tahoes you've seen have been 4WD.

The driving dynamic of FWD and RWD in wintery/icy conditions are 180 degrees apart. In a RWD vehicle, if the rear end starts to slide and lose traction, the natural response is to get off the gas and straighten out....if you do that in FWD....you'll end up spinning out and losing control. I have found that keeping even pressure on the gas if the rear starts to break loose and slide out and drive through the slide will get you through, but it does take some getting used to.

ADD ON: But...I'll take FWD over RWD in the winter any day.

Edited by twintornados

Cue Armada Master in 5.....4.....3.....2......

Because obviously they've bought so many WImpalas til now to warrant the Taurus argument.

Farley said Ford must maintain its presence in the ambulance, fire truck and police car business: "These days you really can't afford to walk away from a loyal customer base who loves your product."

But they aren't walking away from it, they are throwing it away.

I predict all the Tahoes and Chargers that P.D.s can stand assuming GM or Chrysler will be around to make them.

Here's a curious view for all to ponder...The new Explorer that we have seen mules of running around Dearborn....you know, the one that looks like a cobbled up Taurus X with a Flex nose on it. Seeing as what Farley stated about RWD and the demands of retaining market segments....

What if this mule is RWD able? Imagine if you will, a D3 (call it D3R) chassis as a starting point, with modifications to the structure to install the engine in a "north/south" orientation with RWD and AWD options and EcoBoost for power.....things that make you go, "hmmmmmm..."

Edited by twintornados

Wow. I have ALWAYS heard the opposite.

The only time I've heard anyone say RWD is fine in the winter is if they put sandbags in the trunk over the rear axle. Otherwise, sportier RWD cars (like the Mustang) often stay garaged.

I'm willing to bet that many (maybe not most, maybe not all) of the Tahoes you've seen have been 4WD.

Having lived in Minnesota for over a decade I'd pick FWD over RWD for winter (ice) driving. But having also driven AWD and 4WD I think the AWD system is smoother since it allows for slippage. As far as Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes and other "nice" or "collectibles" they stay in the garage to protect them from the salt (think rust) I knew one guy that wouldn't drive his Vette till after the third hard thunderstorm of spring just to make sure the salt had been washed off the roads. Lots of people have "winter beaters" (think rust buckets) that are only driven during the winter. I had a 86 Blazer 2.8L that was so bad you could put you finger through almost any piece of sheet metal on it, but the4x4 worked and I didn't care what it looked like.

Here's a curious view for all to ponder...The new Explorer that we have seen mules of running around Dearborn....you know, the one that looks like a cobbled up Taurus X with a Flex nose on it. Seeing as what Farley stated about RWD and the demands of retaining market segments....

What if this mule is RWD able? Imagine if you will, a D3 (call it D3R) chassis as a starting point, with modifications to the structure to install the engine in a "north/south" orientation with RWD and AWD options and EcoBoost for power.....things that make you go, "hmmmmmm..."

Don't forget there's a new Aussie RWD/AWD Territory CUV due out next year, those mule shots could be part of FoA's crash test program.

Not saying they are but keep an open mind on that one, remember what happened when a couple of Falcons were seen a few years ago.

The cost of changing a D3 to RWD would most likely exceed the cost of doing a LHD Territory.

Hopefully, Ford will come out with a plan for future police vehicles in the near future and put everyone in the picture.

Edited by jpd80