5.0 Coyote

Has Ford officially had any comment on the new 5.0 engine? If this engine makes it in the Mustang as has been reported, will the GT really have 400hp? If so I wonder how much the price will go up. Ford should have an awesome ad campaign with return of the 5.0 commercials.Has anyone on here seen this engine or ridden in a test mule with it? Is it a four cam engine only? when can we expect to see this bad boy? :reading:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone on here seen this engine or ridden in a test mule with it?

Seen, yes. Driven, no. The Coyote is a bit longer than the Modular so the Mustang boys are having to move a few things around.

Is it a four cam engine only?

Yes

when can we expect to see this bad boy?

2011MY

Ford should have an awesome ad campaign with return of the 5.0 commercials.

I disagree. The only ones who were really passionate about the 5.0 were those who grew up with them in the 1980's. Personally, I don't look back very fondly on them, especially considering the most power they ever came with from the factory was a measily 240 horses.

I disagree. The only ones who were really passionate about the 5.0 were those who grew up with them in the 1980's. Personally, I don't look back very fondly on them, especially considering the most power they ever came with from the factory was a measily 240 horses.

BUT.....very easily tweeked to 300 PLUS....the 302 ROCKED and has a Mustang heritage for sure...

Nick, I respectfully disagree with you, no matter what anyone says, good or bad, about the old pusrod roller cam wonder, it singlehandidly put Ford on the map as far as street cred goes, it gave the Mustang an incredible reputation that still carries on today. Think for just a minute of all the things that came from this marriage of car and engine, All the magazines,that came about because of it,Summit Racing having a 5.0 section in its catalog [this was unheard of, especially FORD products] the unmatchable amount of high performance parts that are still coming out, sure the newer models do everything better,but if not for the 5.0 there very well may not be a Mustang :shades:

Bossed

Yeah Nick, I'm disagreeing with you there too. 240 hp was more than enough to put the Camaro in its place. It wasn't until the LT1 did the Camaro out run the stang. Those of us in our 30s remember the 5.0 Mustang as the car to have in high school. No offense but you younger gearheads don't remember guys like LaRocca, Deputy, and Stormin Norman tearing it up at E-Town and all the grudge matches against the Buick GN guys. The 5.0 cars were fast stock and rockets modded. They have a special place in a lot of hearts out there. Put 5.0 badges on them....it won't bother me a bit.

As others have said, the car and engine gave Ford street cred, something it had not seen in 15 years. I have no idea how many times I heard losers back then...and even Ricers today...say "Man...I hung right with a 5.0 Mustang" or "this dude in a 5.0 tried to race me."

Edited by atomaro

As a young guy that bought his first Mustang in 1965, and followed that with other new Mustangs all the way through 2008......I have to agree that it was the 5.0 era that finally did it for Ford street performance. After the late fifties, it seemed no amount of professional racing successes earned Ford as much overall respect as did the 5.0. By the way, my 85 GT 5.0 (210 hp) ran just about the same ET and speed as my 69 Mach-I (290 HP). These times were run when both cars were new and totally showroom stock.

and I'll add, even though 240hp was the most the 5.0 ever came with, in relative terms, it was near class leading. Back in the day, the 5.0 Mustang, while not the fastest car out there, didn't get embarrased by Corvettes or F-bodies either. It took something fairly exotic to beat it. And to this day, I judge how fast cars are based on how it measures up to my old 5.0. Also, the fox body 5.0 it is the reason I come to BON and am a Ford fan even though I haven't owned 5.0 for 10 years or even had a ford for 5 years. I'd be disappointed if they didn't try to resurrect the 5.0 spirit (if not the badge.)

(weren't the 94-95 Cobras rated a 245hp? I know they would put out 230+ on a Chassis dyno.)

I grew up on 4V 351 Clevelands, 302's with 351Windsor heads, and some other big block stuff. When I was fixing up my car as a teenager, I remember how there were no go fast parts for Fords. People used to say how expensive it was to build a Ford, and make fun of the Windsor's tiny exhaust ports,and how easy a chevy was to make go fast. The roller cam 5.0 in the Mustang showed there was a new Sheriff in town. For all the cylinder heads,intake manifolds,camshafts,stroker kits,blowers,turbos,Fun Ford Weekends, and on and on and on, we owe it all to the Fox 5.0. I remember seeing those little 5.0's kicking the shyte of some strong running camaro's and shivelles and novas. After taking so much crap from these jackasses with their 327's,350's,383's and their big block,396 and 454's, watching them get embarrassed by those little 5.0's will be forever burned in my memory!!! I say.... HAIL TO THE CHIEF!!!!!!!!! :shades:

Bossed

Frankly, I'm disappointed in you guys. Ford confirms the Coyote 5.0 for the next model year and its possible 400/400 power numbers, and most of you are stuck on reminiscing about the 5.0 from my childhood. :rolleyes:

I'll jump in too, I guess. Ford resurrected the SHO badge for the upcoming model even though the most power any previous SHO made was 235 hp. I see no problem with another 5.0 badge on these upcoming GTs... but stylized differently from the badge from the Fox-bodies.

EDIT: Can't believe I put an apostrophe in "its"... I've been reading on the Internets too long... :banghead:

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

Frankly, I'm disappointed in you guys. Ford confirms the Coyote 5.0 for the next model year and it's possible 400/400 power numbers, and most of you are stuck on reminiscing about the 5.0 from my childhood. :rolleyes:

I'll jump in too, I guess. Ford resurrected the SHO badge for the upcoming model even though the most power any previous SHO made was 235 hp. I see no problem with another 5.0 badge on these upcoming GTs... but stylized differently from the badge from the Fox-bodies.

oh yeah, most definitely. A new badge design for the new engine design!

Frankly, I'm disappointed in you guys. Ford confirms the Coyote 5.0 for the next model year and it's possible 400/400 power numbers, and most of you are stuck on reminiscing about the 5.0 from my childhood. :rolleyes:

We have had 400hp and higher stangs available since 2003. Its not like this is the first time.