Mustang will have 3.7 V6

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF the new Cyclone heads actually hurt bottom end power. That's a big assumption.

Yes, it is an assumption, and one probably impossible to prove as Ford does not release HP and Torque diagrams (with accurate scales).

However, given that the bore and stroke are constant, and a few other limiting facts, the likely assumption is a trade of of low end torque for high end power.

Less weight :happy feet: , only around 40 hp lower than MY10 (20 for 05-09).

Remember the PIP 3.0L in the Fusion. It gets 10% improvement in power and torque with improved fuel efficiency. Most of this is coming from the Cam Torque Actuated (CTA) iVCT technology. The 3.5L EB engine will be getting this. This is a technical improvement that most if not all Ford engines will be getting in the future. I expect the 3.5L NA to get it soon. Better than just max torque, CTA improves to shape of torque curve.

While I doubt that a small weight reduction and a 6 speed automatic will make up for a loss of 40 hp. It will make up for a 10 to 20 hp loss.

I can only pray that a 3.5 EB pony has a completely defeatable traction control for some fantastic burnouts (instead of corporate getting scared and mandating one that isn't) and a track handling package worth its weight in gold. The existing packs are great, but if they can get just a touch better handling out of the steed, then the lightness of the 3.5L EB setup with its prodigeous power will make it the true successor of the SVO and what the SVO should have been all along.

I had always hoped that Ford would update the SOHC 4.0L V6 with a 3V head like on the 4.6L V8 in the GT. If the V6 improved as much as the V8 did when the extra valve was added in 05, the 4.0 would likely be in the 255HP range; torque would've gone up noticeably, too.

Edited by T'Cal

I had always hoped that Ford would update the SOHC 4.0L V6 with a 3V head like on the 4.6L V8 in the GT. If the V6 improved as much as the V8 did when the extra valve was added in 05, the 4.0 would likely be in the 255HP range; torque would've gone up noticeably, too.

In proportion with the 4.6 3V, a 3 valve 4.0 V6 would give similar power/torque as the Duratec 37.

A lot to change to justify when the Duratec 3.7 already exists with 4 valve, VCT and alloy block.

In proportion with the 4.6 3V, a 3 valve 4.0 V6 would give similar power/torque as the Duratec 37.

A lot to change to justify when the Duratec 3.7 already exists with 4 valve, VCT and alloy block.

and cleaner tailpipes.....along w better mileage,,,,,,,,,,,

and cleaner tailpipes.....along w better mileage,,,,,,,,,,,

Exactly, Duratec 35/37 captures all the features Ford wants including Ecoboost.

Who would have thought the Aussie I-6 would have outlived a lot of other Ford six cylinder engines,

290 lb ft @3200 and 260 hp @ 6000 with a log manifold and single exhaust no less.

It pulls like a train and should be in the Mustang, maybe next product cycle........

Exactly, Duratec 35/37 captures all the features Ford wants including Ecoboost.

Who would have thought the Aussie I-6 would have outlived a lot of other Ford six cylinder engines,

290 lb ft @3200 and 260 hp @ 6000 with a log manifold and single exhaust no less.

It pulls like a train and should be in the Mustang, maybe next product cycle........

Packaging perhaps...that and a Koalas sense of smell PALES in comparison to an angry underappreciated underpaid EPA employee....

Packaging perhaps...that and a Koalas sense of smell PALES in comparison to an angry underappreciated underpaid EPA employee....

End of July is the cut off for FoA deciding power train use beyond CY 2102 ( the next Falcon platform)

I'm hoping that the 3.7 V6 replaces the Cologne V6 for 2011 MY as my lease on my 07 V6/manual ends next fall. I was really disappointed when the 2010 launched with old powertrains. They also need to get 6 speed manuals on both V6 and V8 ASAP. With the 6th gear, you could have 3.73 acceleration with better than 3.31 highway fuel milage.

I'm hoping that the 3.7 V6 replaces the Cologne V6 for 2011 MY as my lease on my 07 V6/manual ends next fall. I was really disappointed when the 2010 launched with old powertrains. They also need to get 6 speed manuals on both V6 and V8 ASAP. With the 6th gear, you could have 3.73 acceleration with better than 3.31 highway fuel milage.

Rumor has it that all transmissions for 2011 will be 6 speeds (auto and manual).