Beware the Scorpion! 2011 Ford Super Duty gets all-new 6.7-liter diesel V8

I don't know, but wonder if they are trying to increase performance by keeping the head cooler than the block....

You missed the quote.

The second cooling system is for the inlet air charge, fuel, transmission fluid and EGR. Not the cylinder heads.

Oops, I guess I should read the whole quote before replying. In any case, cooling the Inlet air and EGR has the same effect as cooling the head. I have always wondered whether a water to air intercooler would be more effective than Air to Air. I see the value in using different temperatures to cool different things. I have read that having the ideal temperature in different fluids like transmission fluid reduces friction a lot. I am surprised that they are spending the money on a separate pump and radiator to achieve the different temperatures.

Not the current Transit. I4/I5 engines only.

4.4L definitely fit in the E Series

the transit uses more compact struts, the engine sits lower, and the engine compartment is wide enough to fit a transverse drive train.

the issue is not width it is length, unlike the e-series the transit fits it's motors in front of the firewall not in-between the front seats. that gives you alot more room to maneuver.

the transit uses more compact struts, the engine sits lower, and the engine compartment is wide enough to fit a transverse drive train.

the issue is not width it is length, unlike the e-series the transit fits it's motors in front of the firewall not in-between the front seats. that gives you alot more room to maneuver.

Yes. I think people are confusing what Ford is putting into the Transit v.s. what they are capable of putting into the Transit van. I saw a picture of a V-8 that someone put into the Transit van. It looked like it had lots of room to spare.

Yes. I think people are confusing what Ford is putting into the Transit v.s. what they are capable of putting into the Transit van. I saw a picture of a V-8 that someone put into the Transit van. It looked like it had lots of room to spare.

Not that anyone seems to believe me, but ...

Word from an inside source, the US transit (whenever it shows up) will have a EU powertrain. Forget your dreams of Scorpion or even the 4.4L. They are not going to happen.

After all, it is a "global vehicle" !

Word from an inside source, the US transit (whenever it shows up) will have a EU powertrain. Forget your dreams of Scorpion or even the 4.4L. They are not going to happen.

One Ford!

BTW- latest news is Dodge will no longer sell the Sprinter, it will be available only at authorized Freightliner and (get this!) Mercedes Benz dealerships!

the US transit (whenever it shows up) will have a EU powertrain

I'd sooner believe that than believe that Ford would force an engine twice the size of the largest currently installed engine into the Transit.

Now how they'll manage to make a 300lb-ft engine haul a 24k GCWR vehicle-----

The most powerful diesel in the Transit range is roughly on par with the V10--and that's before it's US emissions certified.

The Transit is NOT a suitable replacement for the E-Series

Mostly I believe the manufacturer's publicly released statistics derived from industry standard protocols when a vehicle is in the showroom and selling. Mostly.

Is the 4.4 yet another design separate from the 6.7?

Actually that is what killed the 4.4L

The plan was to have one set of engineers do development on both engines simultaneously. The thought was "How different could 2 V8 diesels be ?" Well, they were. And they did not want to add more resources to bring them both home.

(Actually, one engineer told me, they were "afraid" of "how good" the 4.4L was ! "Too close" in performance to the Scorpion. No data to support that claim.)

Shelved.

I heard the same thing that CGIron reported. The tooling was purchase. Probably not yet installed and/or made ready for production. There is a ray of hope. I would be a great engine for E250 and most E350.

and the F250 and base for the F350. I don't need 400 HP and 700 lb-ft of torque in an F250. 300 / 500-550 would be perfect for an F250. Coupled with a bit less weight and a bit better fuel economy, that would be sweet for towing a 8k lb fiver!

I'd sooner believe that than believe that Ford would force an engine twice the size of the largest currently installed engine into the Transit.

Now how they'll manage to make a 300lb-ft engine haul a 24k GCWR vehicle-----

The most powerful diesel in the Transit range is roughly on par with the V10--and that's before it's US emissions certified.

The Transit is NOT a suitable replacement for the E-Series

in your opinion.

I don't think ford Would Do anything to hurt their market share.

AGAIN, We really don't know what Ford plans to do. We will have to trust their judgment, and belive they know what they are doing.

Shelved.

I heard the same thing that CGIron reported. The tooling was purchase. Probably not yet installed and/or made ready for production. There is a ray of hope. I would be a great engine for E250 and most E350.

I concur 1000%....a wonderful addition to Econoline. How to meld the best of Econoline and Transit is the obvious question that Ford must resolve if they truly are interested in the "One Ford" approach.

Just for kicks, I built a Ford Transit as listed below....it comes in at a whopping $43,044.85 (converted from British Pounds to US Dollars) and that is before the VAT...but, it is a brute in form...dual rear wheels, 200PS (approx. 197HP) and 470Nm (approx. 346 Ft. Lbs.) of torque. with a 2,265 Kg (4993 Lb) GVW. Sounds pretty stout....Econoline can do that and more....right?

03 September 2009 19:02

Your vehicle

350 LWB Single Chassis Cab Jumbo Dual Rear Wheel - Transit (Base)

Base price

£26,370.00

Standard Features

3.2 Duratorq TDCi Diesel (200PS) - RWD Rear Wheel Drive Axle Ratio 4.10 Jumbo Dual Rear Wheel - Transit (Base) Front Brakes - Brake Pad Wear Indicator, 80 litres fuel tank, Power-Assisted Steering,Front, independent MacPherson struts, variable rate coil springs, stabiliser bar and gas-pressurised shock absorbers. Rear, leaf springs and gas-pressurised shock absorbers

Selected options

Frozen White

£0.00

Price Summary

Total price (excl. VAT) *

£26,370.00

VAT

£3,956.00

Total price *

£30,326.00

Edited by twintornados