2011 Mustang engine specs leaked!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford's propaganda compared the 3.5EB to the current generation of Modular V8s. Not the upcoming 5.0 Coyote. I've said this before...comparing a 3.5EB in an RWD configuration (which does not exist) to the soon to debut 5.0 Coyote can only exist on the Internet.

- Do we have power curves to examine? No

- Do we know fuel economy? No

- We know that the EB runs 12psi...how reliable will it be at 18psi??

- Do we know what mods will work the best on the Coyote? No

Ford's propaganda compared the 3.5EB to the current generation of Modular V8s. Not the upcoming 5.0 Coyote. I've said this before...comparing a 3.5EB in an RWD configuration (which does not exist) to the soon to debut 5.0 Coyote can only exist on the Internet.

- Do we have power curves to examine? No

- Do we know fuel economy? No

- We know that the EB runs 12psi...how reliable will it be at 18psi??

- Do we know what mods will work the best on the Coyote? No

that said we know even less about the Coyote......

how reliable will it be at 18psi??

It won't run at 18psi.

The engine is clearly being throttled back to produce that ridiculously flat torque 'curve'.

How much performance is held in reserve to protect the engine vs. the transmission we don't know. However, the one thing abundantly clear is that the EB has an artificially limited torque curve.

I kinda hate to think about the demise of the V 8 in the Mustang. However....One thing I know....You can make a lot more power with a turbo charged direct injection 3.5 V6 than you can with a naturally aspirated 5.0 V8. A lot more. And with better fuel economy and more mid range TQ. It's not tough to figure out the ultimate outcome.

I also don't think most on here understand how tuning determines how much HP an engine produces. They don't have to redesign the engine every couple years to make more power. The enginers can develop the new 5.0 to make reliable somewhat understressed 400 HP. Then choke it off some with a smallesh air intake system, pull back a few degrees of timing, and run it a tad rich at times, so they can advertise it at 365-375 when it first comes out. And...pull a little timing and fuel each time it shifts, stuff like that (my wife's 4.6 Mustang does that). Then over a couple years, gradually change the tune back to what was already developed, at no cost really, and increase the advertised numbers each couple model years. They can do the same with the 3.7. Develop it to 315-330 or so, then start it off at 280 or something, them raise it gradually over time, with no changes other than a slightly larger air intake path, a few degrees more timing, run it a tad leaner, etc. Just like they have done with the GT 500 engine. That's what I expect.

Ralph, you are spot on. I think the next race will be to shed weight. Hp has gotten to a point that its nearly unbelievable. However, Im of the belief that there is no such thing as too much power. I have never ever heard a complaint of having too much power in anything.

Ralph, on a side note, my Mother drives a 06 GT vert and is in her mid 70's and loves the thing. She thinks she is the only senior citizen that likes these cars. I told her about you and while Im not sure of your age she said said she would love to meet you. :hysterical: She does not know a thing about cars but will tell you flat out when she steps on the Mustang it will go! :hysterical: The rear tire wear prove this as well. :redcard: She makes hard take offs without ever spinning a wheel. Honestly, I cant believe she has not got a ticket because she has cut some capers in this car. One time she called to say how good it ran at 85. She was late to somewhere and needed an excuse I guess.

My Father who is not a Mustang guy got busted when the GPS in the car showed his top speed. It was triple digits. :hysterical: He didnt know how to reset the thing and got caught.

People talk about how reckless young people are but sometimes its funny to hear some stories of the older folks putting the hammer down. :stirpot:

From the 'older people driving crazy department'

A family member (by marriage) told us about the time that he was picked up by his aunt--who had a surprisingly souped up early 60s Dodge (like in the song Little Old Lady From Pasadena).

Anyway, she was sitting at a stoplight with him when he was in high school, and these kids next to her were revving their engine and shouting at her.

Light goes green and auntie floors it.... He asks her what she's doing, and she says, "Well, they just made me so mad."

curious as to how much different the engines would be between the eco F-150 and Mustang....would it not just be camshafts, compression and software?.....

And that requires a lot of R&D and durability testing, etc. My point is you don't just throw the F150 engine into the Mustang for free. There are significant costs involved and those costs have to be justified against additional sales or other benefits. Given that Ford is still in the red I'd be surprised to see it right now. Maybe down the road, but not now.

I'm 68. I don't go down the drag strip any more, but try to keep up with what's going on in the performance world. I know this....engines are designed so well these days, and so efficiently, for their intended purpose, there is less and less HP left on the table to get back by traditional hot rodding tricks. Mustangs already come with an efficient 2 1/2" exhaust system....you gain almost nothing by changing out the exhaust, the 2010 doesn't even need a cold ait kit when you change it's tune to malke about 10% more power, and you can get 3.73's from the factory now....a good street performance gear. But they sure benefit from a tune, especially on the automatics to stop the computer from pulling timing and fuel when it gets close to a shift.

I can't wait to see what some of my tuning friends with dyno's will do with the SHO....and hopefully same engine in the Mustang. 500 RW should be easy with more boost and tuning changes. And I imagine someone will figure out how to fix any weak tranny (and half shaft) issues the SHO has. It's amazing to see those old turbo Buicks with updated blocks, bigger turbo's, and much higher capacity fuel systems making over 800 HP on the dyno. And those amazing 90's turbo 3 liter Supra's, making over 900 HP on the dyno's with stock blocks. Those old Supra's were not appreciated when they first came out. They sure are now by anyone who knows about performance vehicles.

Point is....the TT EB 3.5 has even more potential. It will just take a while for the parts and tuning to be developed. It doesn't really matter what HP Ford calls it, since that's determined by what's stored in the computer from the factory. It will be easy to take HP up to the max the stock fuel system can support, with no parts changes.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Point is....the TT EB 3.5 has even more potential. It will just take a while for the parts and tuning to be developed. It doesn't really matter what HP Ford calls it, since that's determined by what's stored in the computer from the factory. It will be easy to take HP up to the max the stock fuel system can support, with no parts changes.

It will get a following, it will happen faster if it ends up in the right car. Take a look at the 2.7l TT in my S4. Big power can be made pretty easily all things considered. They really need to shove it in the fusion!

It will get a following, it will happen faster if it ends up in the right car. Take a look at the 2.7l TT in my S4. Big power can be made pretty easily all things considered. They really need to shove it in the fusion!

just an FYI...theres an AWD Fusion with the 3.5 eco in it circling test tracks...apparently its a MONSTER....but ford...if you are listening...PLEASE lets see what it can do in a purely RWD chassis...and NOT a pickup