2011 Mustang engine specs leaked!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like its DI...with standard awd.

All non-turbo DI plans were scrapped over 2 years ago. As a matter of fact, Ford will be "modifying" it current purchase agreement with its "preferred" Powertrain Controls supplier. More "in house", less "out house" (How do you say "out house" in German ?)

?.........I truley doubt there will be an AWD Mustang....ever....

Roger that !

I believe BlueII mentioned awhile ago that new heads were in development for the cyclone engines. It wasn't clear if they were for use across the board or just for rwd applications. With new heads probably also means hotter cams and intakes. I don't think it sounds unreasonable to gain significant hp if the entire top end is changed. Also, I imagine that to date, the applications the cyclone has been used in ,has required it to have "RV" type cam profiles and long runner intakes, all to promote low end responsiveness. If the engineers are turned loose on it with no requirement that it be acceptable at motivating 5000lbs and awd, it should have no trouble making 315hp. I would also second the idea that 315 may be be a premium or E85 rating (like they do with the F150.)

BTW, a 300hp Fusion Sport would sound interesting as well.

All non-turbo DI plans were scrapped over 2 years ago. As a matter of fact, Ford will be "modifying" it current purchase agreement with its "preferred" Powertrain Controls supplier. More "in house", less "out house" (How do you say "out house" in German ?)

Roger that !

aushaus?

Rumor is, the prices really will not go up much, as the new engines were already figured into the 2010 price increases.

New MKS with 315hp standard AWD would really go a long way towards negating those complaints about the new Taurus stepping on the MKS's toes.

I know, not Mustang, but interesting, none the less.

Rumor is, the prices really will not go up much, as the new engines were already figured into the 2010 price increases.

New MKS with 315hp standard AWD would really go a long way towards negating those complaints about the new Taurus stepping on the MKS's toes.

I know, not Mustang, but interesting, none the less.

That'd be good news (the first point), as the Mustang can get a pricey now with all the goodies....

And I agree about the MKS thought.

I think they could & I wish they would. BlueII mentioned a while back that with knock sensor technology, that Ford and many others will go start giving ratings based on 93 octane premium unleaded but not require it.

One problem is that 93 octane fuel isn't available in much of the country. The premium standard is 91 octane.

The MKS 3.7L was just a stroked 3.5L - they didn't do any other improvements due to time and resource constraints - or so I was told. New heads, TiVCT, intake and exhaust improvements and higher compression should easily reach 315 even without DI.

Just because they weren't thinking DI for NA 2 years ago doesn't mean that's still the case. Nobody would have predicted that they'd launch the SHO at the same time as the base Taurus either, but they did. Give Mulally some credit for turning the engineers loose.

Just because they weren't thinking DI for NA 2 years ago doesn't mean that's still the case.

You missed the point.

They WERE thinking non-turbo DI on just about everything 2 years ago. Then they finally realized how little it got them and just how big the bill would be. (Not to mention putting themselves in a position where one supplier would have its fingers in every powertrain and that supplier does not seem overly concerned about on time delivery !)

They WERE thinking non-turbo DI on just about everything 2 years ago. Then they finally realized how little it got them and just how big the bill would be. (Not to mention putting themselves in a position where one supplier would have its fingers in every powertrain and that supplier does not seem overly concerned about on time delivery !)

So what's GM's Excuse?

You missed the point.

A lot can change in 2 years.

Bingo! EXACTLY what I have been saying from square one...and in sincerity I dont think jumping from 265 to 315 is feasible with a 200cc jump in displacement.....my guess 20 hp bump in HP and Torque.....max 30...no way 42.....besides that, cross the 300 hp line and insurance comes into play and alienates the "youth" crowd they attempt to appeal to in the first place....

it is possible because the RWD layout allows for better air flow to the engine.

Interesting.

The exact same comment I got from my inside source !!!

If Nissan can get 330 hp out of their 3.7L V6 then why can't Ford get 315?

Remember it will be mounted longitudinally in the stang, not east/west like the MKS/Taurus, etc. which allows better exhaust options.

And I don't even have an inside source - just common sense!

Setting aside the Mustang info (though it sounds awesome!) I am very interested in this news about possible increases of power numbers for the 3.7V6 in the MKS, MKT and possibly other future F/AWD products. If this happens (and I think it has to because 270+ HP is not enough in this market...they need 290 HP at the least) I believe the MKS and MKT, etc will get a huge image boost because while they seem to be great cars with (in my opinion) awesome styling inside and out, an increase in their base motor's power will give them significant image boosts.