2010 Ford Taurus.

..until I saw a white base Taurus on the podium at Bankston Ford.

I thought it was kind of exaggerated in photo's with its large, muscular proportions but it looks amazing. It has replaced the Fusion as my favorite Ford sedan, ever.

I can't get over how great it looks, especially relative to photos.

Will Ford eventually offer the upgraded Durtec 3.7 in all of their cars that have the D35? More specifically, will Ford offer their 300hp(Roughly) 3.7L in the mid-pack power Taurus or as the base Taurus? Assuming that the EcoBoost 4 engine isn't offered as a base engine.

The Mustang is supposedly getting a 300hp 3.7L. In my opinion, this is the perfect engine for the Taurus driving thru the front or optional AWD. The SHO seems to be overkill in terms of price/performance.

..until I saw a white base Taurus on the podium at Bankston Ford.

I thought it was kind of exaggerated in photo's with its large, muscular proportions but it looks amazing. It has replaced the Fusion as my favorite Ford sedan, ever.

I can't get over how great it looks, especially relative to photos.

Will Ford eventually offer the upgraded Durtec 3.7 in all of their cars that have the D35? More specifically, will Ford offer their 300hp(Roughly) 3.7L in the mid-pack power Taurus or as the base Taurus? Assuming that the EcoBoost 4 engine isn't offered as a base engine.

The Mustang is supposedly getting a 300hp 3.7L. In my opinion, this is the perfect engine for the Taurus driving thru the front or optional AWD. The SHO seems to be overkill in terms of price/performance.

Ok, you scared me there for a second with your topic title description....

As for the 3.7, that would all depend on where they want to go with Lincoln, as the 3.7 is currently (with exception of MKX - likely changing with redesign, Navigator, and Town Car) the standard engine across the lineup, and they've said they want the 3.7 "Lincoln exclusive," besides Mustang's application.

2011 Mustang with a Lincoln motor....hmmmmmm, sounds like a good advertising plank. I think Ford needs to expand the use of Eco in the rest of the engine plans....what would a 3.5L/3.7L Duratec be like with gas direct injection but not turbo'ed...name like EcoDura...or just use the ECOnetic name from across the pond...

ECOnetic for non-turbo'ed gas direct injection engines

EcoBoost for the turbo versions

What a way to spread development costs.....

I ordered a silver Taurus Limited with black interior July 24th. I

wonder when it will arrive at the dealership?

Congrats, and it took about 3 months for me to get my Flex, but there were commodity holds at the time.....I think general estimates are usually 6-8 weeks...but I dunno.

I too heard the 3.7L was to be a Lincoln exclusive, but it can't be called "Exclusive" if Mustang and F-150 will be using it. I'm sure the Taurus will gain power in it's next reincarnation and they will only do so much to squeeze much out of the 3.5L. Do we know if there's some specifics as to why (other then an extra .2( make the 3.7L a Lincoln specific engine? Is it quieter? Does it have some other attributes to improve NVH ?

I too heard the 3.7L was to be a Lincoln exclusive, but it can't be called "Exclusive" if Mustang and F-150 will be using it. I'm sure the Taurus will gain power in it's next reincarnation and they will only do so much to squeeze much out of the 3.5L. Do we know if there's some specifics as to why (other then an extra .2( make the 3.7L a Lincoln specific engine? Is it quieter? Does it have some other attributes to improve NVH ?

I'm thinking perhaps they can still call the 3.7 "Lincoln exclusive" because of the different power outputs (and applications --- RWD) it'll have in Mustang and F-150? Maybe?

I'm not even sure why Ford had to go out there, and state that the 3.7L would be Lincoln "Exclusive" I mean, what do they really gain from it? Every other manufacturer share engines between their regular and luxury brand.

This would be the MKZ would gain the 3.7L as well? And then what becomes of an entry Lincoln sedan like that Hunchback hideous C Concept? Can't stick the 3.7L on that, so what will be the engine, a 2.0L Egoboost? Yet, not shared with any other Ford?

They should not have said anything and kept quiet...

I'm not even sure why Ford had to go out there, and state that the 3.7L would be Lincoln "Exclusive" I mean, what do they really gain from it? Every other manufacturer share engines between their regular and luxury brand.

This would be the MKZ would gain the 3.7L as well? And then what becomes of an entry Lincoln sedan like that Hunchback hideous C Concept? Can't stick the 3.7L on that, so what will be the engine, a 2.0L Egoboost? Yet, not shared with any other Ford?

They should not have said anything and kept quiet...

I dunno, perhaps it was a stupid move, but if that's the only mistakes they're making, I'm fine with that.

They're trying to shed the stigma that Lincolns are just tarted up Fords, and by giving the Lincolns a different/"better" standard engine, it's another "easy" way to do that. If you think about it as well, the rebadged products are the MKZ, MKX, Navigator, and Town Car. Well, we know the only way, especially now that Navigator is viable is if you keep it largely the same/close to Expy. Town Car is dying anyway. MKZ just got it's MCE, so nothing can be done to change it's look further until the next-gen model, and MKX is just about to get it's MCE, and as will MKZ, you can't change it's shape from Edge until the next-gen.

Its hard to call the 3.7L Cyclone a lincoln exclusive NOW. As I recall, a certian Mazda by the name of CX-9 and 6 seems to use a 3.7L Cyclone derived engine. (Yes, I KNOW that the mazda variant has some differences, but, in general, the public that actually cares about this sort of thing already knows that Mazda is using it, and the ones that don't couldn't even care if it IS a Lincoln exclusive).

Here's my take. I think the exclusivity to Lincoln has to do with FWD/AWD vehicles. In other words, there won't be any Ford platform mates with the 3.7 (no 3.7 Edge, Fusion, Taurus, Flex, etc.). The Mustang & F150 are unique to Ford, therefore won't trample on Lincoln's exclusivity.

Regarding 'Exclusive': My take on it was Mr. Fields using old-fshoined marketing to generate traffic although it has gone (and going) in other vehicles.

The DI in 3.5 by itself has been discussed at length in other threads. The general consensus is it is not cost-effective at this time. I wouldn't knock the D35 itself because it's still a relatively new engine. I'm sure there'll be improvements over time.

I got to test drive one while the dealership was putting new tires on my Mustang.

The handling while not sporty was very competent. The tires never squealed and there was no body roll even as I took a highway cloverleaf at 55 mph! This car (the awd) does not feel like a 4000+ lbs car.

The details both inside and out are amazing. You could have this car for months and find new cool style details. It seems more luxurious than a luxury car. I hate to say this is a much better looking car than the new Mustang.

Quiet! You can barely hear the engine or suspension. At 4,500 rpm the engine is a muted whine- Almost like you are hearing an engine to a car down the street. It is almost like driving an electric car. There is little wind noise too.

Dislikes:

The door handle is so far forward, it makes the door awkward to shut. That's it.

This is as close to a 10/10 as you can get. I'll say 9.999999!

GT, that's exactly what the wife was thinking. Her lease is up on her edge in March and we are starting to look around. I mentioned the Taurus and she was not liking the idea. She really liked the MKZ (everything has been photos off the internet). This weekend we went in just to look at the different models. She immediately ran to the MKZ's and liked them. Then I showed her the Fusions (Sport, SEL, etc.) and she wasn't diggin it.

So... I said they have a Taurus Limited inside. She agree'd to "look" at it. At first you could tell she liked it , but didn't want to give me the satisfaction. Then after a few minutes she started talking about all the great features and feel of the center console goodies. I kept telling her it's a BIG car , which it is, but she was still loving it. By the time we left, she said that will be her next car. I'm happy because I also love it, just a little worried about it's S-I-Z-E...

Edited by Hydro

GT, that's exactly what the wife was thinking. Her lease is up on her edge in March and we are starting to look around. I mentioned the Taurus and she was not liking the idea. She really liked the MKZ (everything has been photos off the internet). This weekend we went in just to look at the different models. She immediately ran to the MKZ's and liked them. Then I showed her the Fusions (Sport, SEL, etc.) and she wasn't diggin it.

So... I said they have a Taurus Limited inside. She agree'd to "look" at it. At first you could tell she liked it , but didn't want to give me the satisfaction. Then after a few minutes she started talking about all the great features and feel of the center console goodies. I kept telling her it's a BIG car , which it is, but she was still loving it. By the time we left, she said that will be her next car. I'm happy becuase I also love it, just a little worried about it's S-I-Z-E...

Your wife has good taste! I was impressed with the red 2010 SHO that Ford was sending around

to dealers here in the midwest. My wife liked it also, so we ordered a silver Limited. I asked them

to also order a red one so I would have a choice, but they didn't want to do that. Oh well, the silver

is easier to keep clean.

Edited by steve577

IF you want a LAGRE SEDAN I don't see that there is any other choice. Impalla sucks, 300 is getting old and is a gas hog, the Asians don't make anything that big do they? Germans might but you can't afford them. I really would not even know what to cross shop if I was looking at at Taurus.

IF you want a LAGRE SEDAN I don't see that there is any other choice. Impalla sucks, 300 is getting old and is a gas hog, the Asians don't make anything that big do they? Germans might but you can't afford them. I really would not even know what to cross shop if I was looking at at Taurus.

Mainstream, the largest Asian cars are Avalon, maybe Maxima, Genesis, and I think that's about it.

The 2010 Buick LaCrosse appears to be a close match to the 2010 Taurus.

The 2010 Buick LaCrosse appears to be a close match to the 2010 Taurus.

Ah yes! That is the one other car that does catch my eye. I wonder if I can get it for the same price as a Taurus? Also isn't the back seat and trunk much smaller? But yes you are correct I would like to test drive a Buick before I bought a Taurus.

Save yourself the hassle and go with a G37x. Bests the SHO in about everything.

You would be wrong.

Once you select the AWD option box you are locked out of the "meat and potatoes" of the Sport Package. The upgraded brakes, LSD, summer tires and sport suspension cannot be had with the X.

Edited by Michael Reynolds