We need a Prius!

mustang6172

I was thinking about how the Prius sells so much better than all other hybrids, and I noticed a trend. When you buy a Prius, everyone knows your driving a hybrid. All other hybrids just put small badges on the car (and then there's the black air scoop on the Escape Hybrid). When you drive a Prius, everyone sees that you care about the environment. It lets you show the world all the wonderful things you're doing for it anonymously.

Of course the Prius is not an attractive car: it looks like an opossum getting it on with a dustbuster. So the uglier we make this thing, the more people can pretend to sacrifice. This'll be the easiest project ever undertaken!

• Like 1

I agree a Prius-killer would be good, mustang6172 :)

some time ago there was mention of a "whitespace vehicle" that I really thought would be a 2010cy/2011my Extenz/Volt-ish thingie (& HOPED it'd be a MERC!!!) ...maybe even beat the Volt to market!

th_ELECTRON.jpg < click

or maybe:

th_MERC_C3.jpg < click2

but just recently I saw a ~2012~ date for it :(

so now I'm hoping my hopes are still right and the date was either wrong

or deliberate misdirection B)

:nonono:

I disagree entirely. Ford is getting quite the reputation for its hybrid vehicle program without a vehicle like the Prius in its lineup. Ford should just continue what it is doing and aim for making all of their existing vehicles class-leading in fuel economy. That would do far more for overall sales and image than marketing an overpriced dustbuster.

• Like 1

I disagree entirely. Ford is getting quite the reputation for its hybrid vehicle program without a vehicle like the Prius in its lineup. Ford should just continue what it is doing and aim for making all of their existing vehicles class-leading in fuel economy. That would do far more for overall sales and image than marketing an overpriced dustbuster.

not exactly flip-flopping here (actually not at all) so clarifying

imho the days of a unique-looking HYBRID are over

& Ford's way of having them completely integrated as just trim is correct

ie the Prius is now wrong marketing

however

for an Extenz/Volt type imho a unique model still could be a good method

UNLESS

Ford intends to bring out trim-level Extenz in multiple models Before the end of the first tophat on the initial offering

otoh

IF the whitespace IS to be a Merc,

this could be a way of Adding a (Much Needed) new model to the lineup...

imho

Fomoco MAY be philosophically against having a drivetrain-specific model

but

sometimes one has to accommodate the metal limitations of the consumers

ie they require a simple-choice best/Green answer

Edited by 2b2

Ford registered a name that's something like Extendz/Extends some time ago

that a number of posters think will be for a Volt-like range-extender drivetrain

edit: of course they don't HAVE TO use it ;)

Edited by 2b2

I was thinking about how the Prius sells so much better than all other hybrids, and I noticed a trend. When you buy a Prius, everyone knows your driving a hybrid. All other hybrids just put small badges on the car (and then there's the black air scoop on the Escape Hybrid). When you drive a Prius, everyone sees that you care about the environment. It lets you show the world all the wonderful things you're doing for it anonymously.

Of course the Prius is not an attractive car: it looks like an opossum getting it on with a dustbuster. So the uglier we make this thing, the more people can pretend to sacrifice. This'll be the easiest project ever undertaken!

I prefer the "ordinary" normal-car looking hybrid.

+1 While I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with a hybrid-only model, I would want it to look like as normal a vehicle as possible. At that point, however, I would suppose that that might pretty much eliminate the point of it being a hybrid-only model, as they could just develop it alongside the other vehicles already in the lineup.

I sure hope that name is just a joke.

extenze.jpg

Me too....I think it was just "Extend" though, not "extenze"

Ford registered a name that's something like Extendz/Extends some time ago

that a number of posters think will be for a Volt-like range-extender drivetrain

edit: of course they don't HAVE TO use it ;)

As I said above, I think it's just "Extend."

I really think if tackled properly, maybe a Prius could be 'politely debunked' in a commercial if they would show not just the mileage and charge cost, but also BATTTRY RECYCLING PROBLEMS AND REPLACEMENT COST...wouldnt doubt maybe the hydraulic hybrid or something similar could be better 'green' economy if the TOTAL costs including the disposal/replacement energy consumed were factored in...

BATTTRY RECYCLING PROBLEMS AND REPLACEMENT COST...

And how many batteries have been replaced in Hybrids? I know they cost alot, but in all seriousness, how many batteries are replaced with in 8-10 years of use in a Hybrid car. I don't see someone keeping a car longer then 10 years since even with a gas powered car, the costs of fixing it get prohibitive.

I really think if tackled properly, maybe a Prius could be 'politely debunked' in a commercial if they would show not just the mileage and charge cost, but also BATTTRY RECYCLING PROBLEMS AND REPLACEMENT COST...wouldnt doubt maybe the hydraulic hybrid or something similar could be better 'green' economy if the TOTAL costs including the disposal/replacement energy consumed were factored in...

Yes, but the same argument could be flipped and used against Ford's hybrids....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The Pruis is a POS with which Toyota did an excellant job at marketing. Ford already makes enough cars that have weaksauce motors in them, instead they should concentrate on high output motors that they can put in the mustang and trucks and charge a huge premium on. I garuntee they could do better business selling high powered sports cars and trucks for $50k each rather than econobox's for $20k each.

I think people overestimate the "look at me" factor of the Prius. Sure, for some that is an appeal, but I think there are other, more compelling reasons, to look past the fugliness and buy a Prius. 1) It gets really good fuel economy. 2) It is well "packaged" - it has a decent amount of interior room for a relatively small car. 3) It can be tech heavy (push button, nav, etc), but is reasonably priced.

Compare sales of the Insight to the Prius. It's not just about looks.

Ford has the technology to tackle all three of those benefits.

I loath the Prius, it screams pretentious, it's not simply a matter of driving a hybrid and (arguably) doing a good thing for the environment, it is the need to be in your face about it --- I consider myself a political moderate, but nothing screams more to me 'liberal hippy do-gooder I want to show the world I am better than you' than a Prius.

Did I mention I really hate the Prius? (Not hybrids in general btw, just that one).

• 4 weeks later...

A pile of hybrids are coming based off the new focus chassis.

The first iteration are to be standard hybrids. 48 MPG +

Second iteration are plug in hybrids

Third gen adds fuel cells to the mix along with better batteries and more powerful electric motors.

So in short, Ford has a plan.

I really think if tackled properly, maybe a Prius could be 'politely debunked' in a commercial if they would show not just the mileage and charge cost, but also BATTTRY RECYCLING PROBLEMS AND REPLACEMENT COST...

For what it is worth, replacing all of the hybrid batteries in a Prius is probably around $2,000 to $2,500 for the parts. Not sure how difficult or laborious the procedure is.

As far as recycling worn out batteries goes, there is a ready market for them, since mining expensive metals like nickel and rare earth metals from a pile of worn out hybrid batteries is likely to be a lot less expensive than mining the metals from the dirt.