Ford to Build Kuga/Escape in Louisville

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that the Kuga will be produced for EU export. One wonders how that will play over where the hidden subtext is that the US were once colonies. Don't know that any mass market vehicle has ever been built here and sold over there.

Well, Europe certainly has their version of NIH. The two efforts I was somewhat involved in were the Probe and the Cougar, both of which were made in the U.S. and sent to Europe. I know I'm biased, but it seemed as if Ford Europe did everything in its power to make the Probe fail. And then, even when they were the engineering force behind the Cougar, they still didn't sell worth a damned and also left us with a car in the U.S. that was sub-par in many ways.

But it's a brave new world with a lot more dependence and cooperation. So I've got my fingers crossed. There is nothing I would like to see more than U.S. exports to Europe. With the Euro hovering at around $1.50, it might turn out to be a great deal.

But it's a brave new world with a lot more dependence and cooperation. So I've got my fingers crossed. There is nothing I would like to see more than U.S. exports to Europe. With the Euro hovering at around $1.50, it might turn out to be a great deal.

The dollar/euro thing came up on a recent Autoline Afterhours. All on the panel agreed that the U.S. could become a big exporter of vehicles during the next few years. The Kuga could be the first of many vehicles built in the U.S. and sent to Europe.

I hope there is an Escape tophat. I have no interest in Kuga.

IMO, with both this vehicle and the Fusion Ford runs a risk of letting the tail wag the dog. It is tempting to ooh and aah over the European offerings, but the reality is that the Fusion & Escape are (and by no small margin) better sellers than the Mondeo and Kuga.

Any area where a compromise must be made between EU and NA tastes should err on the NA side, as this is a FAR, FAR, FAR more important market for these products than the EU.

IMO, with both this vehicle and the Fusion Ford runs a risk of letting the tail wag the dog. It is tempting to ooh and aah over the European offerings, but the reality is that the Fusion & Escape are (and by no small margin) better sellers than the Mondeo and Kuga.

Any area where a compromise must be made between EU and NA tastes should err on the NA side, as this is a FAR, FAR, FAR more important market for these products than the EU.

I agree RJ.....it's obvious that people like the Escape as-is, so why drastically change that to make it look like the competition, when it already does as good, if not better than them?

I understand the whole consolidation thing, but still...

I say they give the Kuga to Mercury (heck even call it Mercury Kuga), give Lincoln it's version, and redo the Escape to be similar looking to today's model or something - maybe they could have it be a bit of Flex meets Explorer - just thinking out loud.

I hope there is an Escape tophat. I have no interest in Kuga.

Huh? Did I miss something or is it not safe to assume that the Kuga and Escape will be one and the same?

"That’s the replacement for the Escape,” Robinet said. “They may rename it the Escape for the North American market.”

Huh? Did I miss something or is it not safe to assume that the Kuga and Escape will be one and the same?

"That’s the replacement for the Escape,” Robinet said. “They may rename it the Escape for the North American market.”

That's what is speculated - but many (including myself) are still hoping that the Escape will retain it's own tophat, sharing just platform and powerpacks with the Kuga.

See, that's an absolutely asinine statement. The NA market Escape dwarfs Kuga volume--if Ford's expecting that they can sell 20k Kuga clones in the US just because Europe likes it, they're delusional.

At least we can be almost certain they won't rename it.

See, that's an absolutely asinine statement. The NA market Escape dwarfs Kuga volume--if Ford's expecting that they can sell 20k Kuga clones in the US just because Europe likes it, they're delusional.

At least we can be almost certain they won't rename it.

But you really think Mulally of all people would allow the Escape name to just be dropped like that?

For now...

And for the foreseeable future.

EU market is as mature as the US market, the EU market skews smaller and lighter than the US market (Focus & Fiesta sell better in EU), and the future, frankly is neither the EU nor the US. It's China. If the Kuga outsells the Escape it will be off volume in China, not Europe.

And that assumes that the day of reckoning somehow does not come to the opaque, corrupt, self-dealing, and (IMO) unsustainable Chinese economy.

And for the foreseeable future.

EU market is as mature as the US market, the EU market skews smaller and lighter than the US market (Focus & Fiesta sell better in EU), and the future, frankly is neither the EU nor the US. It's China. If the Kuga outsells the Escape it will be off volume in China, not Europe.

And that assumes that the day of reckoning somehow does not come to the opaque, corrupt, self-dealing, and (IMO) unsustainable Chinese economy.

Well once the Russian economy, theres more sales. Australia is set to get it and i believe Argentina. Frankly I dont see the problem with it taking over the Escape(as long as it has that name).

seeing as I'm rarely concerned about realistic things,

I've been thinking for some time that the Kuga would most directly become the Lincoln MKG

&

lately started wondering if that'd be the only model at first

- reverse/like the 500(Taurus) was out years before the MKS -

so Escape and Mariner would continue for a while

Well once the Russian economy, theres more sales. Australia is set to get it and i believe Argentina. Frankly I dont see the problem with it taking over the Escape(as long as it has that name).

I ain't holding out much hope for Russia any time soon, and Australia & Argentina combined might have a market the size of Canada....

And all the Escape's marketing has been built around it as an SUV: Check out the press kit photos---

Who says "SUVs" have to be boxy.

Right. And who says that cars have to sell?

The Escape is the best selling compact CUV, and your idea is that they can fiddle with the formula with impunity?

Let's just base the F150 on the Ranger, and the Mustang on the Fiesta and have done with all of Ford's class leading vehicles at once while we're at it?