Fiat to kill Dodge car brand

AlRozzi

I think Fiat is going to be in for a rude awakening if they think they can just substitute Fiat cars for Dodge cars in the current dealership network and still be able to maintain sufficient volume to stay in business.

may be right....they have a pretty big mission to bring names such as Fiat, Alfa and Lancia ( ? ) back into american dinner conversations....pasta of course....

Fiat is nothing more than Chrysler of Europe. How long can they last here? With the expense of ending up with more capacity than Fiat-branded cars will actually find demand for here, they will get dragged down quickly.

my take, they may do well with their smaller ( read lower profit )quirky cars such as the 500 and Mito....but I raise an eye brow at the American consumer embracing their larger ( more profitable ) lineups....it WILL be interesting though....Consumer reports may have a FIELD day on the italians as far as dependability goes, but that remains to be seen.........

Well, it will certainly be interesting to see how this shakes out. The Challenger launch seems to have been a waste of time and money. The Charger, with it's poor suspension, ergonmics and interior comfort, will be a memory. The value of all older Dodge cars will go way up once Dodge is removed from the market.

Ya know..I read that article and came away with a sense that Fiat is not going to kill the division (Dodge) but will rightfully euthanize several of its poorest performers...Sebring, Avenger, and Nitro to name a few....all are out of step with today' marketplace and need to be scrapped....I see several Fiat built cars under that Dodge banner...but as for Fiat itself? Not a large rollout...not yet.

These models are ending:

Chrysler PT Cruiser

Chrysler Sebring

Dodge Avenger

Dodge Caliber

Dodge Grand Caravan

Dodge Nitro

Jeep Commander

Jeep Compass

Jeep Patriot

The Caravan? Just going with the T&C? Wow...that'll cost them a LARGE number of Dodge faithful that don't even know Chrysler exists and that the T&C is essentially the same thing.

These models are ending:

Chrysler PT Cruiser

Chrysler Sebring

Dodge Avenger

Dodge Caliber

Dodge Grand Caravan

Dodge Nitro

Jeep Commander

Jeep Compass

Jeep Patriot

I second fordmantpw's questioning of the Grand Caravan's possible death. The rest I agree with...

my take, they may do well with their smaller ( read lower profit )quirky cars such as the 500 and Mito....but I raise an eye brow at the American consumer embracing their larger ( more profitable ) lineups....it WILL be interesting though....Consumer reports may have a FIELD day on the italians as far as dependability goes, but that remains to be seen.........

Not only that, but they have to retool the factories here to build them. The Euro is too expensive to send cars here. So at the best they will take a few years to send cars here. I mean look at the Fiesta. Imagine if Ford did that with all teir cars?

It's been sad over the years watching Chrysler getting raped by the Germans, l wonder if the the American consumer will warm to small Fiats as rebadged Chryslers as you don't have much of history of buying small cars with your cheap gasoline prices?

Hyundai & Kia have managed to break into the US market with increasing sales of cheap cars, so cheap South American made Fiats might appeal to cash strapped Americans looking for a cheap car with good MPG. But most Brits that buy lots of small cars still prefer to buy a high tech reliable £10,000 trusty Fiesta rather than a £4,995 cheap Fiat Panda with a poor record of quality record in Europe. Chrysler/Fiat will find North America a lot harder to crack than South America with small cars like the fire breathing Tata Nano that Fiat will be helping produce/sell in the future as well South America, the rebadged Chrysler 500 and small Alfa's might crack the small car market which is very small. l think the timing of Fiat arrival is wrong at the moment, sales might gain traction if permanent $100 oil price sticks because of new higher Chinese oil consumption in the near future..

Chrysler should bring back the Imp l liked that fun little car when they sold it in Europe, Chrysler Rootes brand of the past used to be more in tune with what Europeans can afford to buy-run rather than a huge Crossfire type flops they imposed on us today that looked destined to failure from day one here because you would need to take out a bank loan to fill a Crossfireup every week with our high fuel prices.. .

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Hyundai & Kia have managed to break into the US market with increasing sales of cheap cars

Eh, somewhat, but really, the areas where Hyundai/Kia are make inroads are with their midsize sedans and crossovers. They are becoming more successful as their prices increase. Certainly will be interesting to see the market's reaction to Fiat though for sure either way.

Eh, somewhat, but really, the areas where Hyundai/Kia are make inroads are with their midsize sedans and crossovers. They are becoming more successful as their prices increase. Certainly will be interesting to see the market's reaction to Fiat though for sure either way.

Cheap n' cheerful price, low cost A to B motoring is probably only appealing factor that Kia-Hyundai have that most American buyers find attractive. You would not buy one because you really wanted one, l hired a prepaid cheap small car in Cyprus last time we went last year hoping to get a Fiesta but we ended up getting a Kia Pride instead, because all the Fiesta's were out on hire at Alamo, all that was left was a car park full of unwanted Kia Prides to chose from. What a pile of shit the Kia Pride was, thank God we were not planning on doing to much driving in it..

Once the credit crunch ends so will the big rises in Kia-Hyundai sales Stateside, folk wont want second best, second rate rubbish cheap n' nasty plastic Korean junk..