Finally found CBS Sunday Morning's Ford video.

I have noticed that the front-end of the new Taurus just blends in with the automotive landscape, nothing stands out from afar (unlike the 2008/9 Taurus. That is not the case with the 2010 Fusion, although I dont' think the 2010 Fusion has a particularly good design overall. When the Taurus is in your presence however, it cuts some nice lines and looks impressive (its size also helps). I think the next Taurus needs to focus on a bolder fascia (and be less conservative/Euro).

I suppose what bugs me about the Fusion is that the design is not quality, it lacks the refinement and design detail you see from competitors like the Malibu, Accord, and Camry. The Taurus, OTOH, is right up there. However, the price and content are just right on the Fusion so these design details are insignificant to most consumers as long as the overall effect is fresh enough to make them sign the line.

Edited by BORG

I don't see how you can proclaim that the design isn't quality. You don't like it, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.

This is always comparative, but when you look at a pieace of design, you know when the lines have been carefuly considered, every detail well integrated, you know when one vision has been fully realized without compromise (and boy is there compromise in most product design which is always evident with Ford). This is especially true with MCE, which starts off with a grand design and is widdled down to work with the same packaging. I almost never like MCEs, especially if they retain too much of the original design (they should not have gotten away with that on the Fusion).

I always have a hard time communicating what I mean when I say that the 2010 Fusion is not good design, but I would have you take a Malibu or Accord and start comparing the sheetmetal sculpture. And then I'll have you consider the size of the gaps in the metal between the elements in each car. And then I'd have you count the number of seems used for the trim pieces on each car. And then I'd have you consider the complexity of the design, what about each design makes it challenging to produce a quality product (a hood that meets the fascia flushly versues a hood that floats over the trim, a one piece chrome surround versues several pieces with different materials). Certain car designs have enormous design complexity which I admire, and certain cars are just simple and compromised to cut cost. The Fusion is the later (more so in 2010 than in 2006). But, what Ford lacks in design, it makes up for in content (such as standard projector style headlamps). The Fusion design also stands out, even if I don't think the design is good.

Edited by BORG