Fiesta dealer training

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing is new under the sun!

You "It can't be done" guys (you know who you are RJ) are like the bystanders at Kitty Hawk in December 1903.

You can be absolutely sure that someone is going to figure out how to do it better, faster, and easier. If you are not spending some part of every day thinking of ways to improve your business model (no matter what you do, and ESPECIALLY if you sell cars for a living) then you WILL eventually be left in the dust.

Go ahead and pound me, but almost every traditional business model in our entire economic system is antiquated and needs overhaul (especially buying cars and selling houses). And the funny thing is car dealers and realtors will be the first to insist it can only be this way! Better start thinking about it.

I personally have never had a pleasant dealer experience, even though my Ford guy at Phil Long in Colorado sends me birthday cards and car wash certificates. There has to be a better way - and someone will figure it out.

Edited by Kev-Mo

You "It can't be done" guys (you know who you are RJ) are like the bystanders at Kitty Hawk in December 1903.

You can be absolutely sure that someone is going to figure out how to do it better, faster, and easier. If you are not spending some part of every day thinking of ways to improve your business model (no matter what you do, and ESPECIALLY if you sell cars for a living) then you WILL eventually be left in the dust.

Go ahead and pound me, but almost every traditional business model in our entire economic system is antiquated and needs overhaul (especially buying cars and selling houses). And the funny thing is car dealers and realtors will be the first to insist it can only be this way! Better start thinking about it.

I personally have never had a pleasant dealer experience, even though my Ford guy at Phil Long in Colorado sends me birthday cards and car wash certificates. There has to be a better way - and someone will figure it out.

I'm learning Indian...because when i call to complain of substandard customer service, I would like to be able to understand the guy/ gal.....

the car business wil probably NEVR change as long as negotiations are part of the "game"....try making an offer on a DVD on Amazon..or your grocery nmarket...or your gas station or......dont want franchaised delaer, then pay MSRP and shut the hell up, and be COMPLETELY satisfied even if there are issues....in a PERFECT world there wouldnt be ANY human interaction...... god forbid......THOSE are dirty words.....next up, restarants where you cook your own food and then do the dishes.......

Edited by Deanh

I'm learning Indian...because when i call to complain of substandard customer service, I would like to be able to understand the guy/ gal.....

I heard that for awhile, Dell was offering a "premium" service plan and one of the features was that the person answer the phone would have English as their primary language.

That will help when talking to about 20% of the Ford Engineers in Dearborn. Also learn Chinese and Arabic.

ok Wiz...you just made my day....lol! but sadly SO true....people want to cut corners. delete middle men and save a few pennies...THEN all that happens is the consequences of such desires become an issue...seems to me people will NEVR be 100% happy no matter what...for every action there is a re-action...myself, i would rather TALK to someone than hit an Xmit button or prompt the spoken language of my choice, then get pi$$ed off when the voice activated directory sends me on a 15 minute goosechase, and I would rather pay an extra buck or so to avoid that crap. GIMME A LIVE PERSON ANYDAY OF THE WEEK....

I heard that for awhile, Dell was offering a "premium" service plan and one of the features was that the person answer the phone would have English as their primary language.

HAHAHAHA....at an extra charge of course....how bout the same principals selling cars....if you want a discount deal with Rude Ronald...pay a bit more get Nice nick.....

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Gee. I didn't know that flying was ILLEGAL in all fifty states, back in 1903.

besides that there was a BIGGER crowd at............Man's First Powered Flight

Richard Pearse, Waitohi, New Zealand, March 31, 1902.... moonshine, hakas ...the works...

Edited by Deanh

Gee. I didn't know that flying was ILLEGAL in all fifty states, back in 1903.

Couldn't you do it 1 by 1? I mean I'd be willing to take a drive 1/2 way across the country to pick up my new car to save a few thousand $$. It would be a great vacation and nothing like a nice long road trip with your new toy!

If you're selling over the net and using a 3rd party for delivery do you necessarily have to be licensed in that state? It's no different than buying widgets over the 'net. I give them my credit card and a couple days later UPS shows up with my widgets.

Returns wouldn't be an issue. When was the last time someone returned a car that they just didn't like (like you can with a blender at Target)? Lemon laws, yes, but not buyer's remorse type returns. You spend tons of $$ on a car and house and those are 2 products that you car SOL if you don't like, don't meet your expectations, etc.

It's an interesting topic and I'd probably be OK with buying a car over the 'net. An idea for the test drives would be doing it via rental agencies. Say, pay $50 for a day and be able to test drive as many cars as you like for up to an hour each.... Would be an interesting idea. I'd pay $50 to drive the cars I was interested in.

now try and return a $40,000 vehicle................BIG BOX! I COULDA BOUGHT A SMART CAR!

Come on, my last line of the post clearly indicates "it probably wouldn't work for cars". My post was in reponse to yours about returns with Amazon. I've never encountered an inconvenience with returning an online purchase. For that matter, depending on the store, returns there can be more complicated and annoying than online.

I'm NOT arguing for or against online car sales---I'm simply pointing out that saying something like "Yeah, try doing a return with Amazon" as if even THAT is hard, so a car would be impossible is inaccurate.

Frankly, I prefer the model as it is now. I get x-plan pricing, so there's no haggle, there's no arguing over a $300 "dealer service fee" and the purchase is straightforward and done. (And I don't plan on buying any non-FoMoCo products anytime soon).

Couldn't you do it 1 by 1? I mean I'd be willing to take a drive 1/2 way across the country to pick up my new car to save a few thousand $$. It would be a great vacation and nothing like a nice long road trip with your new toy!

If you're selling over the net and using a 3rd party for delivery do you necessarily have to be licensed in that state? It's no different than buying widgets over the 'net. I give them my credit card and a couple days later UPS shows up with my widgets.

Returns wouldn't be an issue. When was the last time someone returned a car that they just didn't like (like you can with a blender at Target)? Lemon laws, yes, but not buyer's remorse type returns. You spend tons of $$ on a car and house and those are 2 products that you car SOL if you don't like, don't meet your expectations, etc.

It's an interesting topic and I'd probably be OK with buying a car over the 'net. An idea for the test drives would be doing it via rental agencies. Say, pay $50 for a day and be able to test drive as many cars as you like for up to an hour each.... Would be an interesting idea. I'd pay $50 to drive the cars I was interested in.

How many jobs do you think dealerships create?

I find it interesting that Ford is finally figuring out that lots of hi income and hi net worth folks do and will buy inexpensive cars if they are hi quality items. People have reasons to purchase vehicles other than status.

Very true. My father-in-law is worth many millions, yet he has no intention of ever paying big $$$ for a car. His current drive is a Nissan Maxima and an AWD Subaru to tow the boat.

For us this may seem pretty sad, but like you said, it's not always about status.

Couldn't you do it 1 by 1? I mean I'd be willing to take a drive 1/2 way across the country to pick up my new car to save a few thousand $$.

1) Besides the cost of lobbying, what would be your argument in favor of revoking any state's numerous franchise laws?

How would you, the mfr, respond when the NADA and the local lobbying agency put out press releases like:

"FORD PROPOSAL WILL DAMAGE SMALL TOWN ECONOMIES"

"FORD PROPOSAL WOULD ELIMINATE 15,000 JOBS"

"LITTLE LEAGUES, HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS AFFECTED BY FORD PROPOSAL TO ELIMINATE DEALERS"

Aside from the huge cost of lobbying, aside from the grassroots PR nightmare, you have the gigantic logistical costs associated with setting up a means of selling and delivering a $30,000 object via a direct sales channel.

2) You wouldn't save a 'few thousand dollars'

the car business wil probably NEVR change as long as negotiations are part of the "game"....try making an offer on a DVD on Amazon..or your grocery nmarket...or your gas station or......dont want franchaised delaer, then pay MSRP and shut the hell up, and be COMPLETELY satisfied even if there are issues....in a PERFECT world there wouldnt be ANY human interaction...... god forbid......THOSE are dirty words.....next up, restarants where you cook your own food and then do the dishes.......

I've bought a motorcycle, a car below trade-in value and many other items on EBAY.

ok, lets get clinical...say you buy a vehicle X-plan over the net....car has to get shipped..$....then car has to be delivered....$....YOU have to do your OWN DMV work...time and ...you guessed it....$.....taxes would have to be handled since they are different every state...theres more time researching and handling THAt issue, but your time is endless and obviously worthless...and all this time, the HORRIBLE dealership has been doing all this for your lazy asses and you still bleat...INGRATES.....lol....so go ahead, lobby, obviously you do not mind potentially paying MORE for obviously MORE inconveinience for tasks you have taken for granted for YEARS.....and then there is of course serviceing the vehicles...oh yeah....call the web....they OBVIOUSLY have a vested interest....just like Kelly Blue Book buying all those trade ins.....truth be told gentlemen...you have NO idea how convenient car buying has become BECAUSE of the exact reasons you are complaining about.....

Kev...if you know what you are doing and do some preliminary research its a REALLY easy process....I bought my Acura in 15 minutes, Mini in 1/2 an hour.....Bike took 3 hours over the net....can be as simple or dis-tasteful as you wish it to be.....the ONLY issue is finding the right person you wish to do business with....and guess what...THAT equation denotes ANY form of business...not just cars....